Middle aged pleasures (1 Viewer)

Bordeaux has been kinda rich for almost 1000 years though. And (i'm sure this brand will be up for review within a few years) is a golden era city - like a few other wildy ornate european cities which essentially means that they made their money selling humans.

The 18th century saw another golden age of Bordeaux.[22] The Port of the Moon supplied the majority of Europe with coffee, cocoa, sugar, cotton and indigo, becoming France's busiest port and the second busiest port in the world after London.[20] Many downtown buildings (about 5,000), including those on the quays, are from this period.

Bordeaux was also a major trading centre for slaves.[23] In total, the Bordeaux shipowners deported 150,000 Africans in some 500 expeditions

A wedding from Monaco invaded the pub in Slane one night, similar buzz - everyone was drop dead gorgeous
Went to an Irish/Italian wedding in Italy years ago. All the Irish lads there sweating and struggling in their oversized polyster Dunnes Stores suits, and the Italians in amazing custom gucci etc., one dude even had a wooden bow tie!

Dublin is shit and I love it, there is nowhere else I’d want to live. There’s loads that could be better and by god I’ll complain about it but it’s got soul.

I used to care about things like this but since I got priced out of the city where I was born and grew up, you can imagine my resentment has nullified all other feelings.

I used to care about things like this but since I got priced out of the city where I was born and grew up, you can imagine my resentment has nullified all other feelings.

But this is the pleasures thread so… I did snag a mint copy of Martin Bisi’s Creole Mass while browsing Discogs the other night. I don’t have much New Alliance stuff so looking forward to adding that to my midlife crisis vinyl collection.

Went to an Irish/Italian wedding in Italy years ago. All the Irish lads there sweating and struggling in their oversized polyster Dunnes Stores suits, and the Italians in amazing custom gucci etc., one dude even had a wooden bow tie!
was it a good wedding though?

I've become quite pleased with myself using the pressreader app on my phone and my local library subscription to read loads of magazines and papers rather than scrolling through Twitter etc

It's only been a couple of decades but the internet has rewired us to want news and reportage immediately as opposed to the following day on the paper when we were young and so on.

Im always blown away with how dirty Dublin is. Even the fancy public buildings in the city centre are closed unbelievably grimy. I don't think they've ever been cleaned and should be power washed at lest annually as a basic fucking standard.

Im always blown away with how dirty Dublin is. Even the fancy public buildings in the city centre are closed unbelievably grimy. I don't think they've ever been cleaned and should be power washed at lest annually as a basic fucking standard.

What's the low emission zone/congestion charge situation/cycle lane situation in Dublin?

Where I live I first noticed there was always buildings getting blasted with whatever way they clean these things. The congestion charge was already in place, and things like taxi cabs still ran on diesel minus ad-blue. Traffic was awful.

I did remark to the girlfriend at the time that everything is just dirty and sooty and smelly.
Now, there's a lot less traffic, less space for cars, and drivers have to abide by the Ultra Low Emissions thing, or pay an obscene charge. Basically a long effort to feck cars off by three very different mayors from two opposing parties.

It pisses off every tradesperson that I know, but I think just pass the cost on. It's just the price of living here.

Anyway, once all the buildings were cleaned, and the air was made cleaner, all the buildings look lovely.

Maybe what Dublin really needs is an actual mayor.

What's the low emission zone/congestion charge situation/cycle lane situation in Dublin?

Where I live I first noticed there was always buildings getting blasted with whatever way they clean these things. The congestion charge was already in place, and things like taxi cabs still ran on diesel minus ad-blue. Traffic was awful.

I did remark to the girlfriend at the time that everything is just dirty and sooty and smelly.
Now, there's a lot less traffic, less space for cars, and drivers have to abide by the Ultra Low Emissions thing, or pay an obscene charge. Basically a long effort to feck cars off by three very different mayors from two opposing parties.

It pisses off every tradesperson that I know, but I think just pass the cost on. It's just the price of living here.

Anyway, once all the buildings were cleaned, and the air was made cleaner, all the buildings look lovely.

Maybe what Dublin really needs is an actual mayor.
I hear Boris Johnson is looking for a job..

Morning pints.

As in mourning pints. Nice enough send off. Not quite used to this funeral business. But it will be an ever increasing occurrence.

But it's lovely to see everyone. Triangular sandwiches.

Beach day with me mates followed by a few pints of stout and fish and chips with curry sauce. All followed by an early night and a good solid sleep.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

on the topic of dublin, had a pleasant few hours in town today. dropped into mark's models for supplies, met my wife who was also getting supplies (metallic watercolours and some sushi ingredients) and had a pint and a very nice pizza in forno 500. nice evening for it, mind.

first time i'd ever been in mark's models. now that's a proper old school shop.

on the topic of dublin, had a pleasant few hours in town today. dropped into mark's models for supplies, met my wife who was also getting supplies (metallic watercolours and some sushi ingredients) and had a pint and a very nice pizza in forno 500. nice evening for it, mind.

These are the days, MB

Good on you

I go in there occasionally. It’s hasn’t changed since I was a kid. They’re great for the paints. Last time I was there, a kid was with his mam and he was clearly neurodivergent and she was out of her depth with his hobby. It was nice just to be able to chat with them and let him tell me about his stuff. Such a pure experience that you don’t get in somewhere like Smyth’s.

I go in there occasionally. It’s hasn’t changed since I was a kid. They’re great for the paints. Last time I was there, a kid was with his mam and he was clearly neurodivergent and she was out of her depth with his hobby. It was nice just to be able to chat with them and let him tell me about his stuff. Such a pure experience that you don’t get in somewhere like Smyth’s.

Probably 30 years ago now, I got a model kit in there for a Star Trek DS9 Runabout, then got so panicked about messing it up that I never built it. I still have it, it’s on the shelf somewhere in the house. Maybe one of these days...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back