Mandatory Drug Testing (1 Viewer)

Oh boy. This is nuts. Deadly buzz.
Aoboa. I agree with you.
Brianoak what on earth are you talking about? Seriously? A large proportion of problem heroin users are from middle class backgrounds. Who told you that? Professor Teapot?

Here's what I think inanyways.

Politicians wax on about crime and getting tough on it because it is something that people are very scared of. Particularly people who have no contact with it. For example, a lady living in Lovely Leaf Lane reads about 'junkie scum chases old granny up a tree' and thinks 'oh my, junkies are scary' and forms loads of opinions having never actually had any encouters with problem drug use herself. Then McDowell comes on de telly saying he's gonna get tough on crime and she's all like 'pat pat pat, jolly good, you've got my support'. She's been completely distracted by this and no longer cares about the fact that he's fuckin shit up elsewhere big style.

Drugs in prison exist. They always will. Many people in prison have had really really shitty lives and sobriety is just not psychologically feasible for them, or else they're just very addicted to drugs. For many people in prison, the reason they're so fucked up is because of figures of authority messing around with them as children. Introducing more draconian and degrading measures can only serve to further alienate these people from 'normal society' and it's institutions and rules.

RIGHT doesn't anyone think that having all of your civil liberties taken away is punishment enough? Drugs are illegal on the outside but you don't see mandatory testing going on out there as a means of control. Why? Because if that clown McDowell tried to introduce such a thing he'd be lynched. It's a violation of your right to privacy and bodily integrity. It's just wrong. He's a bully picking on HUMANS (they're still humans you know) in prison. There's no logic in his double standards other than appealing to the public and getting votes.

We've made progress. We've realised that IV drug use is dangerous but we've also decided to deal with the symptoms (dealing with the root of the problems..... that's the holy grail right there) by introducting means of reducing the harm caused by it. We give drug users clean needles and condoms. This prevents the spread of HIV/AIDS/ Hep. C.
DUH...... this risk is magnified by a squillion in prisons because...... they've no clean needles and they have to do it in secret, which means increased rates of transmission which is brought back into general society and we're all gonna die of aids nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnow.

If there was a more open drugs policy in prison, like in real life, I imagine it would be safer, cleaner, more dignified and..... prisoners would be more likely to seek productive help like counselling and life skills that relate to their drug using pasts if they weren't faced with an increased sentence.

I really could go on. but no one would read it.
zzzzzzz

Oh and McDowell used to practice personal injury law. Now he's the minster for Ju$ti€e

I texed my da. this is his reply:

plug's da said:
"why sham ar dey doon drugs in jail or wha"
now, can someone tell me just what the fuck that means!?

also:

• 10/10 for funky teen grammar
• 0/10 for punctuation

I passed the screw exam but turned it down because I was in college studying my 'vocation', music technology hahahaha! get to the back of that dole queue!!! anyway, I probably would have been like james woods when he played a PO in that movie (it's an old one) where he brought johnnies full of gear into prison in his flashk.. you gotta put bread on the table somehow!

edit: good points btw, ms. buzzo

cue: ah now they're all criminals i mean we definitely would only have put them in the prison cos there's something wrong with them and we need to punish them and keep them away cos they're criminals and that's what prison's for stop feeling sorry for them what happened to common decency we need a deterrent to stop them using drugs cos that's the problem.

Queen Buzzo said:
Drugs in prison exist. They always will. Many people in prison have had really really shitty lives and sobriety is just not psychologically feasible for them, or else they're just very addicted to drugs. For many people in prison, the reason they're so fucked up is because of figures of authority messing around with them as children. Introducing more draconian and degrading measures can only serve to further alienate these people from 'normal society' and it's institutions and rules.

Agree with the fact that these people were messed about as children. wouldn't it be better if we targeted today's kids before they get out of control? This country needs more professional child slappers, people who can wield some power with bold kids. y'know, chop off their rat's tails & take out their 'diamond' ear-rings before they reach 5. however, preventing kids from swearing before they leave the buggy would demand a much greater plan. we should also look at the possibility of fitting 50cc engines to buggys so that babies can drive themselves around.

Queen Buzzo said:
Yesterday our Minister for Justice released new prison policy that will introduce mandatory drug testing of prisoners. Today the Irish Times is holding an online poll on the issue. We'd appreciate it if you would take a moment to VOTE NO!

Just go to the Irish Times homepage (www.ireland.com) and scroll down to the bottom left hand corner where voting for the poll is taking place.

Duders this is totally nuts. Please do it.

