Major Complaints Thread (1 Viewer)

i'm with PTSB for my current account, and their online presence is fine, but my mortgage is with AIB, and i had a comical conversation with someone in the mortgage securities department there a few years back.
i'd managed to get the direct number for them, which they seemed a little put out by - i was looking for copies of two documents relating to buying the freehold on the land our house is on (turns out *lots* of north dublin city is leasehold).
the chap i was talking to in AB was incredulous; he could not understand the concept of not owning the land your house is built on - he'd never heard of it. i had to explain it to him, and he works in the mortgage securities section in AIB...

i'm with PTSB for my current account, and their online presence is fine, but my mortgage is with AIB, and i had a comical conversation with someone in the mortgage securities department there a few years back.
i'd managed to get the direct number for them, which they seemed a little put out by - i was looking for copies of two documents relating to buying the freehold on the land our house is on (turns out *lots* of north dublin city is leasehold).
the chap i was talking to in AB was incredulous; he could not understand the concept of not owning the land your house is built on - he'd never heard of it. i had to explain it to him, and he works in the mortgage securities section in AIB...
That’s actually shocking.

didn't realise that that was commonplace in dublin beyond former corporation estates where the council held the ground rights. But I guess where you were was greenfields in the 40s/50s..
but still, that's pretty shocking he never heard of the concept.

very common in Germany too. Friends of ours have to pay 5 grand a year rent for the land *their* house is on. They own the house but not the land. What's worse is that the land is privately owned. There must be protections in place against the landowner coming in looking for the land back to do something else with it. But its a very strange system.

Ground rent here is nowhere near that, it's six quid a month for us I think. And about 700 years left on the lease. It starts getting complicated within about 25 years of the lease expiring, before that you can legally buy it out for about a grand.

in my case, it's now a solicitor in the city centre who bought it off some english lad for all i know. they probably copped there were hundreds of properties where the ground rent hadn't been collected in years.

very common in Germany too. Friends of ours have to pay 5 grand a year rent for the land *their* house is on. They own the house but not the land. What's worse is that the land is privately owned. There must be protections in place against the landowner coming in looking for the land back to do something else with it. But its a very strange system.
in theory here, you have to ask the landowner's permission to make any major changes to your house.

the government tried to abolish the whole system in the 70s but legally could not, so put in place the system where you can buy the ground rent out for about €1k; the seller has no choice in this, unless (AFAIK) there's less than 25 years left on the lease - the cost of the buyout becomes more expensive after that, and ratchets up the closer you get to the end date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back