Minor Pleasures (4 Viewers)

Okay. There's probably complicated theory to it but here's my understanding. And please forgive me for including stuff anyone who has been playing music for a month would get. But it helped me to start with the basics and add to that

What's a dim chord?

Lets say you're playing in the key of C

Y'know how your major triad is the root (C), the major 3rd (E) and the 5th (G, can't remember if it's called a major 5th or a perfect 5th)? Your diminished triad is the root but with the 3rd and 5th flattened. So Cdim is the root (C), a minor third (D#) and a flattened 5th (minor 5th? I don't know, it's F# anyway)

How to use them?
Again, in C. Your root major scale is C,D,E,F,G,A,B and the typical standard chords in that key would be I, ii, iii, IV, V, vi (C, Dm, Em, F, G, Am). You can use a dim chord whenever you want to play a chord who's root isn't in that major scale of the key. So if you're playing in C you can play C#dim, D#dim, F#dim etc. and they should all fit into the key.

Why to use them?
I don't know, jazz or some shit like that.

Hoping to learn how to use aug chords before I'm 50.

I need to print this out and keep it. Thanks!

Nice of you to share...nice but dim

(edited for purposes of using 'nice but dim' joke)

Nice one Unicron. Just been trying this out. Always knew what they were but not really where/how to use them. They act kind of like jazzy bridging chords to get from one standard chord to another, especially if the root notes form a run e.g C C#dim Dm G.

Augmented chords are just the same except you sharpen rather than flatten the 3rd and the 5th I think. So Caug is C + F + g#

Augmented chords are just the same except you sharpen rather than flatten the 3rd and the 5th I think. So Caug is C + F + g#

Just watched a video about them. You leave the third alone, but you do sharpen the 5th. If you sharpen the 3rd you get a sus4

In terms of intervals, a major chord is a root, and a major 3rd, and a minor third on top of that. A dim is the root and a pair of minor thirds, an aug is the root and two major thirds.

kale season

These are nice in salads and sandwiches

583006_L.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back