Mercury Prize nominees for 2009 (1 Viewer)

Don't you have to enter your band into the competition and pay money to do it?
The judges are hardly scouring the country for the best unsigned bands etc. They get bands who can afford to enter - ie bands on labels/etc- and pick the best from those. It's certainly not the be-all and end-all of who's actually good. It's great that there are so many women on the list though, for a change. I still maintain that if the lead singer of La Roux cannot, repeat, cannot sing, though.

There are always plenty of women on the Mercury shortlist. Certainly wasn't aware of there being some male monopoly on it anyway.

Oh please, yourself.
It's a wankfest. Giving awards for art, be it the Oscars or the Turner, is by its very nature, ridiculous.
Despite what the Mercury or the press say, there is no such thing as a 'good album', only what you like or don't like.
Plus, these cunts spend so much time second- and third-guessing themselves as to make the whole thing a parody of its already fucked-up self.
They might as well just get Q or Mojo to do it for one of their 'lists' issues. Same fucking thing like.

looks like someones band didn't get a nomination!

The second Bat for Lashes album is deadly!! There's only 2 songs I might skip on it. She's a talented whooer!

Mercury music prize is usually a load of bog, it comes around every year to hype bands and boost sales. I can see how some people might use it as a guide for new bands though.

Don't you have to enter your band into the competition and pay money to do it?

£195 and 25 copies of the album, which I suppose isn't really a whole lot when you consider the increase in exposure that will be gained by winning or even being nominated for the thing but that doesn't sit right with me, actually it's fairly absurd. According to Jim Carroll on his blog today only 233 people/bands entered in 2007.

I must say Daniel by Bat for lashes and rabbit heart by Florence and the machine are two of my favourite songs this year. Quirky und catchy. It's how I roll.............

I really hope the rest of Florence And The Machine's stuff is better than that song about beating up your boyfriend or your boyfriend beating you up or whatever. A dire song on almost every possible level ....

Anyone know if this is something many Irish bands bother with? The Irish nom sometimes seems like the obligatory urban and folk nominations, possibly because the prize and its press is UK-based and they don't tend to care about the music coming from here most of the year anyway.

does anyone know whether the Mercury has any financial reward involved? Win the Turner prize and you get £40,000. Which, in theory, can finance an artists work for a decent period of time, considering some of the entries are ,again in theory, unsellable , (video work for example) it kind of works as a form of bursary as well as free publicity and therefore, not nescisarilly a bad thing. The problem with these awards is that they usually don't support emerging talent so much as backslap the already overly well supported. So in theory awards good, in actuality meaningless.

Still it's nice to win something isn't it? I got a Postman Pat Postcard for drawing picture of a cat when i was 4. That was deadly. Not sure it was a prize though.

does anyone know whether the Mercury has any financial reward involved? Win the Turner prize and you get £40,000. Which, in theory, can finance an artists work for a decent period of time, considering some of the entries are ,again in theory, unsellable , (video work for example) it kind of works as a form of bursary as well as free publicity and therefore, not nescisarilly a bad thing. The problem with these awards is that they usually don't support emerging talent so much as backslap the already overly well supported. So in theory awards good, in actuality meaningless.

I think the bump in sales these days is the reward.
And the extra notoriety.

No cash prize AFAIK.

And it's nothing like the NY Times book list. That's 100 notable books with reviews attached so you can decide for yourself.
It's more like the Booker, which is also wank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back