Malcolm Middleton (Arab Strap) Gig In Cork (1 Viewer)

corksongs

we here at corksongs are absolutely delighted to announce the following concert

MALCOLM MIDDLETON
THE LOBBY BAR
TUES 30 NOV
DOORS 9pm
ADMISSION €8

Malcolm Middleton is the musical half of eccentric Scottish post-folk duo Arab Strap. During the winter of 2001 he felt a bit down and wrote some songs. He then recorded a 10 track acoustic album which chemikal underground later asked him to transform into something more. His debut album, "5:14 Fluoxytine Seagull Alcohol John Nicotine", was released in 2002 to widepread critical acclaim.

His music is filled with regret and reproaches. It is uncomfortable for its open recriminations and beautiful for its honesty. "Speed on the M9," "The King of Bring," "The Loneliest Night of My Life Came Calling" and the devastating "Devil and the Angel" all prove Middleton's uncanny knack for writing hauntingly calm tunes with weirdly beautiful lyrics. Although there is much sadness in his music, Malcolm injects humour into his songs to hide the fact that when he was writing, he felt like his life was crumbling. His aching words are disguised by upbeat acoustic guitars, clattering drums and luminous melodies. Recorded with the help of Arab Strap partner Aidan Moffat, Jenny Reeve from Glaswegian slow-core wonders Eva and Mogwai's Barry Burns, this unassuming solo debut shows Middleton standing out on his own, in his typically quiet, soft-spoken and delightfully engaging manner.

"He has a real knack for marrying self-deprecating lyrics with dancing, luminous melodies", 4 stars - The Guardian.

<http://www.chemikal.co.uk/artist/Malcolm_Middleton.html>

Oh christ, that Ryanair song.

Also, that 'tribute' album to Lauren Laverne would have had me reaching for a restraining order, had I been the cheeky northern lass.

i didn't know that

i'm a frayed not that there is no other gigs booked, but come down to this and i'll find you a couch

have his album on for the first time...got it yesterday...tanx corksongs.....it sounds really good on first listen....i'm going to this gig for sure.....anyone in Cork should check it out....especially u ddmurph...i'd say ud be into it. could get well into this album.

speaking of hats

the supports are the man with the hat who'll have the aul video projections out and will be playing songs from his "songs for children, not suitable for children project"

and a fella from the u.s. who plays under the name BURD EARLY he is on western vinyl (who have released stuff by bonny billy and papa m). he is really good. he just recorded and album with jim white (dirty three, smog, cat power etc.)

rockportstockbrown10031065961878.jpeg

buck said:
have his album on for the first time...got it yesterday...tanx corksongs.....it sounds really good on first listen....i'm going to this gig for sure.....anyone in Cork should check it out....especially u ddmurph...i'd say ud be into it. could get well into this album.
yeah, should be there alright. love arab strap and the malcolm solo stuff i've heard is pretty deadly too (only heard a few songs though). saw arab strap at roskilde a few years ago expecting a fairly quite set. haha, anything but ... it was one of the loudest sets i've ever heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back