mono-ing the bass (vinyl related thing) (1 Viewer)

kthozoid

Website
kthozoid.com
ok, i might need to get something ready for a vinyl release sometime soon. the thing is, the stuff is really heavy drone-sludge like stuff with lots of low end on it. but some of this low end is hard-panned in places with differing low-end info on either channel.

so, i believe this situation can cause problems for vinyl cutting, such as making the stylus jump. the tracks in question are quite long too - 12mins, 8mins and 18mins.

does anyone know if this kind of thing is taken care of the pressing plant or should i try and nail the problem before it goes out to them?

to be honest a vinyl release hadn't really crossed my mind when we were putting this together.

ok, i might need to get something ready for a vinyl release sometime soon. the thing is, the stuff is really heavy drone-sludge like stuff with lots of low end on it. but some of this low end is hard-panned in places with differing low-end info on either channel.

so, i believe this situation can cause problems for vinyl cutting, such as making the stylus jump. the tracks in question are quite long too - 12mins, 8mins and 18mins.

does anyone know if this kind of thing is taken care of the pressing plant or should i try and nail the problem before it goes out to them?

to be honest a vinyl release hadn't really crossed my mind when we were putting this together.

pretty much anything can be cut, but if you've hard panned bass and you want to keep it that way, it'll probably have to be cut a low level.

The pressing plant might mono the bass to avoid plackback problems, so that'll change the intentions of your mix.
There's a number of variables that'll contribute to getting the best cut from your mix, some potential problems can be tackled at the mastering/cutting stage, but you might not like the results.
If you think you've got a lot of potential problems, a good idea would be to use a good vinyl mastering engineer and get a master lacquer done, rather than getting it pressed directly by a plant.

Some tips:
http://totalsonic.net/vinyl.htm
http://www.recordtech.com/prodsounds.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back