Middle aged pleasures (6 Viewers)

I go in there occasionally. It’s hasn’t changed since I was a kid. They’re great for the paints. Last time I was there, a kid was with his mam and he was clearly neurodivergent and she was out of her depth with his hobby. It was nice just to be able to chat with them and let him tell me about his stuff. Such a pure experience that you don’t get in somewhere like Smyth’s.
Was Mark's Models previously upstairs somewhere on D'Olier Street circa 1989/90?
There was a place that sold toy trains there. it was just one room and I think they were just about to relocate.

It is near Tara Street Station now.

Was Mark's Models previously upstairs somewhere on D'Olier Street circa 1989/90?
There was a place that sold toy trains there. it was just one room and I think they were just about to relocate.

It is near Tara Street Station now.
I don’t remember that far back, my forays into modelling happened closer to the mid-90s. It was right beside my bus stop on Hawkins St (it’s still there but don’t know where the buses have gone).

Probably 30 years ago now, I got a model kit in there for a Star Trek DS9 Runabout, then got so panicked about messing it up that I never built it. I still have it, it’s on the shelf somewhere in the house. Maybe one of these days...
Just do it! There’s loads of great YouTube channels out there for guidance.

I don’t remember that far back, my forays into modelling happened closer to the mid-90s. It was right beside my bus stop on Hawkins St (it’s still there but don’t know where the buses have gone).

I just realised it's been 20 years since I foolishly thought I would build this thing. I mustn't have been in Dublin at the time because I had my brother buy it every week for me from a stall on O'Connell St. He hated doing it because the guy would crack the same "joke" EVERY time "the red baron with the blue nose!?"
I started to build it at the same time my girlfriend got two kittens. Every time I went to work on it they jumped on the table and started playing with the parts. So I put it away to come back to later.

The box with all the parts is on the floor beside me.

One of these days....
208_original.jpg

friend said 'if you fancy a rabbit hole or two, the models above are by Japanese dude Kow Yokoyama and part of his Maschinen Krieger (Ma.k) world'
(he'd posted a pic of a couple of models, one of which was a kinda space exosuit made from a helicopter kit)

friend said 'if you fancy a rabbit hole or two, the models above are by Japanese dude Kow Yokoyama and part of his Maschinen Krieger (Ma.k) world'
(he'd posted a pic of a couple of models, one of which was a kinda space exosuit made from a helicopter kit)

I kitbashed a few model planes I made in my early teens - I had paratroopers jumping out of a Junkers Ju 52 for example.

i've mentioned before i occasionally watch adam savage (ex mythbuster) on youtube, he's a general 'let's make this' guy, and does videos on how to make spaceship panelling etc.
he was working in ILM before he got the mythbusters job.

anyway, this (non-adam savage video) appears to be a primer for the stuff my friend mentioned.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Re kitbashing, I watch Adam Savage’s YouTube stuff now and then and I think he’s where I first heard the term, as they would have done it a lot making practical effects stuff back in the day.

My diet is naturally becoming ever more vegetarian. I think mainly because I am making sure I use whatever food is there, but also slightly because all my food conversations with contemporaries involve them going "ooh, can't be eating that too much anymore".

Made a version of this today, but with no kale and no garlic (no garlic in the house, major complaint). Anyway, it was delicious and nutritious. Twenty years ago I'd have slapped a bunch of rashers and white pudding on there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back