mic preamp (1 Viewer)

There are local audio shops that are more than happy to have you demo monitors - studiosolutions and audiowarehouse certainly do, I expect big bear too.

I'd be interested to hear Focal CMS40s, but they're 600 a pair.

I don't really think limited range monitors like NS10s and Avantones are a good place to start, you have to know how to check for what they're NOT telling you for them to be really useful.

There's affordable Adams, KRKs and Genelecs that could be cool.

In my budget, it came down to KRK5's or the Mackie's and I chose the latter.
I didn't want to jump in with the KRK8's when I've never owned a pair of monitors before.

Do you have any mic recommendations?
I'm looking for something for vocals and drums. Thinking about the Rode NT2-A for vocals.

Thanks.

Keep the mic recommendations coming.
Still keen on the NT2-A but might be nice to pick up a stereo pair of something cheaper aswell.

NT2s are ok.
SE2200s are ok.
My main problem with most mics around the €200 mark are that they tend to go for pretty bright tones to 'wow' you the first time you hear them.
Unfortunately, you can get a bit sick of that sound before too long and it certainly won't work on every voice.
The Kel is a cool mic because it has a fairly even response and is pretty versatile.
It'd be a nice second choice to a NT2 or similar.

of what i have, i find my oktava MK012's to be the most honest. I got the stereo pair, one has since died and there is a certain amount of debate floating about the net about origins of manufacture and stuff.

NT2s are ok.
SE2200s are ok.
My main problem with most mics around the €200 mark are that they tend to go for pretty bright tones to 'wow' you the first time you hear them.
Unfortunately, you can get a bit sick of that sound before too long and it certainly won't work on every voice.
The Kel is a cool mic because it has a fairly even response and is pretty versatile.
It'd be a nice second choice to a NT2 or similar.

Cool,
Have you had any experience with the AKG C535 EB which PopWhore No.1 very enthusiastically recommended?
Would there be much point in getting one of those aswell as a NT2-A?

So I got the Golden Age PRE73. FUCK YEAH! Thanks for the endorsement Gaz.

YAY!!!!!BEST YOKE EVA!!!!!!

Pre 73 + AKG C535 EB =
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

FUCK YEAH!

I've been using it mostly with an NT2A, sounds great. Tried the DI for the first time last night, great aswell.

One question though, maybe you can answer this Gaz. A
re the inputs on the back 1xMic and 1xLine? Or are they both Mic/Line combos. And is the phantom power sent to both inputs at the back? Just don't want to go destroying anything by accidently giving it phantom power. Cheers.

That ain't what Sound On Sound were saying. That's why I'm trying to find out for sure.

I'm not sure Tim..I'm not at home so I cant look myself..is the line in not just a trs though?Unusual but not unheard of for phantom power to be supplied through that

Ah it's clearer now. There is 1 MIC and 1 LINE input, both of which are combo inputs for XLR or 1/4".
SoundOnSound were just saying to be careful not to switch on the phantom power when there is a 1/4" inserted into the MIC input.

On my Infrasonic soundcard that I got in Waltons phantom power is supplied through balanced trs jack.It fucking stinks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back