Midi Cables and the internet (1 Viewer)

nine

Two questions people.
1.I am trying to hook up a synthesizer that i have been loaned to my computer.It is midi capable with in,out and thru connectors.I also have your standard midi round five-pin cables.I need to know how to connect this into my midi/gameport connector for my audigy.Can i get a cable with the circular connector at one end and the midi/gameport connector at the other?If so,where?(i live in galway)
If this is not possible,can i chain it with my oxygen 8 someway?The oxygen 8 only has midi-out connectors but i have it connected to my computer via USB.
2.What's the best internet deal going at the moment.I'm seriously considering UTVip.It's fairly cheap and they seem to give the most hours.Does anyone else use them?What's their connection and speed like?

midi cables should be available in any music shop

i use UTV/IP

i heartily recommend them, 150 off peak hours a month, no problems connecting, get 46k on a 56k modem, same as any other ISP... you can use ISDN (single channel).. oh and you get cheap phonecalls too.

They're supposed to be a bit weak on ping times for net gaming. but who gives a fuck, eh?

if you're gonna go with them then you should really, really quote my account number and then they credit me money to my account for referring you

in fact everyone should do that

yeah

gwan - save me a few quid off of me internet bills

cheers pete.
i had a feeling that there was a catch somewhere so i needed a subscribers opinion.
when i sign up,i'll quote your number,how much do they credit you by the way?

Originally posted by nine
Two questions people.
1.I am trying to hook up a synthesizer that i have been loaned to my computer.It is midi capable with in,out and thru connectors.I also have your standard midi round five-pin cables.I need to know how to connect this into my midi/gameport connector for my audigy.Can i get a cable with the circular connector at one end and the midi/gameport connector at the other?If so,where?(i live in galway)
If this is not possible,can i chain it with my oxygen 8 someway?The oxygen 8 only has midi-out connectors but i have it connected to my computer via USB.

Yo Niner-
I dunno about all the whatzits for midi-ing to pc's(I'm a hard core loudmouth sMACk user), but you can midi to synth midi 'in' from the oxygen's midi out; you'll hafta use the oxygen as your controller, play your part, then have the track you've played output to a midi channel set up for the synth to receive that is unused by the oxygen. So, like set the synth to receive channel 16 say; have your sequencer track set up to receive the channel the oxy is sending BUT have the track's output set to the new synth's receive channel. You may have to futz with your programs' "midi thru" or "mirror" settings. Btw, how is the oxygen?

score

they credit the equivalent of the new persons first month's sub

pretty deadly, really

Re: Re: Midi Cables and the internet

Originally posted by dubh in seattle
Yo Niner-
I dunno about all the whatzits for midi-ing to pc's(I'm a hard core loudmouth sMACk user), but you can midi to synth midi 'in' from the oxygen's midi out; you'll hafta use the oxygen as your controller, play your part, then have the track you've played output to a midi channel set up for the synth to receive that is unused by the oxygen. So, like set the synth to receive channel 16 say; have your sequencer track set up to receive the channel the oxy is sending BUT have the track's output set to the new synth's receive channel. You may have to futz with your programs' "midi thru" or "mirror" settings. Btw, how is the oxygen?

thanks dubh.i'm hoping to hook them up seperately though and use the assignable knobs on the oxygen to manipulate the synths input,because the synth has far more keys than the oxygen.All that midi chaining stuff seems a bit too complex for me at this stage.
The oxygen is great fun,especially with reason.

Oh and dubh,if you sign up for UtvIP,maybe you could use my account number and save me some cash ;)

I had to scour the globe to find this connector (well almost)

It connects midi (in/out) to the joystick type port on a sound card. Its called:

PC Soundcard Midi Breakout Cable - 15 Way D Plug / 15 Way D Socket + 2 x 5 Pin Din Plugs

Avalable in Peats of Parnell St or http://www.peats.ie/cgi-bin/shop/db.cgi?view=1&id=3718&type=6&sid=327215x0

By the way its REALLY short so you'd need extension midi lead also

pretty sure i've one or two of those lying round somewhere, not using them, not ever really likely to, me is using a Yamaha UW500 as audio/midi interface to the laptop, synced to an RM1x.
if you still want/need one, i could have a trawl round for it (mind you, it's probably buried deep in a stack of shit in the basement, lost for generations)

Originally posted by lmd64
pretty sure i've one or two of those lying round somewhere, not using them, not ever really likely to, me is using a Yamaha UW500 as audio/midi interface to the laptop, synced to an RM1x.
if you still want/need one, i could have a trawl round for it (mind you, it's probably buried deep in a stack of shit in the basement, lost for generations)

that would be fantabulous!

i know where to get them now but they cost 38 fucking euro!
I'd probably buy it but i only have a lend of the keyboard so i'm not spending that for a few weeks fun.

i could give you a nominal fee if you found it.

Originally posted by james_m
I had to scour the globe to find this connector (well almost)

It connects midi (in/out) to the joystick type port on a sound card. Its called:

PC Soundcard Midi Breakout Cable - 15 Way D Plug / 15 Way D Socket + 2 x 5 Pin Din Plugs

Avalable in Peats of Parnell St or http://www.peats.ie/cgi-bin/shop/db.cgi?view=1&id=3718&type=6&sid=327215x0

By the way its REALLY short so you'd need extension midi lead also

If you get it at Peats make sure it's Sound Blaster compatible as they have a cheaper version that isn't, I had to back and change it....

That's only if its a soundblaster sound card is it not?

I got the one that isn't soundblaster compatible for a turtle beach card and it works hunky dory

(It specifies on the pack whether it is or isn't

i fink mine was only about 14 quid or so. that was about 4/5 years ago

and it's about 4 foot long or so, if i remember rightly.

if ya still want it, PM me. i'll be round town this evening, i'll bring it in if i can find it

ps: how you finding the oxygen8? and where did you pick it up?
i got one there two weeks ago in Turnkey, along with a kaoss pad. sweeet! me likey, me so likey!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back