mic preamp (2 Viewers)

Had the guitarist/singer round this evening & got try out the Behringer properly.
It really does add lot of body to vocals & a lot of clarity to the acoustic guitar.
Should've gotten a preamp years ago.

Of course, all I can think now is how much better that Golden Age 73 would sound.

DAMN YOU, GAAAAAAZZZZ!!!!!!

I'm expecting my very own any day now..SO FUCKING HAPPY ABOUT THAT

Yeah.pre amps are my favourite thing in the world I think.

I'm gonna start making some use out of the fucking thing. Its shameful how I've neglected it. I've almost got meself up and running again

Feeling the ripples of the Gaz effect eh Shaney?

Its a phenomonon.Seriously.Yer not the only one.

I'm expecting my very own any day now..SO FUCKING HAPPY ABOUT THAT

Yeah.pre amps are my favourite thing in the world I think.

I seen a thomann box in the back of a van this morning and immediately thought of your preamp.

I seen a thomann box in the back of a van this morning and immediately thought of your preamp.

Haha!Mighta been it!!!WEEEEHOOOO!!I'm sitting here looking out the window man!

How does it sound?

I'm looking to get good preamp and Vocal Mic. Any recommendations?
I've been thinking about the Rode NT2-A.

My options for powering mics and eq are:
Tascam 4 track - used to power a ribbon mic.
Boss 7 band eq
Behringer mixer - used to power a condenser
Presonus Firestudio Pro - nice clear pres but want something else to boost the sound.

Mics:
2x Sm 58
4 x 57's (chinese fakes, got them free)
T bone sc400 condenser. Have gotten some good sounds out of it.
t bone rb 500 ribbon. It records kicks pretty nice. Haven't messed around with it tons, would like to get a nice pre amp to power it better. Tascam works nice enough.

Anybody have any general recommendations for big upgrades I can make?
Am interested in recording vocals and drums and other acoustic sounds aswell as
amped sounds. Would like to get a couple of reasonably priced workhorse mics.
The Rode NT2-A is going for about 300 on thomann.

Also thinking about compressors. Any recommendations there?

I'm finishing up work on an album and some other songs and want to get the vocals done to a decent level that I'm happy with. Also will be recording some drum overdubs so it would be nice to get a fresh mic sound for those to add some different qualities.
So would really appreciate some advice on the above. Cheers.

THIS! and I cant reccomend the TLA FAT 1 compressor enough....and THIS mic records EVERYTHING perfectly...

Have a listen!Thats the setup I used on this...I uusually double track but didnt on this so you can hear the quality of a decent front end set up.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thers no eq used on that vocal.

Thanks, unfortunately that compressor has been discontinued, any other recommendations?
I'll read up more on the AKG, it appears it's meant to be used as a performance mic but it works well in studio situations though yeah?

Does it push the vocals really far to the front? I generally tend to have the vocals back a bit or sit more within the music and and stick their head out a little bit instead of just sitting on top of the mix.

Thanks.

I know an awful lot of people, including duders with access to fancy shit, that don't compress during tracking.
If you can get your hands on a decent plugin compressor (and there's plenty of affordable ones out there) then you're almost certainly better off with that.
If you make a compression choice during tracking you're committed to it, whereas you can try out a few different approaches with a plugin before you fully commit.

In terms of shit you need, a hardware compressor is way down the list imo.

I hadn't intended on compressing while tracking. More interested in sending the whole mix or elements of a mix or multitracked sounds through an outboard to hear what happens.
Any recommendations for an outboard one?

Anything worth using will be costly.
Do you have amazing converters and monitors yet?
If not, get those.
They'll do way more for you than an outboard compressor.

I can't think of anything worth using for less than like 1200 euro.

I don't know ..I've been getting satisfactory results using this yoke.I'm probably using it inappropriately mind you.

I hear what yer saying though about not compressing when your tracking..I've only started since I got this yoke.I was just doing it in the computer before..with satisfactory results.I'll continue to experiment though and when I've had more time to sus it out I'll come back and I have a feeling agree with ya.

I have a fairly rudimentary conversion and monitoring set up alas I fear it will remain so for the next couple of albums.Thankfully I can wrestle shit kicking choons out of what I have.I want new monitors.

I'm not saying anyone can't do great work with an abacus and a wax cylinder, just where I think bros should spend money if they have it.
Monitors are fucking enormously important.
Maybe dudes should chime in on the best monitors around for, say, less than 500 a pair?

Now that's a great idea, with the amount of talk I've heard recently about monitors it would be great to get a general thumped consensus on which ones are defo worth checking out.

I do like my Yamaha MSP5's..I got them for 280 second hand.They're grand but can be hard to know whats going on down below with them..so car tests are essential when mixing the bass.They excel elsewhere though(for the price).

I was listening to Behringer Truth monitors all day today.They seem pretty fucking decent for €300 I must say.

I have Tannoy Active Reveals which are more than good enough for me.
It really is surprising how, if you mix on headphones, it'll sound crap on most other audio players but if you mix with monitors, it sounds better over different machines.

Tannoy%20Reveal%20Active.jpg

I found picking speakers difficult, I dunno how your average home recorder is going to get to try out a load and get a decent idea of which ones are better than others. I read a few reviews and took their word for it - got these dynaudios which seem fine to me...

p26253.jpg

I blew the tweeter on one and had to pay €250 to get it fixed :(

I got a pair of Mackie MR5's. 290 I think for the pair.
They are my first pair of monitors and I'm very pleased with them.
They have decent bass which I believe is good for a 5" monitor but also useful in the fact that you don't try and overcompensate on the bass when doing mixes.

To be honest I haven't 100% mixed anything down yet within computer.
I'm messing around with bouncing down to a stereo track on 4 track first. The tape sound can do great things with a solid sounding recording.
I have played the same mixes from my computer through consumer stereos though and they do hold up so I'm happy with my purchase.

I'd much rather get a good pre amp and a couple of good mics before I get a compressor.
It's something I need to get. At same time I'm thinking, maybe I should just start investigating compressors now while I'm thinking about getting new gear.
Anyway there are plenty of other ways to do cool things to mixes. Another option could be good too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back