Minor Pleasures (8 Viewers)

Well actually there was a business idea that came up today. Getting stuff from one of the many garment shops around here. Printing something on it, and selling it to the gormless students. I'm not just here drinking you know.

there's a conspiracy theory in my organization that I'm a secret penetration tester.

(I'm not a pen tester, and I've told them I'm not. And they go ohhh, right right. And immediately accuse me of being one on the next call.)
What’s a penetration tester? I’m not sure I’m ready to Google that term.

I test the penetration.

I mean I DON'T. I DO NOT test the penetration. And it's a dirty fucking lie that I might.

Those dildos should not have been in background of that Teams meeting, and they were just left over from a friend. Who was just staying.

A friend.

Look, we're getting off the point here. It's all easily explainable coincidence.

I test the penetration.

I mean I DON'T. I DO NOT test the penetration. And it's a dirty fucking lie that I might.

Those dildos should not have been in background of that Teams meeting, and they were just left over from a friend. Who was just staying.

A friend.

Look, we're getting off the point here. It's all easily explainable coincidence.
This reminds me of the time I forgot to blur my background on Zoom - boy was I red faced trying to explain what a St. Andrew’s Cross was and why a well-known politician was availing of it during working hours. Chortle!

This reminds me of the time I forgot to blur my background on Zoom - boy was I red faced trying to explain what a St. Andrew’s Cross was and why a well-known politician was availing of it during working hours. Chortle!
There was a meeting, pre covid, up in the institute on the screen, we're sitting with our cups of coffee in the conf room, dept chief etc.

The presenter is chatting away on his Zoom call, and about 5 mins in a woman arrived into the frame and stood behind him, boobs out, watching proceedings.
So it was just him, and a massive set of boobs hovering over his shoulder, for about 10 minutes. Then she headed off about her business.

No one said a word.

Were they nice boobs at least? As the song probably goes, good boobs these days are hard to find.

A penetration tester is someone you pay to try to access your network, or to access stuff on your network that they shouldn't be able to access. The job can involve anything from sitting them at a desk and letting them plug into your LAN to see what they can access/get, to testing your external-facing stuff, to phishing/impersonating/social engineering your staff, to physical access security testing to see if they can access your premises or get into secure areas within your premises.

It's good fun. But also slightly terrifying. Also, it usually results in a pile of paperwork, which is zero fun. But worth it. Sort of.

A penetration tester is someone you pay to try to access your network, or to access stuff on your network that they shouldn't be able to access. The job can involve anything from sitting them at a desk and letting them plug into your LAN to see what they can access/get, to testing your external-facing stuff, to phishing/impersonating/social engineering your staff, to physical access security testing to see if they can access your premises or get into secure areas within your premises.

It's good fun. But also slightly terrifying. Also, it usually results in a pile of paperwork, which is zero fun. But worth it. Sort of.
yep, I've been involved in the cleanup after a pen test. It is never not messy

This comment is hilarious to my juvenile brain.
You know what’s not hilarious? Being handed hundreds of pages of “findings”, each with green/amber/red status and an explanation of just how terrible your security is. Then having to translate that into English for people who are very easily spooked by these things.

yeah, we have to react to a vulnerability scanner which is out of date and gives false readings. but no, this is gospel, you must fix this hole which does not exist.

yeah, we have to react to a vulnerability scanner which is out of date and gives false readings. but no, this is gospel, you must fix this hole which does not exist.
“Yes I’m quite sure Fancy Bear or APT27 are reeallly not interested in FTP access to your ancient laser printer, John.”

I presume there's an equivalent to hatstore.ie over your way, for all your unbranded hat needs...

Turns out there is. Horribly expensive. And massive ick looking at the photos, I just want a hat not an aspirational lifestyle choice.

Boss buys them from some place in Leicester, 5 or 10 at a time, about £3 each. But that probably means it was made by people who are essentially slaves. Leicester has that rep.

You know what’s not hilarious? Being handed hundreds of pages of “findings”, each with green/amber/red status and an explanation of just how terrible your security is. Then having to translate that into English for people who are very easily spooked by these things.
oh right. Yeah, this is a good point. You never, EVER want the head honchos running branches or whatever to see the results of pen testing. They'll read "277 Violations", and you'll have to spend several days giving emotional support.

That's the first rule of pen testing, hiding the results for as long as possible, from as many senior people as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back