• Replies 24
  • Views 2K
  • Watchers 1

moc

Website
Visit site
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=musicNews&storyID=6177296

By Tom Ferguson

LONDON (Billboard) - Scottish alternative rock act Franz Ferdinand has won Britain's coveted Mercury Prize for its eponymous debut album.

The annual music-industry award, recognizing the U.K. or Irish album of the year, was presented Tuesday night at the Grosvenor House hotel in London.

"We didn't expect to win this," said lead vocalist Alex Kapranos upon accepting the honor. "The bands (nominated) this year reflect a trend in the U.K. toward fantastic music."

Franz Ferdinand and U.K. garage act the Streets, a.k.a. rapper Mike Skinner, had been 3/1 joint favorites to win the award, according to bookmaker William Hill.

The winner was chosen from a shortlist of 12 albums by a 11-strong panel comprising media representatives and artists, headed by author Simon Frith. The shortlist was announced July 20, having been selected from a pool of 180 nominated albums.

The prize ceremony was broadcast live nationally by Top 40 station BBC Radio 1 and on digital TV channel BBC 4..

The full shortlist was: Basement Jaxx, "Kish Kash"; Belle & Sebastian, "Dear Catastrophe Waitress"; Franz Ferdinand "Franz Ferdinand"; Jamelia, "Thank You"; Keane, "Hopes and Fears"; Snow Patrol, "Final Straw"; The Streets, "A Grand Don't Come for Free"; Joss Stone, "The Soul Sessions"; Ty, "Upwards"; Amy Winehouse, "Frank"; Robert Wyatt, "Cuckooland"; the Zutons, "Who Killed ... The Zutons."

Last year's winner was teen-aged hip-hop artist Dizzee Rascal.

Reuters/Billboard

© Reuters 2004. All Rights Reserved.
seems franz ferdinand won it...

kirstie said:
I might like Friends Ferdinand if I didn't actually already like the Gang of 4
gang of four? i thought they sounded more like a cheap, dancier strokes. best gang of four rip-off band is erase errata.

yeah, I think the Friends of Ferdinand have a Gang o' 4 Record or 3. And an Orange Juice long player or 5.

Franz Ferdinand are The Feelies crossed with A Gang of Four. There is a photo of The Feelies inside Crazy Rhythms LP that looks exactly like FF. They might not have heard any of their stuff but it is quite similiar. Still good though.

mitochondrian said:
is it just me or have the mercuries gone very pop orientated of late
like jamelia & basement jaxx amongst others.i thought the whole point was to highlight less commercial music,no?
[size=-1]"the annual Panasonic Mercury Music Prize aims to celebrate the best in British music"

so maybe pop is getting a bit better?

I think basement jaxx and Jamelia are pretty alright for pop music.
[/size]

i've nothing against the whole pop thing it just seems there are so many other awards out there that celebrate pop music that it would be nice to see a high profile awards ceremony for smaller artists that are making as good as and usually better music.
yis are probably right about the ever-present inclusion of pop in the mercuries i think when i see them i usually brush over those big acts and
concentrate/root for the less well known stuff.

dirtydishes said:
Franz Ferdinand are The Feelies crossed with A Gang of Four. There is a photo of The Feelies inside Crazy Rhythms LP that looks exactly like FF. They might not have heard any of their stuff but it is quite similiar. Still good though.
franz ferdinand are the darkness crossed with indie crap

Franz_Carr.jpg
ferdinand_rio4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back