Middle aged pleasures (6 Viewers)

My diet is naturally becoming ever more vegetarian. I think mainly because I am making sure I use whatever food is there, but also slightly because all my food conversations with contemporaries involve them going "ooh, can't be eating that too much anymore".

Made a version of this today, but with no kale and no garlic (no garlic in the house, major complaint). Anyway, it was delicious and nutritious. Twenty years ago I'd have slapped a bunch of rashers and white pudding on there.

I can't quit meat - and I wish I could
I love it too much

Most everything else I do in my life, I apply some level of ethics to. Or try hard to.
And this I can't, and the only excuse is a pathetic one - meat tastes good.

Get a jar of that pre-diced garlic and keep it in the fridge. Handy enough.

but garlic is one of the four main food types!

I know!!
I suspect everyone else thought someone else would get some, and then no one got any. Which really means it's my fault.

I kinda make sure there's always garlic, cooking oil, kitchen roll, bin bags etc etc in the gaff. But at the same time I don't want to be the only person buying these things.

My diet is naturally becoming ever more vegetarian. I think mainly because I am making sure I use whatever food is there, but also slightly because all my food conversations with contemporaries involve them going "ooh, can't be eating that too much anymore".

Made a version of this today, but with no kale and no garlic (no garlic in the house, major complaint). Anyway, it was delicious and nutritious. Twenty years ago I'd have slapped a bunch of rashers and white pudding on there.

ditto.

I love meat, but for a mixture of ethical and practical reasons probably have about 30-50% meet free days these days.

I cooked a pasta dish from scratch yesterday, and used walnuts for the protein.

far from student spag bol...

I wish I could cook. I tried this and made a balls of it

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I can't quit meat - and I wish I could
I love it too much

Most everything else I do in my life, I apply some level of ethics to. Or try hard to.
And this I can't, and the only excuse is a pathetic one - meat tastes good.

Get a jar of that pre-diced garlic and keep it in the fridge. Handy enough.

Mine moves closer to vegetarian when i'm on my own but dealing with UTM and his 1960s approach to food and complete inability to cook means it gets involved in about half the dinners.

I've been working more on a tiered basis for the meantime anywhoo - like chicken and pork have a much lower carbon footprint than all the others so they are biased in decisions

i eat beef on average once every six months i'd say. i'd have chicken about once a week maybe.
however, apart from the GHG aspect there's the animal welfare one in play.
200g of beef is less than 0.1% of an animal which has a reasonably OK existence in general.
200g of chicken is maybe 20% of an animal which likely had a much worse life.

or in another way, if you eat enough beef over the course of a number of years to count as a single life/cow, you'll have eaten several hundred chickens to achieve the same weight in chicken meat.

i eat beef on average once every six months i'd say. i'd have chicken about once a week maybe.
however, apart from the GHG aspect there's the animal welfare one in play.
200g of beef is less than 0.1% of an animal which has a reasonably OK existence in general.
200g of chicken is maybe 20% of an animal which likely had a much worse life.

or in another way, if you eat enough beef over the course of a number of years to count as a single life/cow, you'll have eaten several hundred chickens to achieve the same weight in chicken meat.

Its even hard to get reliable enough data on the ghg food thing, other than beef high, pork/chicken low.

I'd love to some to present me with exactly how much, per person on the planet meat should be eaten on a ghg basis, accounting for animal welfare and all that.

I know i know.

This information I'd like is not people who've already removed meat from their diet - this information is for me to have on the tip of my toungue when speaking to any of the 5-6 massive beef farming families i live beside when they start talking to me about the farmers alliance who are going to have 4-5 of those farmers alliance tidbits all loaded up and ready to go.

View attachment 17521

She's finally in.

Is it worth changing to night time cheap tariff? Really want to avoid having to sign another contract with electric Ireland
yes. We're on the Electric Ireland nightboost with the 2am-4am 12c rate and use that to charge the solar battery and the car and it's saving us a lot of cash

I know i know.

This information I'd like is not people who've already removed meat from their diet - this information is for me to have on the tip of my toungue when speaking to any of the 5-6 massive beef farming families i live beside when they start talking to me about the farmers alliance who are going to have 4-5 of those farmers alliance tidbits all loaded up and ready to go.
From an Irish times article on food inflation, comparing prices now with prices from April last year. Interesting to note how chicken has gone up significantly more than beef - I guess if grain is the main food source in chicken production, it's gone up more than grass...

CHICKEN BREASTS 1KG €11.19/€8.19Up €3.00
SIRLOIN STEAK 1KG €14.42/€13.79Up 63 cent

The bins got emptied today, so I said to skipper "are you keeping all these glass coffee jars for one of your harebrained schemes?"

"No, lose 'em"

It's just that the bins are always full. We share the bins with neighbours. So I had a good clear out of coffee jars, wine bottles, beer bottles, vodka bottles, general glass. There was some sauerkraut etc there as well. Months worth.

The thing is, unbroken glass takes up a lot of space, so I had to smash up all the glass as it went in the bin. This involved safety glasses and a crowbar. I enjoyed it very much.

Skipper actually said to me, in some sort of jump from reality:

"Do we want shattered glass in the bin?"
Wtf do you think happens between the binmen and the recycling plant?

I once was a binman. It's amazing how people view the crap they throw away.

The bins got emptied today, so I said to skipper "are you keeping all these glass coffee jars for one of your harebrained schemes?"

"No, lose 'em"

It's just that the bins are always full. We share the bins with neighbours. So I had a good clear out of coffee jars, wine bottles, beer bottles, vodka bottles, general glass. There was some sauerkraut etc there as well. Months worth.

The thing is, unbroken glass takes up a lot of space, so I had to smash up all the glass as it went in the bin. This involved safety glasses and a crowbar. I enjoyed it very much.

My binmen are amazing

It's great what throwing a few 20s at someone for the Christmas will get you

"No, lose 'em"

here, how come if I dispose of glass at the bottle banks I have to separate them by colour, but if I go to the recycling centre I can dump the lot in a skip?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back