mic preamp (2 Viewers)

snakybus

Website
www.breakingtunes.com
I'm plugging a mic into the mic hole in my pc and the signal is really weak. It's just your everyday dynamic mic

I have to shout to get a signal

do I need a mic preamp? How essential are these? Or is that just for condenser mics?

They seem to range in price from hundreds to thousands, so what do I go for?

Dubh, help me!

No idea - it's just that my card (an Audigy) has a control panel bit where you can set the input levels (it's like the main volume control) - the mic has a checkbox where you can switch on a +20dB boost thingy - I dunno, does your card have anything similar (control bit I mean)?

Hmm...I seem to remember having this problem meself, but I'm damned if I remember what I did...won't be able to look at me PC until Wednesday evening, but if you're still stuck at that stage, my memory may allow itself to be rejigged...

Here Snaky, you might be better off in the long run getting a small mixing desk with a built in pre-amp...two pieces of equipment for the price of one.

I bought a nice small 8 channel Mackie mixer off someone on this very board, and its been working a treat.

mic pres

Hey snakey!
That inexpensive pre alex posted looks like a problem solver, and beaners is right to suggest a mixer, cos you get a way to preamp and mix multiple choices to your soundcard inputs. What kind of mic? If its a mic with XLR output, you'll need to either
1)plug it into an XLR eqipped input that specifically calls for 'mic level' input, or;
2)get a cable and a 'line transformer' that converts from XLR to 1/4" but also (and importantly!) converts the mics' impedance to 'High-Z(impedance).' Then you may need to get another adaptor to change the 1/4" into RCA/phono plug or 1/8" depending on what input your soundcard has. It might be that your soundcard will work with "line level" sources, such as a cd player or mixer output; the control panel allowing for a max of +20dB gain alludes to this being the case. A mic pre will usually offer around 60dB of possible gain, cos the level coming out of the mic--pretty much every mic-- is a tiny, tiny voltage and needs to be preamped up to the aforementioned "line" level. You'll be happier with a small multichannel mixer with built-in mic pres, and could get one for as little as €100, like the super-small behringer (although I must say--alex has heard this rant before
:D ) I personally don't like behringer, some shady business practises, but their prices are extremely cheap...

thanks dubh, you sexy beast

and thanks everyone else, lots of good stuff there

I'm currently going sm58-->XLR-->1/4"-->1/8" adaptor; quite probably it is an impedance issue as you say

I'm going to go for the mixer I think, and I'm getting a new mic because this one's old old old

Mmm, I found that my solution was no use to you whatsoever; my card has a front drive bay with another mic input on it. This other mic input has a nice gain control on it, so I can get a sufficiently strong signal off it.

There's some decent mics going on buy&sell at the moment. A pair of sm58's, a Rode NT1, and an akg c1000s. The Akg can run off a 9-volt battery, but you'd need phantom power for the Rode.
I'd buy 'em myself, if I was a rich man.

Originally posted by GrRrrrR
There's some decent mics going on buy&sell at the moment. A pair of sm58's, a Rode NT1, and an akg c1000s. The Akg can run off a 9-volt battery, but you'd need phantom power for the Rode.
I'd buy 'em myself, if I was a rich man.

I have a Rode NT1, and I'm delighted with it. I'd highly recommend it for vocals/acoustic guitar. Yer man on Buy and Sell is a bit of a chancer though...selling it for €225 second hand when you can buy it on Thomann for €222.

http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/thoiw6_artikel-125765.html

I know there's a delivery charge with Thomann, but at least its new. If you're getting a mixer it will more than likely have phantom power for the mic.

Originally posted by dubh in seattle
ah grrr(etc) €100 would rock for that... and hey pantonalia, that meek yoke sounds killer--a friend has one.

It looks like a great bit of kit alright, all that Joe Meeks stuff looks deadly

Here has your mate started overdosing on speed, recording insane records of what he imagines moon music would sound like and taking shots at his land lady yet? ;)

I *heart* Joe Meek

Originally posted by Pantone247
Here has your mate started overdosing on speed, recording insane records of what he imagines moon music would sound like and taking shots at his land lady yet? ;)

I *heart* Joe Meek

Ha!:D I think it'd be his pc to push him over the edge... I noticed about the pre in that compared to earlier meek pre (the vc3?) this new one woks much better with very low impedance and output mics. I'd build a console out of meek stuff if I won the lotto!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back