Melaton (2 Viewers)

I'd like to include an awful lot more music if i could - it's just that records and gigs cost money which is something I've not got a lot of - so i just do what.

I've got an estimated 3 free records and 1 free gig with a total cost price of about £25. Now I'd earn that in at most 5 hours in any old job. I've put in a few more hours work than that, I can tell you. So that evidently aint why I'm doing it.

That's me finished on this one

good day to you

Well I think that, em, that it's all a load of crap this music thing. All those bands and thing, they're all shit and they think they're so fancy with their mop-top hair and flowery clothes. It's all a big piece of shit. The whole lot.

"I wish, sonny, they got signed just before they sat the leaving - lucky chaps"

so they got signed and you think this makes them lucky!?!?! do you know what site this is? for example, have you read this?

[ever thought of not giving the witnness brand and every other corporate 'indie' band free advertising on your site?]

ah come on. they 18 and loose. it's all drink and burds for two weeks and stories to tell their childers. i got signed. then we got dumped and i had to work in mcD's just to get enough money to pay the record label back* for all the advance i spent on nose candy and clams. but they's young, they'll survive. as long as they passes. they better have knuckled down or else. you will ALWAYS NEED SOMETHING TO FALL BACK ON.

but still. they will be the best 2 weeks of their lives. sigh.

*this happened to a bloke i know.

Hector, you may have acidentally uncovered something special there:

McDonald's - McD's - MCD.....

suddenly it all becomes clear.

FUCK. FUCK. FLOOD THE CHAMBER.....THEY'RE ONTO US!

oh, hold on. it's lunch time.

LATER.

Well, yes I have read the Albini essay and yes there is an amount of luck in getting signed provided the contract is good because just because you're good doesn't mean you'll get signed.

Not every band on a big/biggish label are bad: Radiohead, Nirvana, Badly Drawn Boy (XL not TN), Beck, Stone Roses etc... or necessarily get fucked about

And the so called "free advertising" -fuck all people see my site anyway so what's the fucking difference ? HO HO HO I'm not trying to make any sort of political message with the music I choose to feature on my site - be it independent or dependent...its just about the music so rack off

ok. firstly a couple of observations.

- obviously good music is released by major labels, (although i wouldn't necessarily agree with the people you've chosen as representative of this). this doesn't mean that major labels give a shit about good music. the only reason they're concerned about 'credible' music and musicians is because credibility sells (and also because it accrues prestige and status to the label - as in 'look at us, we can take a weird band and still make money').

- the albini essay is not about making sure the 'contract is good' and that there's 'an amount of luck in getting signed' as you imply. it's about the unfairness, hypocrisy and crass exploitation inherent in most, if not all contracts, as well as the bizarreness of the concept of there needing to be a contract at all when the 'goods' are supposedly art.

- "Not every band on a big/biggish label...necessarily get fucked about". Of course not. most of the bands with the option to do what they feel like have reached that position by already proving their bankability - radiohead, the stone roses, nirvana. This doesn't change the fact that contracts are designed to fuck you about. they only exist to keep the musician in a legally, ethically and artistically compromised position. they serve no other purpose. the balance of power can only come back towards the artists' end after they've sold squillions of records, preferably in an incredibly short timespan. this only ever happens to a miniscule proportion of all bands signed. out of an average ten thousand bands who sign a deal memo or some other legally binding contract (usually without them realising the true extent of what they've signed away), maybe ten will become big enough to be able to dictate terms to their label.

right. now.

your site gives free advertising. you admit that yourself. but it's fine, in principle, to give free advertising to large multinationals (thereby enhancing their credibility, of course) the only relevant point being that no-one might see it, which apparently makes it alright. despite the fact that these companies have oodles of money to hype their wares, and despite the fact that there are so many fantastic irish bands releasing stuff themselves without the help of any of the big 4 and their fronts, it's fine to give free ad space simply because no-one will look at it. that's your justification and you're welcome to it.

"just because you're good doesn't mean you'll get signed"

no way.

I used quotes when I said "free advertising" because that's not what it fucking is... what I meant to imply was so-called free advertising.

If you consider someone writing about something advertising then maybe in your book it is. Just trying to share the music I like. I haven't made a penny out of my website or out of music through any other means and I don't plan to.

As I've said I'm not interested in politics or making a statement - I just like music - independent and not.

I'm not saying I like major labels - but they put out lots of the music that I like so I'm not gonna not buy it because of the label.

There are good guys out there like Twisted nerve for one who put out records and who people sign deals with.

If you think I'm sucking corporate cock what am I getting out of it ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back