Love/Hate (1 Viewer)

Suitcase was an obvious allusion to real life suitcase shenanigans no?

yeah, that poor fucker had his head cut off though.

With the hindsight of having seen the whole series, it was average at best. It feels like it should only be about half-way through in terms of how underdeveloped some of the storylines are.

The copper thing was very disappointing. They build and build and build and everything seemed to go right for them from the off, then they have one setback and the season ends. Compare that to a single episode of, say, The Wire, where they'll have 10 times more setbacks than not, but have to get back up on the horse.

And some gripes;

- Fran's teeth. He had teeth, then he had no teeth, then he had teeth, then none again. I could pass that off as his maybe having gotten false teeth, but they even drew attention to it with nidge mentioning his 'no teeth'.

- The dentist dying scene. His hands were free. It was a plastic bag. Would one's instict not be to use your hands that are free to rip the bag? Like, I know they'd have killed him some other way, but we're talking instincts here.

My main disappointment is that, though I have no major issue with any single episode as such, there wasn't really enough that happened for this to constitute being a whole season of a show. Maybe hes breaking from convention, but to me it ended unsatisfactorily. There will be a next season and you can't not see some of the loose ends being tied up there, but thats not really good enough.

Wasn't it season 2 where we were complaining that it was about 2 episodes too long? This season was abuot 6 episodes too short.

Yeah!

Why did'nt he just rip the bag?!

Aww thats a major boo boo

How come nobody's talking about the rhino in last night's episode

576641_10202658772457481_1911061095_n.jpg

- Fran's teeth. He had teeth, then he had no teeth, then he had teeth, then none again. I could pass that off as his maybe having gotten false teeth, but they even drew attention to it with nidge mentioning his 'no teeth'.

This bugged me too but I'm happy he's not dead so I get more Fran next season. Probably in a full on war with Nidge. He'll finally have to find out about Linda and the pipe bomb. As for the dentist, I could easily dismiss the plastic bag bit because he was an idiot.

A disappointing finale for sure; too many strands left hanging and more questions than answers to contend with.

Why did Husky Boy have to be killed?
How come Nidge and Fran were back to being buddies again at the end (if they were)
What happened to both of their threats against each other?
What was all that with Fran killing the dentist and trying to fuck up Nidge's importation plan? (I know it was nixed by Tommy, but still)
What exactly was in the truck's container?
Was there absolutely nothing they could get Nidge on?

Maybe the answers to all these questions were very apparent and I just nodded off.
Also the jittery, zoom in, zoom out, wobbly speed up/slow down camera moves at the start did me fucking bonce in. What is this, MTV?

Rant over - the one saving grace of this Season for me was the reintroduction of "game ball" into the vernacular, courtesy of Franno, who really got all the best lines.
So long LH me oul flower.

Why did Husky Boy have to be killed? - He was instrumental in the firebombing if Fran's missus and is the only person who knows that Nidge was involved.

How come Nidge and Fran were back to being buddies again at the end (if they were) - Bad writing, but also I suppose Nidge doesn't know he's involved with the dentist's disappearance and probably just thinks the dentist has scarpered because the cops were on to him. Nidge is used to dealing with a volatile Fran so any arguments, threats etc. might just be SOP.

What happened to both of their threats against each other? - Dunno

What was all that with Fran killing the dentist and trying to fuck up Nidge's importation plan? (I know it was nixed by Tommy, but still)
Because Nidge was being coy Fran felt Nidge was out to burn him, he was trying to get information from the doctor so he could make sure he got what he saw as his fair share. He didn't intend to kill the doctor until the cops turned up it seems, although that could have been a bit clearer. His behaviour doesn't even really need to make sense as they've neon-signed that he is losing the run of himself through recent episodes.

Lidocaine. Was it indicated the container carried anything else?

Was there absolutely nothing they could get Nidge on? - More I think what they had on the bigger crime was too circumstantial, patchily proven to guarantee the case would stick but that could have been explained better. They show the cops saying (I think more than once) Nidge has to be caught redhanded with the shipment or he can deny knowledge, responsibility. One unfortunate aspect is they put a bug in his car then promptly never mentioned it ever again. In a real world setting I have no idea whether the evidence that is shown would be enough to convict. I suspect it might be, although maybe the fact that what was imported is legal for the dentist to handle would muddy the waters a bit.

What I want to know, what was the point of the gym scenes? Was this just indicating there's a ready market for Lidocaine? Seemed a tad pointless.

Why did Husky Boy have to be killed? - He was instrumental in the firebombing if Fran's missus and is the only person who knows that Nidge was involved.

How come Nidge and Fran were back to being buddies again at the end (if they were) - Bad writing, but also I suppose Nidge doesn't know he's involved with the dentist's disappearance and probably just thinks the dentist has scarpered because the cops were on to him. Nidge is used to dealing with a volatile Fran so any arguments, threats etc. might just be SOP.

What happened to both of their threats against each other? - Dunno

Because Nidge was being coy Fran felt Nidge was out to burn him, he was trying to get information from the doctor so he could make sure he got what he saw as his fair share. He didn't intend to kill the doctor until the cops turned up it seems, although that could have been a bit clearer. His behaviour doesn't even really need to make sense as they've neon-signed that he is losing the run of himself through recent episodes.

Lidocaine. Was it indicated the container carried anything else?