Pete can you leave this on the general forum just for a little bit please?? or not. whatever. thanks

I thought the whole point of an opinion poll is to have your own opinion on the matter and not do what someone else says

Aoife:Was rushing in work when I wrote that.Meant to say larger proportion than you might think.The Mam is a counsellor in this field so thats were the information is from.

yeah. That's cool. There are shit loads of middle class kids who get addicted. As far as I know the addiction doesn't tend to be as chronic though because they have better access to support and resources. Not always.

It bothers me when people try to disassociate poverty as a major contibutory factor to drug addiction. The link is fairly obvious.

Yeah not always,I think its a case of like anything you have to want to do it(quit),and some people just dont want to or wont try.Thats what happened to the person I knew and it eventually killed them.You would go out of your way to help someone sort themselves out and the second you turn your back they are back at it.Frustrating and disheartening.

Yeah sorry I wasnt trying to dissaociate it with poverty.I took Aoaba up wrong and thought s/he was implying only poor people get hooked on heroin which obviously s/he didnt mean.My fault.
Queen Buzzo said:
yeah. That's cool. There are shit loads of middle class kids who get addicted. As far as I know the addiction doesn't tend to be as chronic though because they have better access to support and resources. Not always.

It bothers me when people try to disassociate poverty as a major contibutory factor to drug addiction. The link is fairly obvious.

brianoak said:
Yeah sorry I wasnt trying to dissaociate it with poverty.I took Aoaba up wrong and thought s/he was implying only poor people get hooked on heroin which obviously s/he didnt mean.My fault.

Have ya read any of that freakonomics book? The guy basically says if you're born poor you're fucked, and the reason why crime went down in the eighties/nineties was cos of easy access to abortion in the seventies.

Weird stuff. Compelling though..

oh yeah Brian. My ma does the same thing yours does. Maybe we should introduce them. Set up a Mother's forum where they can give out about us and worry about us and shit.

It's a tough fucking life man. I've only ever dealt with it on a professional level and that's frustrating. I can leave it all behind at the end of the day though, I can't imagine having someone close to me get into that shit.

That whole thing about choosing..... I dunno, it's a huge thing and I dont' think I could handle getting into it. It's so subjective and so unique from person to person. I have seen many people try to quit and fail. So many do try. have you seen the shit that injecting heroin does to your body? Ouch. Your life? Your family? Why would anyone choose to continue that behaviour? Maybe because real life is more painful? Maybe because they're unable to quit? Or maybe it's just a sacrifice they're willing to make.... I don't know.

Nope sounds compelling alright.Who wrote it?
TenRabbits said:
Have ya read any of that freakonomics book? The guy basically says if you're born poor you're fucked, and the reason why crime went down in the eighties/nineties was cos of easy access to abortion in the seventies.

Weird stuff. Compelling though..

Yeah your right.I certainly dont know the reasons and dont think I could get into this objectively either.

Mothers forum is funny idea though..My mam still worries about me being in town.She was married when she was my age.Its gas
Queen Buzzo said:
oh yeah Brian. My ma does the same thing yours does. Maybe we should introduce them. Set up a Mother's forum where they can give out about us and worry about us and shit.

It's a tough fucking life man. I've only ever dealt with it on a professional level and that's frustrating. I can leave it all behind at the end of the day though, I can't imagine having someone close to me get into that shit.

That whole thing about choosing..... I dunno, it's a huge thing and I dont' think I could handle getting into it. It's so subjective and so unique from person to person. I have seen so so so many people try to quit and fail. So many do try. have you seen the shit that injecting heroin does to your body? Ouch. Your life? Your family? Why would anyone choose to continue that behaviour? Maybe because real life is more painful? Maybe because they're unable to quit? Or maybe it's just a sacrifice they're willing to make.... I don't know.

just a few thoughts on this issue:
-the automatic criminalisation of users of certain substances in any situation is extremely harmful, tantamount to a form of judicial cruelty
-the idea that the bodily fluids of human beings should be subject to non-concentual examination by the state is a horrific affront to human rights
-the continued status of illegality that surrounds certain substances causes: extreme profits for criminal networks, illness and deaths in users due to adulterants and unknown dosages
-addiction should be treated as an illness, not a crime

as always, these are my opinions and i dont expect people to agree with me.

brianoak said:
Thats a common misconception that all Junkies come from impoverished areas.A large proportion come from stable middle class backgrounds and have no excuse.

The majority of people from impoverished areas don't turn to crime
so does that mean the junkies among them have no excuse either?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back