Miscellaneous Articles You Should Read (5 Viewers)

i've seen this skeleton. It's quite something. But that whole museum is exploitative. Syphilis skulls, feotus' in formaldehyde, all that stuff.

It's a really tragic story though. I got quite emotional looking at his skeleton. I felt bad. Now no one will feel nothing, because they can't see it. Don't know what to make of that.

i've seen this skeleton. It's quite something. But that whole museum is exploitative. Syphilis skulls, feotus' in formaldehyde, all that stuff.

It's a really tragic story though. I got quite emotional looking at his skeleton. I felt bad. Now no one will feel nothing, because they can't see it. Don't know what to make of that.
Anatomy collections strike me as being unnecessary in the 21st century. Even when I studied anatomy, they didn’t really serve any educational purpose. The (consenting) donated cadavers that we learned on did but the “cabinet of curiosities” style museum was (and is) still a freak show.

Anatomy collections strike me as being unnecessary in the 21st century. Even when I studied anatomy, they didn’t really serve any educational purpose. The (consenting) donated cadavers that we learned on did but the “cabinet of curiosities” style museum was (and is) still a freak show.

Some people understand things way better when they can see it in 3d though?

Some people understand things way better when they can see it in 3d though?
Yes but my point is that there is a wealth of anatomical information available donated by consenting donors. We also have 3D models (plastic, wax, and digital), reconstructions, and better ways of learning about the human body than with "HEY LOOK AT THIS FREAK BABY IN A JAR!" type museums.

And, ehh, where could I see this Freak Baby In A Jar, I mean if one wanted to see such a thing

Just in case the article is paywalled or something, the museum is this one:

When I went there they were a little funny about people who weren't medical students, but we got in.

Just in case the article is paywalled or something, the museum is this one:

When I went there they were a little funny about people who weren't medical students, but we got in.
I thought the Hunterian were open to the public. The one in TCD is medical school only.

It's not an article, it's not even quite a manual. But if I'm spending a long time commuting underground without internet access, there's always this PDF to fall back on.

Also, if you know anything about this stuff, page 8, paragraph 1 blew my freaking mind.

I thought the Hunterian were open to the public. The one in TCD is medical school only.

It's not NOT open to the public, if you know what I mean. I think my girlfriend at the time told them she was researching for a novel. Which was mostly true.

I suppose the museum doesn't want to be known as a freakshow or whatever.

It's not an article, it's not even quite a manual. But if I'm spending a long time commuting underground without internet access, there's always this PDF to fall back on.

Also, if you know anything about this stuff, page 8, paragraph 1 blew my freaking mind.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

ONLY DOPES DON'T RESPECT THE CONTINUITY OF THE LATTICE STRUCTURE!!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back