mexican? (1 Viewer)

Pacifico Cafe in London's west end is the closest authentic Mexican food to Dublin.

Haha.

Ole Mexican Grill in Cambridge, MA is the closest heading west.
Honourable mention to The Border Cafe in Harvard Sq also.
Oh, and Anna's Taqueria for takeout.

We need some fucking Mexicans over here already.

Get a a fillet of white fish. finely dice 1 medium onion, one green chili and a coriander. Cover the fish in the onion, chili and coriander. Squeeze two limes over the lot. Cover and put the fridge for 1 hour. Remove from fridge and shred the fish with two forks. Mix evenly and serve with tortilla chips.
Cerviche.

the first port of call might be learning to make your own tortilla. it's cornerstone of most mexican dishes, apparently pretty easy to make and taste about a million times better than the frankly inedible prepackaged shite that you get in shops here.. nothing tastes like freshly made tortilla wraps. yum. man, I'm getting taco stand flashbacks.

Can't wait to make that. Made this chilli last weekend. Can't vouch for its authenticity one way or the other, but it's the nicest chilli I've ever cooked (and I've made quite a few) and one of the best I've ever tasted. Up till then, I used mince, but I think chunks of beef work better.

Made fresh salsa last night. Pisses over anything in a jar.
This made about two pints.
7-8 large vine tomatoes, scored and put into hot water for 10 minutes. peeled and diced.
2 large red chilis, 1 green, diced.
Juice of 1 lime.
6 whole green onions, diced.
Handful of fresh coriander roughly chopped.
Salt.

Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
Should be both chunky and watery.
Taste even better today.
nom.

For a slightly different style of salsa:

10-12 lovely ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
6 or so jalapenos or serranos (or whatever you can get, ideally a meaty chili, but watch the heat if you're not sure what you've got) chopped (and de-seeded if you want to moderate the kick)
juice of a lime
bunch of spring onions
an avocado
buch of coriander, roughly chopped

Throw your tomatoes and chilis into a hot pan with a splash of oil. Fry them down to a pulp, and let them reduce by about a third. Throw this into a blender with the lime juice and blend until smooth. Let the mixture cool.

Chop the spring onions into little "barrel" segments, around 5cm long. Dice the avocado. Add the sping onions, avocado and chopped coriander to the tomato and chili mixture, and set aside for a couple of hours.

I usually make a load of this and eat it on everything.

I have Rick Bayless's Mexican Kitchen. Great mix of recipes, bit American, so we can't get everything too handy. No idea where to get masa harina for tortillas.

Anyone know where to get these babies in Dublin?
Tomatillo.
tomatillos.jpg

Also looking for fresh jalapeno and serrano.
Wanna make salsa verde.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back