Major Complaints Thread (5 Viewers)

Great. Dentists never mentioned it to me through.

My friend died in February aged 48.
She had a tumour in her neck.

All my points were about teeth though.
Going to give this person a plug.

Despite having problems which limited her life, she was as kind, caring and empathetic as anyone I have ever met.

A cup of tea, someone to chat to and make a fuss about was all she ever asked for.

She lost so much weight after being highly limited in what she could eat and then got the all clear and she got a new lease of life for 9 months.
But then the cancer came back with a vengeance.
No matter how sick she got she never stopped thinking of other people.

Think of the worst people you can think of - She 180° removed from them.
Major complaint that they are still here and she's gone.

Academics aren't doctors either.
BUT WE HAVE FEELINGS, NUKE!

Sure this is a great thread. Today we learned that neither Ph.D.s nor medical doctors are actually doctors. Someday I hope we'll find out what "doctor" really means
Only Doctor John is a doctor.

I remember chatting recently about how more people get braces as adults now. I can't remember the reason, cost or the technology or something. But it is a thing. Anyway.

I got my braces through the public dentist, early to mid 80s. Distinct memory of him being based in a portacabin behind the hospital.

Edit they were the push in ones rathe than train tracks.

I got my braces through the public dentist, early to mid 80s. Distinct memory of him being based in a portacabin behind the hospital.

Edit they were the push in ones rathe than train tracks.

yeah - the only kids I remember with those were the ones that really needed them, and could get them in the public system.

Did you have the head gear for night use?

I had the palate-stretcher yoke, then train tracks, this would have been when I was 10-13, around then. Regular visits to the public dentist at Greendale, where I also got caps on my front teeth after they ground into power on the uneven slabs of Scoil Íde’s yard a few years before. Those lasted till 2015 when they just fell out one day (in the middle of moving to Dundalk and all, so I didn’t need the stress) and I got them redone at Smiles in Blanch. That was not a comfortable experience.

I had a notion reading all this horror over the last couple of days: I would strongly consider voting for anyone who could believably deliver free dental care. I think it's a total win, when you consider how it affects physical and mental health.

There was a narrative on this thread that dental health was physical health. That is an overall lifestyle thing not just teeth alone - Heroin doesn't makes people's teeth fall out but being an addict for 20 years might.
But dental health is physical health. Your mouth is a part of your body. If you had a bad foot that would affect your mobility and from there your overall health. If you had bad teeth that would affect your diet and from there your overall health. Gum disease is linked to brains finding it harder to flush out proteins linked to alzheimers. Taking care of your teeth is an overall lifestyle thing and if you didn't do it for 20 years they might well fall out.

I am only referring to my own experience here.
But 700 - 800 to save one tooth was a rip off and dentist cleaning has made little difference for over a decade.
Dentist cleaning has made little visible difference maybe? The objective is to remove plaque before it can turn into tartar. Some people will find that that makes a difference to the whiteness of their teeth, and that's a nice side-effect, but it's not the promise or the goal. And you don't care about the cosmetic aspect anyway, so just enjoy the clean teeth and prolonged good oral health.

I remember chatting recently about how more people get braces as adults now. I can't remember the reason, cost or the technology or something. But it is a thing. Anyway.
Two big factors for adults I've talked to who have braced up in recent years were that you can have it all done in 6 months now, and masks! Several people took the mask mandate as an opportunity to get sneaky braces on while no-one could see their mouths.

But dental health is physical health. Your mouth is a part of your body. If you had a bad foot that would affect your mobility and from there your overall health. If you had bad teeth that would affect your diet and from there your overall health. Gum disease is linked to brains finding it harder to flush out proteins linked to alzheimers. Taking care of your teeth is an overall lifestyle thing and if you didn't do it for 20 years they might well fall out.
"Overall lifestyle" is what counts as I said before.
No one in my family has Alzheimer's they got cancer, strokes and heart attacks first.

I will stick with being vegan, not eating added sugar, no alcohol, no drugs and plenty of walking.
And yes, I do go to the dentist most years.
I have the same amount of teeth as 12 years ago so I must be doing something right.
Not sure why folks are so worked up about this.
I am not going to kiss any of yiz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back