Macbook Air (1 Viewer)

Apple share price fell about 10% upon its announcement. They have spun up a little bit now though.

that might have something to do with how shit the american economy has been the last few days

It's for rich posers to surf the net on. And they'll buy it. Jesus people, get over it.

and dont forget those pesky executive types!

its looks amazing and lets face it its really cool, but who would actually think of buying one ahead of a macbook pro ?

when i saw this i went toatlly paranoia conspiracy theory crazy on it. first issue: no optical drive, so i assume that nobody wants to listen 'cds' or possibly import thier old collection into thier computer any more?? and obscure albums can fucking stay obscure. or nobody ever put thier holiday snaps on a Cd?? or thier college thesis for the love of fuck. then some of us idiots have our favourite film on a 'dvd' - well fuck that. then thiers the second issue. no fucking stereo speakers. i saw a radio in the pound shop today for 5.99 and it had stereo speakers. i could probably make stero speakers using tin foil and a heaphone socket then theres all that shit about wireless brilliance. that can fuck too, what that really means is one of two things: mac want you to sit in starbucks drinking rat poison in slow dose format while wirelessly sucking matchbox 20's silver i-cock, or they want you to wirelessly come aback into the store three wekks later wirelessly asking to buy a imac, because you jsut realised that in 2002 you fell for the iopd shit, and then you fell for the airheadbook and now you realised that you arent allowed to put anything in hard copy unless you buy an imac with a superdrive (this would be macspeak for a normal fucking dvd burner, 25 euro's or so) and 50 blank dvd's. oh how they will smile while you walk through thier door for the third time shuffling like a penguin bankruptly with an iphone in its rectum, wirelessly and tirelessly writing cheques and wirelssly being back two weeks later when you realise that your whole photo collection is in some weird mac format library thing and if you want to look at it without having to fork your eardrums with the mac starting up noise then you'll be buying an expensive bastard wireless printer sil vous plait. mac can fuck off. i'm searching ebay for a 5ft tall pentium three tower and a 25 inch crt monitor, which will not aske me to take out a contract on my photo's, music and films.

I can't disagree with all you've said but I do find it funny how if someone likes Apple stuff they are told "It's only a computer, get over it!". Does it apply when someone hates their stuff?

Ultimately, it is just a computer and you're under no obligation to buy it. I wouldn't buy a Macbook Air but I'm not going to waste a second of my life condemning someone who does make that mistake.

Executives who do a lot of traveling would definitely go for this one. Laptops are bulky and get heavy pretty quickly when you're carrying them.. Many Windows Based laptops going for weight reduction don't have an optical drive, USB externals work just fine, and Apple have a specially designed superdrive available as an option.

They'd be mad of course, the macbook would be a better option. But I've worked for (and with) quite a large number of people who will almost certainly justify getting their company to buy them one of these.

Executives who do a lot of traveling would definitely go for this one. Laptops are bulky and get heavy pretty quickly when you're carrying them.. Many Windows Based laptops going for weight reduction don't have an optical drive, USB externals work just fine, and Apple have a specially designed superdrive available as an option.

They'd be mad of course, the macbook would be a better option. But I've worked for (and with) quite a large number of people who will almost certainly justify getting their company to buy them one of these.

i see lots of business people on the train using laptops like the vaios that were out in 2004

1490full.jpg

1491full.jpg

here, it's no secret that I dunno a thing about computers. My Macbook is fucked. I need a new one, it was always shite, I'm not throwin good money after bad.

Here's what I need it for.

I need a computer that allows ya to :

use Word
use Audio editing
use my Ipod ( its an 80 gigger with only 30 gigs used cos me mac is so shit it crashes when i download-only 1GB memory)

Lads, what'll I buy.

Thanks

here, it's no secret that I dunno a thing about computers. My Macbook is fucked. I need a new one, it was always shite, I'm not throwin good money after bad.

Here's what I need it for.

I need a computer that allows ya to :

use Word
use Audio editing
use my Ipod ( its an 80 gigger with only 30 gigs used cos me mac is so shit it crashes when i download-only 1GB memory)

Lads, what'll I buy.

