Mercury Prize nominees for 2009 (2 Viewers)

I wouldn't say no to 20 large I tell you what.

They'd prolly say no to me however.

it is 20 grand, remember Klaxons spoke about giving their cash to very worthy causes

"We want to give the money to charity, but something that interests us where they struggle to get donations. Our album is devilled in sci-fi so we want something more abstract - like advances in telepathy or a new age science."

Jeez leweez :confused:

it is 20 grand, remember Klaxons spoke about giving their cash to very worthy causes

"We want to give the money to charity, but something that interests us where they struggle to get donations. Our album is devilled in sci-fi so we want something more abstract - like advances in telepathy or a new age science."

Jeez leweez :confused:

twits of the near future

publicity or nay
20 grand would secure any underground band worth it's salts future for what four or five years, to record and release shit loads records. it's a drop in the fucking ocean to any of the nominees, none of whom i imagine have a clue how much it costs (not to mention how much time and heartache) to be a productive unsigned band. this is where my anger at the whole charade comes from. Not the fact that every second of every nominated album is utter shite, which i'm sure is true.

why has the whole "industry" got it so wrong? I suppose it's always been this way.

publicity or nay
20 grand would secure any underground band worth it's salts future for what four or five years, to record and release shit loads records. it's a drop in the fucking ocean to any of the nominees, none of whom i imagine have a clue how much it costs (not to mention how much time and heartache) to be a productive unsigned band. this is where my anger at the whole charade comes from.

Lisa Hannigan paid for her album herself and has been licencing it out to various labels.

publicity or nay
20 grand would secure any underground band worth it's salts future for what four or five years, to record and release shit loads records. it's a drop in the fucking ocean to any of the nominees, none of whom i imagine have a clue how much it costs (not to mention how much time and heartache) to be a productive unsigned band. this is where my anger at the whole charade comes from. Not the fact that every second of every nominated album is utter shite, which i'm sure is true.

It's like punk never 'appened.

It's like punk never 'appened.

firstly fair play to lisa , i hope she wins so.

secondly if the industry has to exist and has to hand out prizes it would be nice to see them go to

A. worthy recipients (which is a matter of taste of course)

and

B. be as benificial as possible the recipient's ability to continue working

there is nothing wrong with giving out industry awards, every single industry does it. you can win sofa designer of the year or cleaning opperative of the decade. there is something deeply wrong with the way entertainment awards are just thrown around by the upper level types to other upper level types, that's what makes it such a pointless waste of time.

it's a drop in the fucking ocean to any of the nominees, none of whom i imagine have a clue how much it costs (not to mention how much time and heartache) to be a productive unsigned band.

I'd say the friendly fires still live their folks

It's 2009 dude, bands make fuck all money, most of the acts on that list are probably in debt, it's not like Fleetwood Mac in the 70's or Duran Duran pricking around on their yachts anymore

I'd say the friendly fires still live their folks

It's 2009 dude, bands make fuck all money, most of the acts on that list are probably in debt, it's not like Fleetwood Mac in the 70's or Duran Duran pricking around on their yachts anymore

I suppose that is true. actually it's not even the bands i could give a fuck about really it's just the kind of industry types give awards to industry types back slapping. Lets all just root for the little guy.

Who is the littlist guy (or gal) here?

firstly fair play to lisa , i hope she wins so.

secondly if the industry has to exist and has to hand out prizes it would be nice to see them go to

A. worthy recipients (which is a matter of taste of course)

and

B. be as benificial as possible the recipient's ability to continue working

there is nothing wrong with giving out industry awards, every single industry does it. you can win sofa designer of the year or cleaning opperative of the decade. there is something deeply wrong with the way entertainment awards are just thrown around by the upper level types to other upper level types, that's what makes it such a pointless waste of time.

I don't know where to start with this.
The 'industry', as you call it, is fucked.
Albums are going the way of sheet music.

But to answer your points

A - Everyone's worthy. Everyone who submitted to the Mercury and the ten times that that didn't probably poured their heart and soul into their record. Life isn't fair though.

B- Are you suggesting we means test the Mercury?
Now that I could get with.

I suppose that is true. actually it's not even the bands i could give a fuck about really it's just the kind of industry types give awards to industry types back slapping. Lets all just root for the little guy.

Who is the littlist guy (or gal) here?

You want to support the little guy?
Get off your hole and go into Whelan's or some other venue tonight.
The Mercury is an irrelevancy to music. It's an industry award.

EDIT
Three posts in a row.
Can someone ban me?

I'm about to get up off me hole and go into Whelan's, but only because my internet connection is too rubbish to watch the stream of the Bohs-Salzburg match. :(
PS it was sold out when I tried to get a ticket this evening.

Mercury.

You want to support the little guy?
Get off your hole and go into Whelan's or some other venue tonight.
The Mercury is an irrelevancy to music. It's an industry award.

EDIT
Three posts in a row.
Can someone ban me?

calm down there, i did say earlier i knew it was an industry award,

by worthy i meant actually a good record rather than a piece of throw away fashion and as for the means test that really isn't that bad an idea is it? there is 20 grand involved after all. which as i pointed out earlier is the equivalent of a hefty grant.

and industry awards aren't irrelivant. most film festivals give away awards with monitary value to very young and often financially insecure film makers and this money can be a real god send.

all i'm saying is that for the mercury or any other industry award to be rellivant it should cast it's eye a lot farther afield to much smaller labels and more obscure artists.

and as for the above. that is actually extremely insulting.

well done, I've been called a lot of things but un-supportive is new, thanks i can comfortably walk on asshole cloud nine all evening.

calm down there, i did say earlier i knew it was an industry award,

by worthy i meant actually a good record rather than a piece of throw away fashion and as for the means test that really isn't that bad an idea is it? there is 20 grand involved after all. which as i pointed out earlier is the equivalent of a hefty grant.

and industry awards aren't irrelivant. most film festivals give away awards with monitary value to very young and often financially insecure film makers and this money can be a real god send.

all i'm saying is that for the mercury or any other industry award to be rellivant it should cast it's eye a lot farther afield to much smaller labels and more obscure artists.

and as for the above. that is actually extremely insulting.

well done, I've been called a lot of things but un-supportive is new, thanks i can comfortably walk on asshole cloud nine all evening.

thing is though you have to actually enter it; it's not like choice where you release something and that's it!!
i read in 2007 that out of all the many of albums released in the UK and ireland that year, only 233 stumped up the £200 to enter the thing

it's all well and good going on about the indie acts and labels, but if they don't enter they're hardly likely to win and on other side of that, i can't realistically see any company sponsoring the thing if no one has heard of any of the artists on it!

Speech Debelle won.

"One of my favourite bands is Kings of Leon"

"Ms. Dynamite was an inspiration for me"

FFS, I don't know who she is but she's obviously garbage

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back