Mogwai live in May (1 Viewer)

haven't got a clue whether they're sold-out from ticketmasta' but Sound Cellar should have some. They always seem to have a stash of tickets for sold-out stuff since they don't actually have one of those printing machines.

really liked em when young team and ten rapid came out - saw em at the limelight in belfast in 98 (man)and they were incredilble. cody was bland and i went off them - it was just like a photocopy of the aerial m record. (i know , i know mogwai=mbv+slint, but hey! they add something in to their influences!) But hearing 'take me somewhere nice' from rock action and seeing the tour documentary in the music centre about 2 years ago reminded me what i likes about them in the first place.

top tunes in some kind of order:
----------------------------------------
helicon 1
take me somewhere nice
tracy (kid loco remix from 'kicking a dead pig')
my father, my king
summer
stanley kubrick

awwwwww.....can't wait for the gig. bring the noise!

they're easily knocked but they have some heart rupturing tunes (in a good way!) they were/are sucking mcd's corporate cock though (as well as being sponsored by kappa and they've just given 'summer' to a levi's ad........) hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

just a buncha neds drinkin glasgow wine then......

they'd blow the rednecks off stage though cause the 'gwai ain't over dextrous and flashy......

Originally posted by spectraljanitor
they were/are sucking mcd's corporate cock though

this is from the q+a section on the mogwai site:

Q: The last time I saw you in Dublin the gig was moved from the Guinness Storehouse to the Redbox at the last minute as a sign of solidarity with Guinness Employees on strike. This time around you're selling your tickets through ticketmaster and being promoted by MCD (hiss). Just wondering how you can reconcile the conflicts inherent in supporting striking workers, yet using ticketmaster and the evil nasty money grabbing scene killing mcd when there are alternatives easily available in Dublin. Things like http://www.centralticketbureau.com/ for ticketing and lots of independent promoters like u-mack (http://www.groov.ie/ultramack/) and alpharelish (http://www.alpharelish.com/). Obviously looking for and dealing with independent in it for the kids type promoters and ticket bureaus in every city you play is hassle. At the same time, you obviously do care about anti capitalist in it for the kids type stuff, which is why you changed venue at the last minute last time you played causing lots of hassle for yourself and fans. Anyway, can't wait to hear Happy Music For Happy People, and I've got a nice shiney pair of hologramed ticketmaster tickets with ridiculously ticket no.s on them on my noticeboard, so see you in the village soon. cheers, michael who broke his ticketmaster boycott for you guys ;)

A: Hi Michael. The last time we announced an Irish show we got a pile of e-mails complaining anout MCD but when we tried to found out what they'd done wrong there was a deafening silence. MCD have always promoted our concerts in Ireland and our policy with this is to work with people who have done a good job until they stop doing so. In other places this has favoured small independent promoters but in Ireland the big guys do our shows. I don't see the an inherent conflict with supporting strikers and using a large company to promote our shows when they've done nothing wrong to our knowledge and have worked with us since day one. I did look at the sites you mentioned though and was impressed. Stuart

oops! forgot to mention "xmas steps" from 'no education=no future (fuck the curfew)' e.p. (not the cody rerecording)
Rocks and swoons in equal measure!

at least they're playing in da willage and not the fuckin ambassador.....

only have cody and rock action, and love both of em, prefer cody though

gotta disagree on them using vocals, the fourth song on rock action wit the bloke from sfa is great

RE: Will Oldham and Mogwai

Didn't Will Oldham have a song once all about some birds or something? It had a line something like...

Like the Song of the Mogwai without any words
Something something something One with the Birds

I like New Paths to Helicon 2
On some free cd with some Mag like Select

thats so fuckin weird i was just talkin about that song last night! it had me fooled too for ages. will had just come off tour with mogwai and recorded some songs with the silver jews guy for an e.p. 'blue lotus feet' and the song 'one with the birds' has the line "like the songs of the bog-white, without any words"....which i though obviously was "the songs of the mogwai"....not being up to date with my birdwatching i subsequently found out that the bog-white is a bird of some kentucky description....there ya go!

I always thought they were a poor mans Godspeed you....
And english band palying at the Constellation game....No?
Still not bad i guess, i have the Ten Rapid & Stanley Kubick ep- have`nt listened to them in years.Rather turn on some GYBE! or Fly Pan Am instead - would`nt go rushing to see them.

I wonder who would shine the most, if Mogwai played a gig with Sweep The Leg Johnny...
Quality always wins out.

Originally posted by Rimbaud
I always thought they were a poor mans Godspeed you....

woah! no comparison in my book. mogwai are a guitar band (originally), GYBE are much more classical based. like saying the rednecks are a poor mans jimmy cake...

And english band palying at the Constellation game....No?

mogwai are scottish and were releasing stuff before constellation started.

Exactly!!

o, now i get it, they're all instrumental bands - sure just fuck them all in the same bucket, right? sure its all 'post-rock' eh? *puke*

Did`nt do them much good either way...

"palying" - what a strange word....

Well a Scottish band playing at the Montreal slow-core game....No?

Ah - i give up - i`m only jealous of them...:(
They`re brilliant...!!ironyyy

this will oldham bird song, is it on an album?

i think i only heard it once about 3 years ago and have been trying to find it since ...

Originally posted by conor
o, now i get it, they're all instrumental bands - sure just fuck them all in the same bucket, right? sure its all 'post-rock' eh? *puke*

:( ;) *Drops head and walks solemnly off into the rainy distant...*

Well a Scottish band playing at the Montreal slow-core game....No?

no doubt they were influenced by slint, tortoise and all that but that sorta stuff wasn't restricted to the u.s./canada. you had bands like flying saucer attack and movietone doing similar stuff in england in the early 90's and they're as much an influence on mogwai if not more so given their locality. to say they're a poor man's godspeed you is just silly seing as both bands started around the same time a few thousand miles apart and have completely different approaches to their instrumental shtuff. i'm just being protective as i got into the whole montreal/chicago/constellation/temporary residence thing via mogwai but i honestly don't think they're a poor mans anything. not like they're genius or anything but.

Originally posted by spectraljanitor
thats so fuckin weird i was just talkin about that song last night! it had me fooled too for ages. will had just come off tour with mogwai and recorded some songs with the silver jews guy for an e.p. 'blue lotus feet' and the song 'one with the birds' has the line "like the songs of the bog-white, without any words"....which i though obviously was "the songs of the mogwai"....not being up to date with my birdwatching i subsequently found out that the bog-white is a bird of some kentucky description....there ya go!

Thats hilarious...!
It will never be the same again..

Classic mis-hearing of lyrics, part 2348

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back