mosney documentary (fri sept 14) (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter u:m
  • Start date
  • Replies 16
  • Views 2K
  • Watchers 2

u:m

The premier screening of the new Irish documentary Mosney takes place in the Irish Film Institute in Temple Bar on Friday September 14th at 5.00 pm, as part of the Stranger Than Fiction Documentary Festival.
The film looks at life in Mosney, a former Butlins holiday camp, now a holding centre for asylum seekers

MOSNEY
Ireland • 2007 • 96 mins
Director: Nicky Gogan & Paul Rowley
the Irish Film Institute
Friday September 14th
5.00 pm

TICKET INFO HERE

VIEW TRAILER HERE

Thirty miles north of Dublin lies a collection of colourful chalets and rusting fairground rides. This is Mosney, for fifty years a family holiday destination, which at its peak could accommodate 2800 campers and 4000 day visitors. Today, it is a holding centre for asylum seekers: in this surreal global village people wait years for decisions on their asylum claims. There are children who were born here. Mosney, a crumbling relic of a pleasure centre, is the only world they know. Over three years, the filmmakers lived in Mosney, gaining the trust of the residents and an unprecedented insight into lives spent in constant fear of deportation. From Congo, Kurdistan, Nigeria, Somalia, Sri Lanka and countless other countries, we hear why people have been forced to leave everything and move to a country full of strangers. We learn about the trauma of waiting in this bizarre processing centre, and the disintegration of aspirations, ambitions and mental health while the slow wheels of our administration ponder their lives.

The Coca Cola slide is still there! fuckin deadly it is .|..|Was up this summer cos a few of me mates were in the variety!

and i finally won in laser dome!! :D

See the missus :)D) produced this Timo, and Dennis did the soundtrack. Definatly gonna try book a ticket for this. Looks interesting and well made too, from the clip-ette there. A good thing to do on 'culture night'...I'll also spread the word to some of the Residents-against-racism activists I know. (if they don't know about it already)

By many accepted definitions mosney is a concentration camp-

[SIZE=-1]Concentration camp: "a camp where persons (as prisoners of war, political prisoners, or refugees) are detained." - Webster's Dictionary, Tenth Edition
www.nps.gov/manz/terminology.htm

[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]A concentration camp is a large detention center created for political opponents, aliens, specific ethnic or religious groups, civilians of a critical war-zone, or other groups of people, often during a war. The term refers to situations where the internees are persons selected for their conformance to broad criteria without judicial process, rather than having been judged as individuals. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concentration_camp[/SIZE]

to be honest donal asylum seekers in ireland have good freedom of movement compared to many countries such as australia where peopel are detained in prisons in the outback etc. its the direct provision system-food, accomodation and 19 euro etc , slow hearing and appeals process, the nature of the hearings appeal process etc that are the problems.

I reckon it was the Dragon slide that hurt your arse. I have fond memories of standing under the mushroom shivering with my pubeless willy

people in direct provision are allowed go where they want as long as is not outside the state - 26 counties - and that they are not away for more than one night though they have to inform the boss of the hostel, then agin if your on fuck all money you probably cant afford to go very far.

i only wish i had a scanner. i have very funny picture of me wearin a giant blue and yellow wicklow tracksuit on my way to mosney (for the community games) to Represent... in art! gedoing! now people actually pay money to wear naf tracksuits. oh what a world

docu sounds interesting, hope i have time to go see it..

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back