Minor Pleasures (1 Viewer)

My chiropractor is in Gorey and got me from cripple status back to being a runner (of increasing laziness).

He's a fucking magician. €42 per repeat session.

Where's that alternative therapies thread? Chiropractors are another bunch of charlatans.
I've never been to one so i've never paid much attention to that whole area of controversy, but I had a vague idea that what they did 'worked' in a more concrete way than, say, magic stones or whatever. Tell me how i'm wrong.

I've never been to one so i've never paid much attention to that whole area of controversy, but I had a vague idea that what they did 'worked' in a more concrete way than, say, magic stones or whatever. Tell me how i'm wrong.

The basic tenet is that all ailments can be taken back to problems/misalignments in the spine. By manipulating the spine, any and all problems (not just back problems) can be sorted. It has a basis in spiritualism that is glossed over these days so not far off magic stones or acupuncture points.

It's weird how all these alternative therapies take one body part or system and create a service industry around it, making wide and unsubstantiated claims about its effectiveness. There is no evidence to support it and when journalists brought chiropractors to task over it, the chiropractors' association in Britain tried to use libel laws to stop the likes of Simon Singh from writing such sense. However, they dropped their case because they probably realised that it made them look like dicks (and they know that they can't defend the indefensible).

Well the lady who started that thread labelled herself as a complementary therapist the word alternative would suggest something that is intended or suggested as an actual replacement to established medicine which is a word she certainly did not use complementary therapy implies something different.

I was reading about how poorly performed chiropracty(?) can cause fatal stroke as it can put pressure on a major artery...but I started feeling faint so I stopped reading

Well the lady who started that thread labelled herself as a complementary therapist the word alternative would suggest something that is intended or suggested as an actual replacement to established medicine which is a word she certainly did not use complementary therapy implies something different.

Wait, does complementary not imply something that's a side order?

Wait, does complementary not imply something that's a side order?

The term was used very specifically there and not at all accidentally.
The new age is a bit fluffy bunny maybe it can be dangerous but it is also like if you bring some flowers in hospital it might not do them any good but will it do them any harm ? However the new age (refers actually to an 2600 year cycle Astronomy: precession of earth is maybe not really related Chinese stuff like acupuncture. Communist China actually enforced Thai chi on its citizens as a national health program it would never have been to thought to large groups of people in public before. Anyway it would hard to criticise her if she wants to help cancer those kinds of therapists would describe also themselves as "holistic" treating he person as a whole.

It all falls under the umbrella of not validated, scientifically and medically dubious treatments. I do recognise the difference between the terms apologies if it caused offence but until any of these treatments show a measurable effect, the terms alternative and complementary are really only marketing terms. "Oh we're not mad like those alternative crystal healing types, our complementary medicine is based on other bogus principles."

Regular medicine can be holistic too and most of the time, I would argue that holistic is used again as a marketing tool to sell lifestyle items to with the alleged therapies (magnetic bracelets, courses of ineffectual treatments, etc.).

My chiropractor is a genius and I'd die for him. He's amazing.

He's certainly good at lightening your wallet.

But complementary 'medicine' could be "Approved Medicine X has been known to cause tummy aches..I prescribe this herb/tub of ice cream" or "in conjunction with your anti depressants how about a relaxing full body massage/old fashioned hand job"... that sort of thing

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back