Mini-Laptop - I so want one :-) (4 Viewers)

Ferox13

Great for listening to music/watching films and with all the free wi-fi popping up surfing on the move...Pretty cheap too - dunno if they are available here or not yet.. (it also comes in an XP sp2 version)

Asus Eee PC 70

Verdict: A genuine step forward for the laptop. Unbelievable capabilities for the price and ultra-low weight, too.

Selling a £170 ultraportable laptop might be harder than it sounds. Misled by the low price, consumers could well believe decent quality for that kind of money is an unreachable nirvana. The Eee PC defies all expectations, particularly for a device that's nominally aimed at children. We all know that the smaller the laptop, the more expensive it is. But the Eee costs less than any full-blown laptop we've ever seen. It's less than half the price of the outgoing A-listed budget laptop, the £499 Hi-Grade Ultinote A9800R.

ALL THE DETAILS!!!

LOL - changed my mind I want its big brother:

Asustek 8.9" Eee PC 1GB 12GB WXP Black

533q_large.jpg
image for illustration only

626.gif
Asustek 8.9" Eee PC 1GB 12GB WXP Black
In stock now
quicklinx: 533QWS
mfr#: EEE PC 900WIN-B

€426.88 inc vat

MORE INFO

I was thinking of getting this one:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]HP 2133 Mini-Note UMPC, 160GB Hard Disk, Windows Vista Home Basic, 8.9" WXGA monitor, 2GB Memory[/FONT]

hp_2133mininote_callouts-sm.jpg

However one HUGE thing to remember is that none of these UMPC's have any form of CD or DVD drive. Which mixes the film watching, unless you just transfer over all the files..

Seriously considering an eee pc myself. Would just be for travelling, so I don't see the point in going for the newer model with bigger screen. Defeats the point really. Wouldn't bother with xp on it - linux would be perfectly fine.

However one HUGE thing to remember is that none of these UMPC's have any form of CD or DVD drive. Which mixes the film watching, unless you just transfer over all the files..
Well a lot of what i watch is DivX so sticking em on a flash drive seems easy enough. I have an 8gig one which is a good 10-12 films.

what price is the [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]HP 2133 Mini-Note UMPC?

[/FONT]
Seriously considering an eee pc myself. Would just be for travelling, so I don't see the point in going for the newer model with bigger screen. Defeats the point really. Wouldn't bother with xp on it - linux would be perfectly fine.

Well the newer model doesn't seem to bigger dispite the bigger screen. in the cheap on the screen doesn't fill the 'lid' and shares spare with the speakers. I've never used a Linux OS before so i'd be more comfortable with XP. Wouldn't it be a hassle to find Linux versions of all the little applications i want on it?

The [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]HP 2133 Mini-Note UMPC looks a lot better..thanks for the heads up...the only thing i don't like is that it runs vista.

Dabs.ie have one for €496 but its a 1gig version. is there a better price in Ireland.
[/FONT]

Well the newer model doesn't seem to bigger dispite the bigger screen. in the cheap on the screen doesn't fill the 'lid' and shares spare with the speakers. I've never used a Linux OS before so i'd be more comfortable with XP. Wouldn't it be a hassle to find Linux versions of all the little applications i want on it?

not that i've seen it in person (yet) but i'd be fairly sure linux will perform better than XP on that platform. check out the video on the eee website for a look at the linux version in action.

not that i've seen it in person (yet) but i'd be fairly sure linux will perform better than XP on that platform. check out the video on the eee website for a look at the linux version in action.

I have no doubt that it does - its more program compatability i'm worried about.

I have the 4GB Asus with Linux on board.

Perfect for travelling, about 2.5hrs battery life, simple to find/use applications, connect to wifi networks etc.

Weighs 900g.

900g people!

The [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]HP 2133 Mini-Note UMPC looks a lot better..thanks for the heads up...the only thing i don't like is that it runs vista.

Dabs.ie have one for €496 but its a 1gig version. is there a better price in Ireland.
[/FONT]

If I got one I'd prob install XP or some flavour of Linux. 1gb of Ram would be plenty for either of those..

what sort of stuff are we talking about here?

hmm...

The usual video player/browser/mp3 player.

Some photo editing/grpahics stuff like an older version or Photoshop and Illustrator.

So stuff for cutting up divx videos (video splitter etc) and recording sound (like absolute sound recorder).

and some game stuff like MAME.

[/FONT]

http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx...&SearchKey=All&SearchMode=All&NavigationKey=0

http://www.misco.ie/productinformation/~142911~WW~/HP%202133%20Mini%20Note%20%2F%208.9%20WXGA%20%2F%201GB%20%2F%20120GB%20HDD%20%2F%20Linux%20%2F%20Bluetooth%20%2F%20Laptop%20%2F%20Notebook%20PC.htm

linux version

hmm...

The usual video player/browser/mp3 player.

yeah the linux one should do all that

Some photo editing/grpahics stuff like an older version or Photoshop and Illustrator.
i'd have concerns about the screen size (even the 8.9" one) for proper photo editing, but sure you could install the Gimp or whatever and give it a lash.

So stuff for cutting up divx videos (video splitter etc) and recording sound (like absolute sound recorder).
i wouldn't touch video or audio editing on a weeee laptop of any make. screen's too small and the CPU is just too slow - particularly the HP one with its weedy Via cpu.

and some game stuff like MAME.

that should be cool

i'd have concerns about the screen size (even the 8.9" one) for proper photo editing, but sure you could install the Gimp or whatever and give it a lash.

To be honest it would be more for touching up/fixing/resizing existing projects rather that using it as a work machine..

i wouldn't touch video or audio editing on a weeee laptop of any make. screen's too small and the CPU is just too slow - particularly the HP one with its weedy Via cpu.

I thought some thing like Video splitter would be ok as it doesn't really re-encode the stuff. ASR requires fuck all power too..

So is my bets bet at the moment the HP with either the vista ot Linux and then just format and put XP on it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back