Minor complaints thread (8 Viewers)

I get this too

There has clearly been a conscious decision to move away from comforting 40+ year-old men on their musical taste, to actually having a broader spectrum of music on there

I just want one new tune every few weeks that I can't get out of my head, and can send to my hugger and try and impress her with it
You hug now?
I don’t even know who you are anymore.

We were chatting as a group, and someone just casually throws in the phrase "left-footer".
Woah, that is not on I said. Never ever heard that said out loud before.

There was some significant context to this. He meant no offence but he still said that and I got defensive. Then we apologised to each other for five minutes.

I'm not privy to whatever happened up there. Still hit me like a ton bricks though. Just couldn't believe he thought it was ok to say, even in this particular context. I'm not religious, but y'know.

"Well", says another person, who is a colleague "if you want to chat about that sort of thing you can argue with this atheist protestant".

Isn't that that why we just work so well together?, I said.

I'm amazed that people, especially Northern Ireland people are not familiar with the term.

I'm shocked.

Or for my N.I pals , I'm shacked.

i have heard the phrase used a few times i'd say, and not specific to a religion IIRC. used by catholics to refer to protestants and vice versa, and also used to refer to someone as being gay i think. just a general 'he's from the other team' way.

I’ve only ever heard the term used in the context of using your non-dominant foot to kick a football. What’s the context here?

Our very atheist friend had a "left-footer" funeral. Though it seemed fairly ecumenical to me. He didn't specify what kind of funeral he'd like. So the crematorium basically just decided to do it that way.

A friend of Belfast protestant descent made the comment.

All this brings to mind a documentary I saw years ago on Jews in Northern Ireland.

An old guy told how when he was a boy some older boys put him up against the wall demanding to know which foot he kicked with

"Neither", he said, "I'm Jewish."

After a confused pause, they asked him " Well are you a Protestant Jew or a Catholic Jew?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back