Middle aged pleasures (2 Viewers)

therealjohnny said:
solar=bad
It's actually kinda amazing that the primary reason for refusal is "it would be ugly". Is the landscape particularly beautiful around there?

I'd say ye can expect an appeal. Reasons 2 and 3 below both talk about "absence of sufficient details" from the application, which can be remedied by the applicant

File ref 23/60178
It is Council’s policy objective as set out within the Westmeath County Development Plan 2021-2027 to ‘protect the landscapes and natural environments of the County by ensuring that any new developments do not detrimentally impact on the character, integrity, distinctiveness or scenic value of their area. Any development which could unduly impact upon such landscapes will not be permitted’ (CPO 13.8). It is also Council’s policy objective to ‘protect high amenity areas from inappropriate development and reinforce their character, distinctiveness and sense of place’ (CPO 13.20). Accordingly, and in the absence of satisfactory documentation submitted with this application to the contrary, it is considered that to permit the proposed development would materially contravene these policy objectives by reason of its overall scale and siting. The proposed development located within a scenic and culturally sensitive undulating and rolling landscape character and which is partially located within a designated High Amenity Area is not consistent with the criteria set out in Policy Objective CPO 10.151 of the Westmeath County Development Plan 2021-2027 and would if permitted give rise to a visually obtrusive form in an open, undulating and attractive rural area. Notwithstanding landscape mitigation measures, would be unduly prominent from the serving regional and local road network.
In this regard, the proposed development, if permitted would be seriously injurious to the visual amenities of the area , would adversely impact upon the character of the landscape, would be contrary to policy objectives CPO 9.24, CPO 12.4 and CPO 13.8 of the Westmeath County Development Plan 2021-2027 and would therefore be contrary to the proper planning and sustainable development of the area.

2. In the absence of sufficient details submitted to the contrary and in applying the precautionary principle in identifying operational phase pathways for likely significant effects which includes hydrological connection from the site to Lough Derravaragh which may result in indirect effects, collision risks of Whooper Swans and displacement effects from the large area of solar arrays and potential effects arising from glint and glare, it is considered that the proposed development may pose a risk of significant effects on the conservation objectives and integrity of Lough Derravaragh SPA, (a Natura 2000 site). The proposed development would therefore be contrary to the EU Habitats Directive and the proper planning and sustainable development of the area.
3. Having regard to the overall siting and layout proposed, the ecological value of the surrounding area and matters raised by both the Department of Housing, Local Government and Heritage and Inland Fisheries Ireland in particular, and in the absence of sufficient details to the contrary, it is considered that the proposed development may have an adverse ecological impact and would therefore be contrary to Council’s policy objective CPO12.25 of the Westmeath County Development Plan 2021-2027 and would be contrary to the proper planning and sustainable development of the area.

I would say that's the primary reason for opposing any new build. But I live in the land of ridiculous developments and maybe I read George Monbiot too much.

What does that have to do with the price of eggs?
They're charging (ho ho) ahead with the wind power and they're not letting their language die

Meanwhile we're a cluster fuck of mickey holders
The best lack all conviction etc..

Tough to grow spuds under solar panels in a field.
That said the fields mentioned above are acres and acres of corn. For eating you ask? Fuck no. They get mashed up so that the farmer can generate power for his pig farm. And sell the rest to the grid. Farmers.

I don't know if a green space is the spot for a solar farm. Towns, cities, industrial parks first like.
Aren't we (the humans) supposed to be able to do agrovoltaics?
Might not be spelling that right - but where you can grow stuff under the panels?

Also, my middle-aged pleasure is that being middle-aged is kind of great

If I was keeping cattle on prime grazing land and then put in solar panels instead then that's a double win for the climate, right?

I'd go on the basis that unlike america, Ireland is a finite space. If the space already has concrete on it then its open game for solar and whatnot. Breaking current green spaces for solar when we have acres of concrete all over the place is just a terrible use of space altogether.

A great place for a solar farm actually would be that prick next doors front lawn. I've been listening to his stupid baby tractor lawnmower for two days now. I can pretty much vouch at this point that the only time he enters that space to do anything is when he mows it. The silage guys started harvesting once the sun came out and he got jealous and had to go and play with his baby tractor.

Here in the midlands, they ruined large tracts of bio-diverse land extracting turf. I'd love to see it left to nature to restore itself, but another option might be to use that land for solar farms- like, they've already made shit of it so...

A great place for a solar farm actually would be that prick next doors front lawn. I've been listening to his stupid baby tractor lawnmower for two days now. I can pretty much vouch at this point that the only time he enters that space to do anything is when he mows it. The silage guys started harvesting once the sun came out and he got jealous and had to go and play with his baby tractor.

Just had a snoop on maps.

over 300m2 of pointless going on there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back