Mayday events (3 Viewers)

The Garda Commissioner says he expects between 200-300 people to come to Dublin this weekend to try to cause trouble.

Noel Conroy says the Gardaí have gathered intelligence and information from the Internet. Most of the 'troublemakers' he says are coming from Britain and some have carried out reconnaissance trips here.

The commissioner says the gardaí have no power to stop these people coming into Ireland but they will be kept under surveillance.

He says the majority of people who want to protest, want to do so peacefully. However, gardaí believe these people will come armed and try to mix with marchers and cause trouble.

Ropes have been found in the Phoenix park and raids on unoccupied homes and flats in Dublin have recovered protective padding, spray paint, Womble stencils and bleach.

Gardaí are drawing up a list and checking empty buildings for squatters.

Over 1,000 gardaí in riot gear will be on standby. The security operation is expected to cost over €4m.

The defence forces will also have over 2,500 soldiers on duty in Farmleigh, the Phoenix Park and around the city. The Army Bomb Disposal Unit will be on duty and the Naval Service will patrol Dublin Bay.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2004/0428/mayday.html

"raids on unoccupied homes and flats in Dublin have recovered protective padding, spray paint, Womble stencils and bleach."

I'm sure if they raided any house in Ireland they would find a bottle of bleach .

since when was protective padding and stencils a major security threat ?

potlatch said:
Fair enough, but mobile phones can be used to trigger bombs.
yeah , but you kind of need to build a bomb as well . I'm sure if there was bombs found we would of heard all about it .

if owning a mobile and a bottle of bleach is a criminal offence then the vast majority of the country needs to be locked up .

Jail prepares for May Day inmates: report
It has been reported that a prison wing, which accommodates up to 100 prisoners in Dublin's Cloverhill jail, has been cleared in case large numbers of protesters are detained during Saturday's May Day demonstrations.
According to a report in the Irish Times, prisoners have been transferred to Wheatfield Prison in recent days.

Special sittings at the prison's courthouse are also reported to be planned.

Yesterday, Garda Commissioner Noel Conroy said that gardaí expected that up to 300 international protesters might attempt to cause disturbances near celebrations marking the entry into the EU of ten new member states.

Gardaí will put on display two water cannon borrowed from the North's police force later this morning.
http://www.rte.ie/news/2004/0429/mayday.html

Police hose down anti-EU marchers
Irish riot police have driven back hundreds of anti-capitalist demonstrators protesting at Saturday's historic enlargement of the EU.

They directed a water cannon into the crowd near the Phoenix Park venue for the EU summit before a phalanx of officers with shields forced it back.

But no serious incidents were reported during the stand-off which a BBC correspondent described as surreal. Nor did events in the street have any effect on the business of the summit.

The protesters waved black and red flags and banners saying "No borders, no nations, against a Europe of capital". Some of the marchers, most of them of student age, wore masks and scarves over their faces.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3677337.stm

Attachments

• cokeriot.jpg
    cokeriot.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 157
them water canons were crazy. i was standing between 50-80 yards back, thought i was pretty safe, next thing i knew-soaked!

they wanted to move the people at the front, but most of the time they were spraying the canons over them people and just gettin people at the back, which pissed more people off. I'd say they were just having a great laugh ya know, they'll probably never get the use them things again for a long time. although perhaps when bush comes over but then other gardai will have to get their fair turn at 'soaking tha hippies'

rape the drummer said:
then other gardai will have to get their fair turn at 'soaking tha hippies'
they shoulda passed out bottles of head and shoulders, give the crusties a good washing. saw a girl on the bus on friday, she had chunks and splinters of wood tangled up in her dreads. that's what you get when the trees hug back...

talking about Garda Agent Provocateurs (sortof), is there truth in the rumour that GAP has officially apologised for the condition of the sweatshops in the far east?

just so's i can feel less guilty about having so much GAP in my wardrobe

lmd64 said:
talking about Garda Agent Provocateurs (sortof), is there truth in the rumour that GAP has officially apologised for the condition of the sweatshops in the far east?

just so's i can feel less guilty about having so much GAP in my wardrobe

Maybe something along the lines of "Sorry everyone, sure we'll double all the workers' pay, 2p an hour, is that all right?"

that's kinda what i was thinking

"oooh, SORRY we've been treating you as enforced slave labour, look, we've put up a picture of happy americans frolicing around wearing the clothes you've made, isn't that an inspiring picture for you all, now back to work before we set loose the rottweillers"

or maybe just

"ooh, sorry, my bad"

bet the CEO of GAP found THAT a hard apology to make, yes

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back