Minor Pleasures (8 Viewers)

say 100 people usually use a bus to get to the city, on a weekday; but on saturdays, that number drops to 20. by the logic of the way 'nine times less crime' was used in that article, you'd say 'five times fewer people use the bus'. but 'five times fewer people' would also mean minus 300 people are using it, because in this case, you *do* have a handle on how many fewer people use it, which is 80.

this sort of shit drove me nuts when covid hit. you'd a depressingly large number of journalists who didn't know how to report fairly basic statistics.

say 100 people usually use a bus to get to the city, on a weekday; but on saturdays, that number drops to 20. by the logic of the way 'nine times less crime' was used in that article, you'd say 'five times fewer people use the bus'. but 'five times fewer people' would also mean minus 300 people are using it, because in this case, you *do* have a handle on how many fewer people use it, which is 80.

this sort of shit drove me nuts when covid hit. you'd a depressingly large number of journalists who didn't know how to report fairly basic statistics.

I saw something in the paper over the weekend that misreported 'projection/forecast/modelling' as 'statistics'

Aha! Addition and multiplication are kinda the same thing in a way that subtraction and division are not, and you're saying that sometimes people will translate "X times less" into subtraction rather than division?

I mean - I wouldn't do that, but I guess if some people might then it's better to use different language

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

when your guitar player can use her left hand to gesture throughout the whole song, you know that shit is punk rock af

I like the studio version better

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I like the studio version better

I follow Kahokisss the great drummer of Otoboke Beaver on Instagram.

I left home at 1:05 pm today to go to see Wolf Eyes tonight. It's 7:30 almost time for doors to open now.
I am hopefully going to get next bus home instead.
I feel really tired and have no motivation to go to a gig. Especially as would only get home at nearly 3 am.
I woke up before 5 am and I am not putting myself through that.
I gave it a go and this never happened to me before so I can't complain.

I follow Kahokisss the great drummer of Otoboke Beaver on Instagram.

I left home at 1:05 pm today to go to see Wolf Eyes tonight. It's 7:30 almost time for doors to open now.
I am hopefully going to get next bus home instead.
I feel really tired and have no motivation to go to a gig. Especially as would only get home at nearly 3 am.
I woke up before 5 am and I am not putting myself through that.
I gave it a go and this never happened to me before so I can't complain.
take it easy man. Get that bus. Get home and get to bed.

feeling a bit that way myself to be honest

Can’t do them all. I didn’t even go into town for them in the end. I was definitely interested but there’s only so much I can pack into a week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back