Mongrel and Foggy Notions RIP (1 Viewer)

Okay, so we agree that, in general, print journalism is far better. So basically it's free stuff that has made the internet rule and push print mags under.

Sounds familiar.

Somebody should write a thesis on the internet and how it's making people lower their standards. People will read more and more crap writing, listen to crappier mp3s, have crap conversations on message boards, watch crappier versions of movies, and play crap online games instead of proper things like sports and going to the pub. And you do it all while glued to your screen, not interacting with people.

Somebody other than me.

money is the root of all evil

Somebody should write a thesis on the internet and how it's making people lower their standards. People will read more and more crap writing, listen to crappier mp3s,

ah I disagree, if anything the internet has gone "there it is, there is everything, and it's all yours to browse (that's an internet term folks) through" and we've gone "uh, how do we know what's good or not good, who's going to tell us..." and a zillion websites crop up to tell us, but at the end of the day it's up to you to decide what you like and what you don't...

I'd say more people are listening more varities of music then ever were pre-internet days, sure there'll always be hype and spin but there is a chance to make up your own mind on stuff like never before

the argument about crappy resolution or whatever is a technical one which will be resolved in five years time or so...

though I do agree with you about print design, it is just 'nicer'. People like having 'artifacts' or nice things around their house that make them feel good about who they are, and for many of us CDs, DVDs, books and magazines are a major part of it

God, we're such dorks

Nah. The problems occur when mags and newspapers start trying to imitate the internet, instead of playing to their own unique strengths: "We need more pull quotes! More bite-size pieces! More navigation! Hundreds of pictures! Fifty sponsor logos!"

well I wonder what magazine you've been reading lately... :cool:

I did'nt read that many mongrels, but for a free mag it was pretty good. You'll always get hot air in mags like this, but they have to write somthing for christs sake. The illustration was great, and some of their stuff was pretty funny.

You'd pay for worse.

Shit one all round.

Sad to see Foggy Notions go. Some issues were definately better than others, but it seemed that the people involved genuinely cared about it and put a lot of time d effort into it. The cds were consistantly interesting. Pity about the irregular releases and stuff too. That can't of helped.

Mongrel can go suck a fuck from a diarrhoea-ridden asshole of a leper.

Nah. The problems occur when mags and newspapers start trying to imitate the internet, instead of playing to their own unique strengths: "We need more pull quotes! More bite-size pieces! More navigation! Hundreds of pictures! Fifty sponsor logos!"

None of these things happened to Mongrel/Foggy Notions of course - they both assumed their readers had a decent concentration span - but I don't think either of them were forced to fold due to financial pressures.

City Sickness, I'm told that that was you met the other night in the Oval. Hello and all that.

this dude was quite upset about it. it tore us apart.

mongeral once prank-called a friend of mine on the reception of a company where she worked, she just thought it was a random abusive call and was a bit weirded out by it, then we saw the "joke" in one of their issues, a little teeny tiny box... she felt bad, they got a tiny tiny box of crappy copy... it all seemed a bit wrong and shit really

The printing on both fn and mongrel was fantastic, if it was financial I'd say that embossed cover Mongrel did tipped them over the edge. I found the last ever Slate the other day, it was deadly when I was 15 reading it now just ruined how great I remembered it being.

Okay, so we agree that, in general, print journalism is far better. So basically it's free stuff that has made the internet rule and push print mags under.

Sounds familiar.

Somebody should write a thesis on the internet and how it's making people lower their standards. People will read more and more crap writing, listen to crappier mp3s, have crap conversations on message boards, watch crappier versions of movies, and play crap online games instead of proper things like sports and going to the pub. And you do it all while glued to your screen, not interacting with people.

Somebody other than me.

Thats like arguing that democracy is lowering the standard of political discourse and making it less meaningful and generally worse... in fact its the same process.

Thats like arguing that democracy is lowering the standard of political discourse and making it less meaningful and generally worse... in fact its the same process.

Yes, well, that's entirely possible but it doesn't change the fact that most writing on the internet is crap. Maybe some day it'll be great but right now we have to put up with mostly shite, and the more print mags that are gone, the fewer options we have. Sure, there's more on the Internet, and it's available to all (who have a computer), but more doesn't always equal good. Another thing is that the whole thing of picking up a magazine when, say, you're in town, leafing through it while having a cup of coffee, showing a friend something in it, bringing it home, putting it in your jacks so they have something to read while they take a shit, lolling on the couch while reading bits and pieces when the telly is on -- can you replicate that experience with a laptop/Internet, where it takes ages for pictures to download, you're waiting for crap anti-virus software to update, and your balls are getting fried by an overheating battery?

Having said that, I don't really read music mags that much. But I am disturbed by the fascination with the Internet, and the more I work with computers the more I think they are, in general, homogenising culture. Which is not good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back