Meteor Choice Music Prize Shortlist (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter pete
  • Start date
  • Replies 107
  • Views 7K
  • Watchers 3

So who should win?

• Wallis Bird

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Cast of Cheers

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Adrian Crowley

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Delorentos

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Damien Dempsey

• Julie Feeney

• Heathers

• Mumblin Deaf Ro

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • Two Door Cinema Club

• Windings

Votes: 7 25.0%

• Total voters
Mildly annoying list, mainly because of the omission of cover & flood by katie kim which was in my mind the best irish album of the last year.

Is there a rule about what constitutes an album ? 30 minutes or 10 tracks or something ?

No Spill Blood aren't on that list either which I can only imagine is because they broke some rules.

http://www.choicemusicprize.com/2012-albums-list.html

at least katie kim was in the running.

its all about what falls in your lap. i havent heard katie kim or no spill blood (but will check them out). cant imagine any one person has heard all those records.

Kieron, not sure how long the no spill blood record is by "technically" anything less than 30 mins is classified as an extended play ( ep ). This was certainly the case a few years ago anyways, and to the best of my knowledge, still is

For the purposes of the Meteor Choice Music Prize, an album must contain either six or more tracks and be over 33 mins, 20 seconds in length OR a minimum of 9 separate tracks AND a minimum of 25 minutes of music.

they change this annually, based on what length of album i release.

I haven't followed this every year, but I have for the last couple and it strikes me that this is year's list is particularly weak, with produced, lowest-common-denominator munge predominating.

Adrian Crowley, MDR and Windings all stand out with excellent albums and if there's any justice etc etc.

Also, I know it's said every year but if you were to view this as a snapshot of the Irish music scene -- which of course many people will - you would think that all that this island produces is guitar-indie-rock and singer-songwriter folk, which is really not the case at all. I find that really quite sad. Even last year there was an electronic act included, for example, and however tokenistic that might come across it's still better than having to listen to what sounds like the same album over and over.

I haven't followed this every year, but I have for the last couple and it strikes me that this is year's list is particularly weak, with produced, lowest-common-denominator munge predominating.

Adrian Crowley, MDR and Windings all stand out with excellent albums and if there's any justice etc etc.

Also, I know it's said every year but if you were to view this as a snapshot of the Irish music scene -- which of course many people will - you would think that all that this island produces is guitar-indie-rock and singer-songwriter folk, which is really not the case at all. I find that really quite sad. Even last year there was an electronic act included, for example, and however tokenistic that might come across it's still better than having to listen to what sounds like the same album over and over.

I basically agree with you 100%.

I listened to all the albums last year, and all this year in preps for my radio show (its part of my college, i haven't gone mad). What i could say about it is that at some level its the internet fucking up music. I consider myself pretty avid - i listen to radio, i follow 4-5 blogs. i read/listen to almost everything that hits up on thumped. even at that, its tunnel vision. Basically everyone has their own radar these days, and dare i say it (dig, dig, dig) the judges this years personal radars have obviously been informed by previous years actually putting this stuff on their radar.

i'm pretty sure its actually its 4-5 repeat nominees. A few people have highlighted some glaring omissions while simultaneously saying that they literally have never heard a/b and c. It just comes down to what people have heard and been told about repetitively essentially, i just dont know how it could be made comprehensive. maybe the GAA have this right.

threw 20 snots on adrian crowley a few months back. had forgotten all about it. c'mon AC. papa needs a new pair of everything

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back