Making ice cream (1 Viewer)

Doctor Muscles

Website
members.lycos.co.uk
Seems pretty easy, except every recipe to be found on the internet seems to assume that I have and ice cream maker.

Does anyone here make ice cream? Surely it's possible to just blam it into the freezer?

Coffee, Nut and Fruit Ice-cream

Ingredients:
1 tbsp instant coffee
4 tbsp boiling water
2 eggs separated
100g icing sugar, sieved
300ml double cream
50g walnut halves, chopped
50g seedless raisins, chopped

Dissolve the coffee in the boiling water and allow to cool.
Whisk the egg whites until stiff and then fold in the icing sugar.
Whisk the egg yolks and coffee mixture together in a large bowl.
Fold in the whisked egg whites and combine thoroughly
Half whip the cream and fold into the mixture with the chopped nuts and raisins, Freeze

The above can be turned into a delicious Vanilla ice-cream by substituting vanilla extract for the coffee/boiling water bit and leaving out the fruit and nuts.

Raspberry Ice-cream

Ingredients:
1 lb fresh or frozen raspberries
sieved icing sugar
2 eggs
¼ pint double cream, lightly whipped

Sieve raspberries or put them into a blender. Sweeten to taste with icing sugar.

Beat egg yolks and 1oz (25g) icing sugar until thick and creamy. Whisk egg whites until stiff and peaky and whisk in 1oz (25g) icing sugar a little at a time. Gradually whisk in egg yolk mixture. Fold in raspberry purée and cream.

Freeze until firm.

Banana and Walnut Cream (This is really nice as a frozen treat too)

Ingredients:
4 large ripe bananas
1 tblsp lemon juice
3oz (75g) sugar
2oz (50g) walnut halves (optional – nice without them too)
¼ pint single cream
¼ pint double cream

Mash bananas and blend in lemon juice and sugar. Chop walnuts and add to bananas.

Lightly whip single and double cream and fold into banana mixture.

Can either be served straight away or partially frozen (or you can let it thaw slightly before serving).

Read note under the coffee one :)

Substitute vanilla extract (or vanilla seeds if you like) for the coffee extract and leave out the fruit and nuts.

Here squiggle that raspberry one looks divine but the eggs are raw right? Isn't that dodgy or does freezing it kill any offending bacteria?

I remember making ice cream when I was a kid and obviously I didn't whip the ingredients together properly because the eggs coagulated at the bottom of the dish. My dad and brother still slag me off about the Egg ice cream I tried to poison them with. Ungrateful hoors.

Been eating the stuff most of my life and never had any problems... good quality eggs are essential.

That raspberry is amazing!!!

deedee said:
Here squiggle that raspberry one looks divine but the eggs are raw right? Isn't that dodgy or does freezing it kill any offending bacteria?

I remember making ice cream when I was a kid and obviously I didn't whip the ingredients together properly because the eggs coagulated at the bottom of the dish. My dad and brother still slag me off about the Egg ice cream I tried to poison them with. Ungrateful hoors.

Actually, I think that coagulating a tthe bottom of the dish thing can happen if the ice cream doesn't freeze quickly enough.

lurlow said:
Seems pretty easy, except every recipe to be found on the internet seems to assume that I have and ice cream maker.

The function of an ice-cream maker is to continuously mix the ice-cream to prevent ice crystals forming and thus make it as smooth as possible. It's possible to approximate this by taking the ice-cream mixture out of the freezer every hour or so and mixing it with an electric mixer, until it's fully frozen. Egg-based mixtures tend to fare better than water-based ones, I find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back