Macbook Air (1 Viewer)

i have a dell eval model winging its way to me, with a 64GB solid state drive. it's €810 more expensive than the 120GB standard spindle drive on the website.
got this in today, and ran some benchmarks on it. my own machine, for comparison, is the exact same model (dell latitude D630 with a gig of ram) with a 5400rpm drive.

in case any of the techies are interested, the device is on an ultra ATA66 bus, instead of the ultra ATA133 bus my own machine uses.
it's not as blisteringly fast as i would have hoped; it averaged 40MB/s as opposed to 31MB/s a standard disk achieved. burst rate for the solid state one is less than half what it is for the standard, but access times are less than 2%.

no optical drive ?
and am i missing something, no Ethernet jack ?

good luck reinstalling your OS or any large software over wifi. wifi generally doesn't like large file transfers.

roll on mac fan boys buying the apple air optical drive when a regular usb burner will do the same job for half the money.

i was hoping the fact they managed to fit things back into into a 13inch laptop might mean they'll start making 12inch macbooks again..
the trackpad stuff looks great though, won't be long til everything has it and we'll all be updating our grandads myspace in mid air using holograms like yerman from the eircom ad

no optical drive ?
and am i missing something, no Ethernet jack ?

good luck reinstalling your OS or any large software over wifi. wifi generally doesn't like large file transfers.

roll on mac fan boys buying the apple air optical drive when a regular usb burner will do the same job for half the money.

For software installations, they are relying on the Remote Disc feature that allows you to access (via wifi) the DVD or CD drive of a nearby Mac or Windows PC by the MacBook Air SuperDrive.

it does imply that you need to have a second 'puter, but if your working on a Mac and using the Airbook to present ideas or work on the move it makes sense

as Antony pointed out people thought it was hilarious when the imacs had no floppy drive, and with the way the interflash is going we'll all be downloading appz and updatez straight off the netz any day now

22211943880bbf9db3edotm.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back