Mandatory Drug Testing (1 Viewer)

Bag'o'cans said:
Well i think we all know prisons should be places of reform and education not revolving doors back to your past, and we all know there are underlying causes of crime need to be tackled, but if you can take drugs willy nilly in a prison without fear of a test then we should all be allowed to do whatever we want, la la la laaa la laa....

i think the first step of reform (of prison and prisoner) is treating prisoners like human beings, no?

and i don't mean soft touch approach all the time.

I can imagine this being a botched politically-driven move.

How about this for a solution for the junkies problem...

You round up all the junkies you can catch and offer them help if they accept you put them on a proper programme and follow up on them and really help them to kick, should they be caught again you put them on the programme again and try to assess where they fell, if they are caught again you put them out to an Island which will now be called Junkie Island. On this island there will be mountians of herion, coke, meth, speed, E's etc and the junkie spends the rest of thier life there. The drugs will come from the police drug hauls...

Society is safe of the junkie, the junkies are happy as Larry, the dealers have nobody to deal to..

Bluto said:
So you think the prison service will just lock them in a room and let them die detoxing?

Well they've made no mention of how they propose dealing with situations like cold turkey.

evil bandit said:

You round up all the junkies you can catch and offer them help if they accept you put them on a proper programme and follow up on them and really help them to kick, should they be caught again you put them on the programme again and try to assess where they fell, if they are caught again you put them out to an Island which will now be called Junkie Island. On this island there will be mountians of herion, coke, meth, speed, E's etc and the junkie spends the rest of thier life there. The drugs will come from the police drug hauls...

Society is safe of the junkie, the junkies are happy as Larry, the dealers have nobody to deal to..

.|..| that's the most sensible thing anyone has said to date .|..|

evil bandit said:

P500.jpg

broken arm said:
i think the first step of reform (of prison and prisoner) is treating prisoners like human beings, no?

and i don't mean soft touch approach all the time.

I can imagine this being a botched politically-driven move.
I agree on the reform, i just stand elsewhere on the issue of drugs testing, tolerance is often walked all over in some circumstances.

Bag'o'cans said:
Ha ha, so they should be let have drugs!, and there is absolutely no support for them , yes? none at all?

The prison system is already f**ked. Drugs seem to be tolerated because there's no way prisons are equiped to deal with the problem of no drugs.
How will drug testing in prison help? What good does it do?

Bag'o'cans said:
I agree on the reform, i just stand elsewhere on the issue of drugs testing, tolerance is often walked all over in some circumstances.

I'm sure there is a sociological Phd on the issue of trust and prisoner reform gathering dust on a shelf somewhere.

why use an approach to dealing with drug use in prison that you don't use outside?

this is going a bit off the point,really it's not just heroin they'll be tested for.in fact heroin is harder to detect and this may encourages light drug users to move onto the harder stuff,or indeed give longer sentences to convicts using class c drugs.

I do.
But it wont work for reasons stated before
aoboa said:
This could go in circles for ever.
It's an issue of treating causes as opposed to treating the affects.
If a junky is arrested for robbing a handbag and was sentenced to rehabilitation with most of the same conditions as imprisonment, do you not think this would be a more rational way of dealing with them than throwing them into a prison filled with drugs, or as the proposal would have, a prison with no drugs and no support system for them?

drugs/prison.
thumped/work.

its all the same. mandatory testing by work for thumped posts under your username would indeed be bad buzz. but not neccesarily an infringement of your human rights.

broken arm said:
I'm sure there is a sociological Phd on the issue of trust and prisoner reform gathering dust on a shelf somewhere.

why use a approach to dealing with drug use in prison that you don't use outside?
I could say because it's a prison! or
they're probably just annoyed cos the prisoners are getting away with it and mocking their system, hence more draconian measures,
but i still wouldn't say no to drug testing despite the fuck up they make of reforming prisoners and drug use/dependence.

Bag'o'cans said:
I could say because it's a prison! or
they're probably just annoyed cos the prisoners are getting away with it and mocking their system, hence more draconian measures,
but i still wouldn't say no to drug testing despite the fuck up they make of reforming prisoners and drug use/dependence.

"mocking their system" ???

so why not use more draconian measures outside prison?

i'd just like to say I am not a fan of over regulation and I see that the introduction of measures like this represent a failure in the development and delivery of policy.

and mc Dowell is a KKKunt

broken arm said:

Exactly, like mandatory drug testing for anyone applying for a driving licence.

broken arm said:

because we are free, we live under the compromise whereby we obey the rules and we are extended freedoms, exempted from suspicions of drug abuse etc..
Prison is a place for the confinement of persons who have abused those freedoms and have lost certain liberties, i didn't say their rights as humans, i said certain liberties. hence i believe they can be tested.

Bag'o'cans said:
because we are free, we live under the compromise whereby we obey the rules and we are extended freedoms, exempted from suspicions of drug abuse etc..
Prison is a place for the confinement of persons who have abused those freedoms and have lost certain liberties, i didn't say their rights as humans, i said certain liberties. hence i believe they can be tested.

ok.

It's always been iilegal to drink alcohol in prisions hasn't it?
Injecting heroin on a regular basis is hardly a route towards reformation, but his new law is obviously just another "look we're tough on crime" stunt.

If the government was serious about reforming prisoners they'd introduce mandatory literacy courses - noone gets out until they can read to an adult level. Some might call that tough but it's a lot better than extending sentences for failing drug tests.
How about reducing sentences for people who pass their leaving cert while in Jail?

Sending people who formally profited from crime back into society who can't read to an employable level and expecting them to grow old on a streetsweepers pension is totally unrealistic.

surely that kind of thing is taken into consideration in the parole board.still very good point

desertedvillage said:
It's always been iilegal to drink alcohol in prisions hasn't it?
Injecting heroin on a regular basis is hardly a route towards reformation, but his new law is obviously just another "look we're tough on crime" stunt.

If the government was serious about reforming prisoners they'd introduce mandatory literacy courses - noone gets out until they can read to an adult level. Some might call that tough but it's a lot better than extending sentences for failing drug tests.
How about reducing sentences for people who pass their leaving cert while in Jail?

Sending people who formally profited from crime back into society who can't read to an employable level and expecting them to grow old on a streetsweepers pension is totally unrealistic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back