Minor Pleasures (16 Viewers)

Ha, I wish. That’s the RTINGS place.
here, in your place do they have servers in cages?

I was down in the basement of our place, where they keep the big stuff. They have a fairly high security room, badge in, cameras, all of that. Then inside that room they have the special servers, which are literally locked in this silence of the lamb style cage.
Cables running in and out of them... i think through the ground? Or ceiling, can't remember. Massive iron clanging type cage, that you need to unlock.
Mad stuff. I don't think I've ever seen a set up like that in any other gigs. I've seen locked racks in CoLos, but not Silence Of The Lambs servers with cams feeds, and a dude "watching" it.

Although I've seen that dude asleep a bit.

I was down in the basement of our place, where they keep the big stuff. They have a fairly high security room, badge in, cameras, all of that. Then inside that room they have the special servers, which are literally locked in this silence of the lamb style cage.
Cables running in and out of them... i think through the ground? Or ceiling, can't remember. Massive iron clanging type cage, that you need to unlock.
Mad stuff. I don't think I've ever seen a set up like that in any other gigs. I've seen locked racks in CoLos, but not Silence Of The Lambs servers with cams feeds, and a dude "watching" it.

If they had I wouldn’t be talking about it. But I’ve seen some secret squirrel shit over the years.

If they had I wouldn’t be talking about it. But I’ve seen some secret squirrel shit over the years.
yeah... probably a good idea alright.

I've just been fascinated what they store on those machines. Might be something dumb like payroll? But I suspect this might be different. i suspect some of them are airgapped.

Looks cool anyway.

Have seen this in my job yes. Also a server in a vault / ex safe room

There are some very paranoid people out there

Have seen this in my job yes. Also a server in a vault / ex safe room

There are some very paranoid people out there
Yeah. Thing is, infra guys tend not to do stuff unless they're forced to.
So maybe it's some lad writing regs being a bit paranoid, or some lad doing an amazing sales job.

And maybe it's PII, but I feel like there's PII on lots of boxes. I'd be curious to know what regs say there needs to be caged stuff inside a secure room.

Yeah. Thing is, infra guys tend not to do stuff unless they're forced to.
So maybe it's some lad writing regs being a bit paranoid, or some lad doing an amazing sales job.

And maybe it's PII, but I feel like there's PII on lots of boxes. I'd be curious to know what regs say there needs to be caged stuff inside a secure room.

cage not protect data from us, cage protect us from data...

ever read about the deal huawei had to do with the british government to allow BT to buy huawei kit?
triple airgapped rooms with the source code visible - but only if both a huawei and BT representative were both present.

I don't know much about this stuff, but I was allowed into room CCX123 or some such the other day. I've been in this building thousands of times since 2012, never saw this room. Needs a key and a pass and a code. Blinking lights and mouse poo, that's all I could see.

We sent a TV feed from the broadcast truck to the operator, so he could see what they see. That's all. Plugged in a telly essentially, I dunno.

Our datacentre was built to NATO standards. The bollards surrounding it would stop a tank.
further to this - shitloads of controls that are turned off. like the keypad entry to the rooms, where the numbers randomise on the pads after each entry. where if you lift a single ceiling tile in the building (one of the rooms is about 150,000sq ft IIRC), a they can tell exactly which one was lifted in the security room.

further to this - shitloads of controls that are turned off. like the keypad entry to the rooms, where the numbers randomise on the pads after each entry. where if you lift a single ceiling tile in the building (one of the rooms is about 150,000sq ft IIRC), a they can tell exactly which one was lifted in the security room.

I'd love to work for a super high end high-security firm

Just unloaded the tools out of the van, I'm on me hollyers.

I haven't given myself a Christmas bonus yet. Not sure how much I deserve.

I've sang this at least once a day for 3 months.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back