Meeting People (1 Viewer)

Shitloads of people are meeting online.
I was at 2 weddings recently where the couples had met on dating sites.

I don't really know anyone on Thumped but my experience has been that bucketloads of hooking up happens on boards like these.
really? maybe i'm really old-fashioned about this or something, but is it not a bit clinical to meet someone online?

A friend of mine is engaged now to a guy she met through some facebook dating thing. That was another reason for this thread because although I'm really happy for her there is still a part of me that thinks it's a bit weird.

Well one of them was in the US.
I was at a table where every couple had met on match.com. Four couples.
They consequently would not shut the fuck up about it. Which I could have lived without.

I don't really know anyone on Thumped but my experience has been that bucketloads of hooking up happens on boards like these.

Shall we speculate about this one?

As regards internet dating , it is a bit cold and clinical until about 5 seconds after you meet and then you're just two people having a coffee/drink/constructing exit strategies. It's really fine.

As regards internet dating , it is a bit cold and clinical until about 5 seconds after you meet and then you're just two people having a coffee/drink/constructing exit strategies. It's really fine.

So, you tried internet dating? A dating website or just someone you met through a forum or social networking site? What made you decide to try it?

yeah but that's not so much the bit i'm concerned about. the idea that you go through a website checking out loads of different strangers to see which one of them tickles your fancy the most seems a bit contrived. in fairness going to a club and drunkenly doing the same thing is arguably not much better, but there's at least a sense of some serendpity there. it may be false, but i dunno. it seems vaguely more romantic and less clinical.
i'll probably go and join a match making website now and meet my first wife there.

edit: actually i should probably point out that i'm not trying to be really judgemental and putting down internet dating. like i said i am fascinated by the idea of it. i think if it works for you then that's fantastic. there's a big part of me that thinks it's really deadly and really interesting and i'd love to give it a try. but then another part of me thinks that to give it a try would be to give up on the romantic notion of being lucky enough to find someone you really click with. i've been lucky enough to have it happen to me a few times and unlucky enough that it hasn't worked out on any of those occasions, but i just don't like the idea of taking the element of chance or luck or like i said serendipity out of the occasion. i liked the way i felt lucky when it happened before and i'd like that to happen again.
i also really like the word serendipity.
and smock.
smock.gif

I love how none of the guys are replying :)

Fair play to you Roisin, I've never had the nerve to ask a guy out.
Last time I was asked out by a girl, she was a friend of a friend of a friend I met on a night out. Got on like a house on fire. She suggested we go for a drink. Swapped numbers. Went for drink. Didn't get on like a house on fire. The end.

I've never met a girl through work, music or hobbies (as i mainly work, music and hobby with blokes). It's always on nights out/parties.

last girl i met up with: knew her from years ago and then she got onto me me via facebook.
one before that: through my brother
one before that: through a friend

new years resolution: decided i need to get out and do more stuff to meet new people.

last girl i met up with: knew her from years ago and then she got onto me me via facebook.
one before that: through my brother

new years resolution: decided i need to get out and do more stuff to meet new people.

so what you gonna do?
like what kind of things do people do to meet other people other than get drunk.

yeah but that's not so much the bit i'm concerned about. the idea that you go through a website checking out loads of different strangers to see which one of them tickles your fancy the most seems a bit contrived. in fairness going to a club and drunkenly doing the same thing is arguably not much better, but there's at least a sense of some serendpity there. it may be false, but i dunno. it seems vaguely more romantic and less clinical.
i'll probably go and join a match making website now and meet my first wife there.

edit: actually i should probably point out that i'm not trying to be really judgemental and putting down internet dating. like i said i am fascinated by the idea of it. i think if it works for you then that's fantastic. there's a big part of me that thinks it's really deadly and really interesting and i'd love to give it a try. but then another part of me thinks that to give it a try would be to give up on the romantic notion of being lucky enough to find someone you really click with. i've been lucky enough to have it happen to me a few times and unlucky enough that it hasn't worked out on any of those occasions, but i just don't like the idea of taking the element of chance or luck or like i said serendipity out of the occasion. i liked the way i felt lucky when it happened before and i'd like that to happen again.
i also really like the word serendipity.
and smock.
smock.gif

Yeah, that's the thing, the whole serendipity thing really appeals, and lately I've been aware that my habit of wearing massive headphones blaring music practically all the time might mean I'm missing opportunities to meet cool people, not necessarily for dating purposes... just the whole anti-social thing.

Also, Watterson = genius.

Last time I was asked out by a girl, she was a friend of a friend of a friend I met on a night out. Got on like a house on fire. She suggested we go for a drink. Swapped numbers. Went for drink. Didn't get on like a house on fire. The end.

I've never met a girl through work, music or hobbies (as i mainly work, music and hobby with blokes). It's always on nights out/parties.

But even a bad date can be fun, I've had my share of awkward dates but they all add to the experience and being intimately (in that it is something shared by only the two of you) to another human, even by mutual embarrassment, is good, right?

Work used to be an option for me, but not any more... although I meet lots of guys through my job I have to keep them in line so even friendship is out of the question.

Yeah, that's the thing, the whole serendipity thing really appeals, and lately I've been aware that my habit of wearing massive headphones blaring music practically all the time might mean I'm missing opportunities to meet cool people, not necessarily for dating purposes... just the whole anti-social thing.

Also, Watterson = genius.

But even a bad date can be fun, I've had my share of awkward dates but they all add to the experience and being intimately (in that it is something shared by only the two of you) to another human, even by mutual embarrassment, is good, right?

Work used to be an option for me, but not any more... although I meet lots of guys through my job I have to keep them in line so even friendship is out of the question.
do you teach in a primary school?

do you teach in a primary school?

Hahaha! Sometimes it feels like that. No, I work for a Regulator. (Not the financial regulator before anyone de-reps me) Being chatted up by the guys I deal with just makes me feel dirty, like they're just trying to compromise me so they'll get away with breaking the rules.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back