Was there absolutely nothing they could get Nidge on? - More I think what they had on the bigger crime was too circumstantial, patchily proven to guarantee the case would stick but that could have been explained better. They show the cops saying (I think more than once) Nidge has to be caught redhanded with the shipment or he can deny knowledge, responsibility. One unfortunate aspect is they put a bug in his car then promptly never mentioned it ever again. In a real world setting I have no idea whether the evidence that is shown would be enough to convict. I suspect it might be, although maybe the fact that what was imported is legal for the dentist to handle would muddy the waters a bit.

What I want to know, what was the point of the gym scenes? Was this just indicating there's a ready market for Lidocaine? Seemed a tad pointless.
Cheers for the clarity; I did indicate that I felt I'd nodded off for most of this season. A finale let down by poor writing, scrappy storytelling and a cop-out ending.
Some folk in work annoyed about the "glamorisation" (sp? is that a word?) of Nidge in those final scenes. Any thoughts? I just thought they were a bit crap.

Dentist plotline made no sense in a lot of ways.

Nidge starts the season paranoid that the cops are watching him. He detects the cop working as a bouncer. He's of the hyper-cautious mindset. When the dentist falls into his purview he has the somewhat clever idea of using him as a legit importer for a drug that can then be sold on the street.

Following through on this logic, Nidge should have little to nothing to do with the dude unless absolutely necessary. The point is meant to be the dentist is invisible, a legit conduit. In light of knowing the police are breathing down his neck why does he do everything to signal to all and sundry that he is now using the dentist? He lets the dentist hang out on a tab at the brothel, he has Fran visit him thrice a day. I know part of the reasons criminals get caught is because they think they're smarter than they are but really Nidge's behaviour in this season doesn't add up for a purported underworld kingpin. Even his handling of the gun dealer guy is just sloppy, and at odds with the way we've seen Nidge deal with problems before.

Terrible show is terrible.

I assume it's two things. Nidge was gonna get rid of him anyway at some point and having failed to succeed in helping Nidge kill the gun dealer he was no longer of any use to Nidge and the gang. I didn't watch close enough but it may also have been indicated somewhere along the line that the young fella still had Nidge in his sights.

I assume it's two things. Nidge was gonna get rid of him anyway at some point and having failed to succeed in helping Nidge kill the gun dealer he was no longer of any use to Nidge and the gang. I didn't watch close enough but it may also have been indicated somewhere along the line that the young fella still had Nidge in his sights.

Cruel ol' business Crimeland

I really didn't like the way they handled the gun dealer subplot, nor for that matter how they just dealt with the IRA assassin woman by having her have a breakdown. She was a strong, interesting female character and they just didn't seem to know what to do with her. It's a real shame.

For that matter, why did the young fella let Nidge et al off the hook after they kidnapped him? He's the sorta kid who hates cops probably but his motive for doing so is unclear to me. It was a really crap, false cliffhanger thing and completely implausible the guards would have been so blasé about the whole thing.

Is the show badly scripted or were whole chunks of narrative discarded during editing? Some of the shitness of the show could be dealt with with very short explanatory scenes.

Cruel ol' business Crimeland

Yep, the oneupmanship of the two kids too. The Nidge kid was always acting cool and superior to his friend. Even said an episode back, "I'd clip anyone, even you if they told me to, no bother" or something along those lines. Plus the BMX scene where he was making fun at his expense. I assume Nidge got rid of him because it was botched and didn't want word to get out. He was no longer needed. Even if not botched, kid was good as dead after it was done for trying to clip Nidge in the first place. He gave him a pass for not snitching because he could serve a purpose... for a short while.

Last edited:
Yep, the oneupmanship of the two kids too. The Nidge kid was always acting cool and superior to his friend. Even said an episode back, "I'd clip anyone, even you if they told me to, no bother" or something along those lines. Plus the BMX scene where he was making fun at his expense. I assume Nidge got rid of him because it was botched and didn't want word to get out. He was no longer needed. Even if not botched, kid was good as dead after it was done for trying to clip Nidge in the first place. He gave him a pass for not snitching because he could serve a purpose... for a short while.
A lad in work was saying the young lad got clipped coz he was too involved with Nidge in trying to kill the pipe bomb maker, Patrick; and Nidge being hyper-paranoid wanted him taken out, coz he knew too much presumably. None of which made any sense to me when watching the episode. I thought it had started earlier than usual and I'd missed about 20 mins. Badly plotted, badly written. Your audience should know what the fuck is going on by your finale, not still be asking questions!
Shame coz this season started very well.

A lad in work was saying the young lad got clipped coz he was too involved with Nidge in trying to kill the pipe bomb maker, Patrick; and Nidge being hyper-paranoid wanted him taken out, coz he knew too much presumably. None of which made any sense to me when watching the episode. I thought it had started earlier than usual and I'd missed about 20 mins. Badly plotted, badly written. Your audience should know what the fuck is going on by your finale, not still be asking questions!
Shame coz this season started very well.

Yeah, as in botched and he knew too much for word to get out, especially with his friend he was always with, which Nidge questioned. Kid was going to die anyway but Nidge found a use for him briefly because he didn't rat him out to the cops about being kidnapped. Kid who shot him will die too next season no doubt. I don't think the show is badly written, it just leaves the audience to fill in some gaps. I appreciate it. I didn't need to see the Danny die. Of course he was dead. They shot him in the knees in the middle of nowhere and took his phone. Dude was going to belled to death. It was kind of poetic justice since this all started with him shooting Aido in the knee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back