Thanks

get a macbook air ...... only joking!

you cant go wrong with the macbook pro's to be honest

True, but it's not as if the existing MacBooks are some sort of huge overweight monsters. They are pretty dinky as it is. If Apple really wanted to make a more portable laptop they should have gone back to the little yokes (dunno what they are called .. Mark has one) with really small screens. Either way though, it just seems a solution to a problem that wasn't there in the first place.

However, the 60GB solid state hard drive option is pretty interesting (though it is insanely expensive). An entire hard drive with no moving parts that is as fast as RAM ....... that sounds cool to me.

True, but it's not as if the existing MacBooks are some sort of huge overweight monsters. They are pretty dinky as it is. If Apple really wanted to make a more portable laptop they should have gone back to the little yokes (dunno what they are called .. Mark has one) with really small screens. Either way though, it just seems a solution to a problem that wasn't there in the first place.

However, the 60GB solid state hard drive option is pretty interesting (though it is insanely expensive). An entire hard drive with no moving parts that is as fast as RAM ....... that sounds cool to me.

Agreed. The only way the Air would be in any way appealing would be if it was around half the price it is now.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm not suggesting that the Macbook Air is the sensible option... but for a lot of these guys it's about the look and having the 'sexiest' new technology, especially if it is neither the best nor the most economical.

The solid state drive is pretty cool. Hope we will see more of them. Makes a lot of sense for a portable device like a laptop.

as much as i dont see the point of this air thing, i guess the bottom line is that apple are at least trying to introduce something new into the market.
also flash solid state hard drives are where the future lies. cant wait for em to breakthrough and drop in price.

i have a dell eval model winging its way to me, with a 64GB solid state drive. it's €810 more expensive than the 120GB standard spindle drive on the website.

as much as i dont see the point of this air thing, i guess the bottom line is that apple are at least trying to introduce something new into the market.
also flash solid state hard drives are where the future lies. cant wait for em to breakthrough and drop in price.

i'm not quite sure what is new?

there are loads of slim laptops on the market. even the blackberry suits mobile working.

DELL offers solid state since early last year (i think)

the only new thing I can see with the air is that you need another mac or PC to install anything.

They have downgraded the laptop to a smart-phone. minus the phone.

or as someone else said to me "too expensive for the genral consumer to weak for the pro"

New York (NY) - Open minded people are more likely to purchase a Mac, according to a new survey released by Mindset Media. The company interviewed 7500 people and found that liberal thinkers were 60 percent more likely to buy a Mac. These same people were also less modest and more sure of their own superiority than the rest of the population.
Mindset Media places these "enlightened" people into a category called "Opennes 5's" folks. People in that category are also more "receptive to their own inner feelings and may feel both happiness and unhappiness more intensely than others."
Sarah Welch, COO and co-founder of Mindset Media, said, "For the first time, marketers with brands that have distinctive Mindset Profiles, like Apple, can directly reach the people with the personality and attitudes that love what they sell."
Mindset Media isn't disclosing the methodology used in the survey, so PC owners may still have a chance. Maybe I should plunk down $3,000+ for one of those new Macbook Airs and get in touch with my inner self.

Jesus H Titty Christ, i'm ashamed to own a Mac after reading that shite.

or a USB cd-rom drive.

Unlike most slim notebooks (like the Viao above) it will can also use the media drive of neighbouring networked PC's or Macs.

this is true.

maybe i'm just not seeing the network potential.

I want my product to do everything and i'm not into peripherals i.e. currently my laptop is my tv, radio, dvd player, cd-player, mp3 player, office, library, diary, games console, instant messenger, photo lab, sms messenger and when I figure out how to use skype my phone.

i'm not quite sure what is new?

Yeah have to agree. Uless you go for the solid state HD (which like it has been said Dell done a year ago) you're lumped with a 4200rpm 1.8 piece of crap from a 1st gen iPod, Mono Speakers, No firewire, 1usb, integrated (so non-upgradeable) RAM and a battery you cant remove without sending your laptop off to apple. Apart from the 802.11n (again not exactly innovative) This is a step back in computing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back