Minor Pleasures (11 Viewers)

I don't think it's like Michael Jackson raping children
Kinda sorta.
More on the side of if we really dig someone's music, we can tend to look upon accusations as a threat to something/someone we love, and want to defend the accused, rather than side with the alleged victim.
We think we're being even-handed, but really we're biased because we are emotionally invested in the whole thing just fucking going away and not being true.
If it's someone we hate - we're very happy to go in all guns blazing.
Natural human reaction. We see things as we are.

A lot more people would be "wait let's hear the facts" on Damon Albarn or David Bowie, versus a little more "fuck that douchebag, hope he hangs" if it was Kanye or the 1975 dude.

But a big part of what victims face when they weigh up seeking justice against someone with significantly more power than them; the stan backlash.

Kinda sorta.
More on the side of if we really dig someone's music, we can tend to look upon accusations as a threat to something/someone we love, and want to defend the accused, rather than side with the alleged victim.
We think we're being even-handed, but really we're biased because we are emotionally invested in the whole thing just fucking going away and not being true.

A lot more people would be "wait let's hear the facts" on Damon Albarn or David Bowie, versus a little more "fuck that douchebag, hope he hangs" if it was Kanye or the 1975 dude.

But a big part of what victims face when they weigh up seeking justice against someone with significantly more power than them; the stan backlash.

No not really,
I loved Michael Jackson's music and I find it difficult to listen to now.
I didn't want to believe he fucked kids but yet here I am believing he did it

No not really,
I loved Michael Jackson's music and I find it difficult to listen to now.
I didn't want to believe he fucked kids but yet here I am believing he did it
Well, I read recently that this guy Gira's fans were apparently not big on holding back on attacking his accuser online
So there might be something to it..... your evenhandedness notwithstanding

I still dig Off The Wall

Kinda sorta.

I think the facts about Bowie are well known. Predatory child sex abuser.

If you like their music they are given a pass.
If you don't, they are disgusting paedophiles who should be locked up.

That's how I deal with it en nannyways.

I think the facts about Bowie are well known. Predatory child sex abuser.
Indeed

And here we have well-known feminist site Jezebel reframing it as something different

Unlikely Gary Glitter gets this considered, thoughtful treatment. But Paul Gadd didn't make Aladdin Sane.

Can we not talk about nice things here instead?

Barman just gave me an unbranded baseball cap from the lost and found cupboard.
It is so hard to find an unbranded cap. And I need them for work. Be nice to your barstaff.

It is so hard to find an unbranded cap. And I need them for work. Be nice to your barstaff.

i got given this Ferrari F1 team baseball cap signed by Michael Schumacher from a guy who did the telemetry for Ferrari, and then Red Bull I think.

It's like the opposite of unbranded, but when I got it I thought I shouldn't wear it because it's... special I guess?

It's weird, it doesn't really mean all that much to me. I was never all that into Ferrari F1 or Schumacher, but I recognise that it might mean something to someone. So it's just there, unwearable really.

i got given this Ferrari F1 team baseball cap signed by Michael Schumacher from a guy who did the telemetry for Ferrari, and then Red Bull I think.

It's like the opposite of unbranded, but when I got it I thought I shouldn't wear it because it's... special I guess?

It's weird, it doesn't really mean all that much to me. I was never all that into Ferrari F1 or Schumacher, but I recognise that it might mean something to someone. So it's just there, unwearable really.

In my footy work, I need a cap, because I'm outside, looking at stuff, I do literally need it. But wearing a branded thing, unless it's the correct brand for the club, is just asking for trouble. Best not antagonise them.

Like, last time I was home I was pleased and surprised that nearly everyone was wearing merch from the local GAA club, or rugby club or soccer ball club. I told the parents "if you're gonna insist on Xmas presents, just get me all the local merch". When I was young everyone just had ManU, Liverpool or Celtic jerseys. Nice that they're now supporting local clubs.

But I couldn't possibly wear even a cap with my local GAA team branding at work, the soccerball heads would go mental, not even understanding what it was.

They're very handy.
Every year or so, I buy a pack of 5 black ones

You lose them, or they get crap on them. Or whatever.

Embarrassed to say, but I wanted them cos Chris Evans wears one as Capt America when he's on the DL

1690915695197.png

But every time I wear it into work, the FP guy yells at me "I'M NAWT A FAHCKING COPP!"
cos Leo wears one in the Departed

1690915926352.png

They're very handy.
Every year or so, I buy a pack of 5 black ones

You lose them, or they get crap on them. Or whatever.

Embarrassed to say, but I wanted them cos Chris Evans wears one as Capt America when he's on the DL

View attachment 17397

There's actually a conspiracy theory regular who thinks I am now in the CIA here.

There's another black capped regular at the other end of the table, also quietly judging. Maybe we're accidentally gaslighting him.

There's actually a conspiracy theory regular who thinks I am now in the CIA here.

There's another black capped regular at the other end of the table, also quietly judging. Maybe we're accidentally gaslighting him.
there's a conspiracy theory in my organization that I'm a secret penetration tester.

(I'm not a pen tester, and I've told them I'm not. And they go ohhh, right right. And immediately accuse me of being one on the next call.)

I presume there's an equivalent to hatstore.ie over your way, for all your unbranded hat needs...

would something even like an army surplus story have them? There's a shop by me now that have them, the Military Depot or something it's called. They flog all sorts of crap from China.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back