• Watchers 2

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
Dunno if anyone was following this fiasco yesterday... the rest of the world was

An Irish senator has come up with an idea to silence the trolls on the web.

Senator Eamonn Coghlan suggested that making people pay to post on social networks or register passport numbers against IP addresses could help cut down on anonymous posting, according to the Irish Examiner. He made the comments to a legislative committee examining the relationship between social media and cyberbullying.
http://mashable.com/2013/03/06/pay-to-comment-online/

Eamonn Coughlan is one of the greatest athletes this country has produced. His tendency to continually refer to himself in the third person also makes him one of our greatest clowns.

Actually, I fully endorse his idea to make people pay to post on social networks. Weeds out the idiots & increases quality (like MetaFilter's approach of users having to pay to register).

With twitter's new policy of handicapping 3rd party clients, I wouldn't be surprised if the nerds walk out en masse to App.net in a few years. And where the nerds go, the rest usually follow.

Coghlan is a continual disappointment these days. His athletic exploits are legendary, and there's many a tale of him chugging beer the night before getting up in the morning to smash the opposition in the Wannamaker Mile or whatnot. The stuff sportsfans thrive on.

But there's this. And last year he was whinging that Michelle S-DeB wasn't invited to represent Ireland when the Olympic torch was here, complaing that she had never tested positive and still had her medals. This is despite the fact that a judge at the Court of Arbitration for Sport in Lausanne has decreed that she was the only person who could have tampered with her sample when Al and Kay Guy called to test her and the subsequent sample she provided contained enough alcohol in it as to be lethal to a human being, if it indeed had come from the urine of a human being.

Rotten stuff.

Perfect example of why there should be a barrier to entry for using twitters.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0307/374626-tweet-record-autism-ireland-athlone/

Hundreds of students from the midlands are teaming up with Autism Ireland volunteers over two days to attempt a new world record by tweeting over one million times.

The students from Rochfortbridge in Co Westmeath have already started the Twitter record attempt from the air.

They tweeted while skydiving from 2,400 metres (8,000ft) above the Royal Canal in Co Longford.

Up to 500 students at Athlone Institute of Technology began the tweeting record attempt on the ground at their new International Indoor Athletics Arena.

Perfect example of why there should be a barrier to entry for using twitters.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0307/374626-tweet-record-autism-ireland-athlone/

Simpletons. Whatever happened to packing shopping bags? The lasses from the local Camogie club in Gorey were doing this recently and recieved the princely sum of €2 from myself, even though I was merely buying 4 cans of Newcastle Brown Ale and did not require a bag. If they were falling from the sky (and tweeting while at it), they'd have received diddly squat.

Simpletons. Whatever happened to packing shopping bags? The lasses from the local Camogie club in Gorey were doing this recently and recieved the princely sum of €2 from myself, even though I was merely buying 4 cans of Newcastle Brown Ale and did not require a bag. If they were falling from the sky (and tweeting while at it), they'd have received diddly squat.

Have to admit that I get annoyed at bag packers being there everytime I shop. Why can't Tescos or Dunnes make a donation? I don't want to be hassled into making a contribution.

For an almost indescribably bizarre reason Eamon Coughlan turned up at a family dinner in my parents house some years back. He seemed nice but then this was before he was a senator and we didn't discuss the Internet.

Our Senators, like our education system are the finest in the world

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypBGI2_YXeo&feature=youtu.be

[video=youtube_share;ypBGI2_YXeo]http://youtu.be/ypBGI2_YXeo[/video]

I was seriously waiting for her to say "and I heard that there are beings called Trolls, which live in the internet who cause all sorts of mischief and they get into your bank account using fibre optic cables is it true minister ?"

Seriously how do you get this job ? I'm fucking running next time.

You gotta be nominated so become a leading industrialist,educator,cultural type or make friends with the Taoiseach.
And vote against its abolition in the forthcoming referendum.

So basically this is the pasture they put the impotent bulls out to is it ? How much does it pay ? Seriously RTE or TV3 or whoever wants to make a documentary about it I'm totally up for trying to get into this senator position.

Yes I would most certainly vote for it's abolition. That video alone should be enough to have it abolished.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back