Multimedia Hard Drive - advice (1 Viewer)

Deadmanposting

Supporter
I'm about to buy this yoke

I think it has everything I need.

It does not have built-in Wi-fi though. Should that be as simple as sticking a wire in the back?

I'm tempted to pay the extra to have installed, but I find that very emasculating

My basic question is whether this model is missing any significant features. It seems right enough though.
I just want to be able to torrent movies on my computer and transfer them (don't care how) and use stuff like Netflix.

Help me, Thumped.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Western...rive/1308088.p?id=1218249064011&skuId=1308088

1308088cv1a.jpg

This media center is a network media player with a built-in 1TB hard drive. Store and play your videos, music, and photos, watch movies, and access the the Internet.

SMART SET-TOP BOX

Get a world of instant entertainment with this smart set-top box. Connect to the Internet and stream movies, listen to music and access a wide variety of other content on your HDTV.
Learn more about smart products.

Netflix - YouTube - Pandora - Facebook - CinemaNow - Hule Plus

WHAT'S INCLUDED

• Western Digital WD TV Live Hub Media Center with 1TB Hard Drive
  • Remote with batteries
  • AC adapter
  • Owner's manual

PRODUCT FEATURES

Built-in 1TB hard drive
Provides ample space for storing your favorite media, including videos, photos and music. Automatically finds and categorizes media and displays it in an easy-to-view menu system.
Connect to the Internet
Play YouTube videos, games, see photos on Google Picasa Web Album, play music on Deezer or SHOUTcast, or TuneIn Radio and watch daily podcasts from CNN, NBC, MTV, ESPN and other online content (availability varies).
Ethernet port
Access media stored anywhere on your home network and stream video, photos, and music from any Mac, PC or network drive in your home.
Multiroom media server
Stream any file on the media center to a Western Digital TV Live Plus or TV Live media player or any DLNA/UPnP compatible TV, Blu-ray Disc player or game console.
Full high-definition 1080p video playback
Sit back and enjoy the stunning picture quality of brilliant high-definition video and the crystal clear sound of digital audio.
Watch movies and access the Internet
Stream movies from Blockbuster On Demand or Netflix (subscription required, additional fees may apply), view photos, check your e-mail and more.
Wide-ranging compatibility
With WD TV Live Plus media players, WD TV Live media players, most DLNA/UPnP-compatible TVs, Blu-ray Disc players or game consoles.
Supported formats
Include AVI, MPG, MPEG, VOB, MKV, TS/TP/M2T, MP4/MOV, M2TS, FLV, WMV9, JPEG, GIF, TIFF, BMP, PNG, MP3, WAV/PCM/LPCM, WMA/WMA Pro, AAC, FLAC, MKA, AIF/AIFF and Ogg formats for a variety of entertainment options.
Animated, intuitive interface
Makes it easy to navigate and enjoy your media and Internet favorites.
Wi-Fi-ready
Supports a wireless network connection to your home network with an optional USB wireless adapter (not included).
Works with most USB keyboards
Use the on-screen keyboard, an alphanumeric keypad or attach your USB keyboard for easy text input. Ideal for searching videos on YouTube or updating your status on Facebook.
SPDIF digital output
Sends digital signals to your A/V receiver for an immersive surround sound experience.

So I set this up.

Everything seems fine. I can stream stuff from my laptop to the TV without connecting it, which I like.
But getting media from my PC to the HD is another matter.
All I can see on my PC Network Places is a folder for the WD with 'Sample Media' folders in there.
I can put items in these folders and access them via the 'Files' tab on the on screen interface but I don't know how to get them onto the actual 'Video' and 'Music' tabs.

Any help?

Does any of this make sense?

I have the Media Player connected to the router with an ethernet cable.
It is also connected to the TV via the red/white/yellow cables.
There is no other ethernet port on the Media Player so I tried to connect it with a HDMI cable which seemed to do exactly nothing.

Also, for whatever it's worth, it's a horrible feeling being this helpless.

i would imagine so, but like i said the one i have doesn't have an internal drive PLUS the interface in general isn't the mae west.

streaming = no bother

why aren't you connecting it to the TV by HDMI?

I could only see one HDMI input on my TV

I think I need to take it off the wall though. There are probably more that I couldn't get at.

I'll say this. It's pisser for Netflix.

no problem

the TV mine is connected to doesn't have HDMI, just DVI, so netflix won't work as there's no HDCP support on DVI so i don't get a picture. bummer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back