Mongrel and Foggy Notions RIP (1 Viewer)

You must have really hated the writing in FN then dude. Some of pitchfork's copy is atrocious (mainly in the reviews rather than the news).

I don't read 5 pitchforkmedia.com reviews a day, but I read some especially for albums I know about or that they recommend.

It baffles me that people hate them or knock them for being "self-appointed taste-makers." They're appointed by everyone who reads them, appointed by virture of the popularity of their website.

If people just buy shit they don't like on the basis that its recommended on pitchfork its their own problem, not pitchforks.

If an album you like is slated by pitchfork, its your own problem, not theirs. They're just a free website giving their opinion and exposing lots of new artists to a much wider (world-wide in fact) audience, just as lots of other people are doing.

The writing in FN was never particularly bad or good, in fact I can hardly remember anything other than the Will Oldham interview (which I thought was cringeworthy) and the Dave Longstreth interview (which I enjoyed.)

All I remember of the rest is that it covered bands I mostly liked but didn't really reveal anything new about them and on occasion embodied some of the clichés of most music journalism writing that annoy me.

Pitchfork's interviews often stray into the cringeworthy status, but I like the way they are (seemingly) unedited rather butchered into feature articles with gigantic, misleading pull-out quotes.

I like their Guestlist feature and I like the Forkcast bit cos it has tons of vids and streamed songs, etc.

The news I can take or leave, 90% of it doesn't apply to me and a lot of it is written in some kind of hyper-smug knowing tone that can grate, but can also occasionally be funny.

On top of that via pitchfork I've gotten into tons of good bands, but mainly, I can thank them for the Wrens.... and its all for free!

edit:

FN Website is always seems to be really out of date. It should be like a hyper version of the left column of this page. With tons of shit about their gigs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back