• Watchers 2

egg_

nerd/hippy
Supporter
Since 1999
Where dogs wear hats and birds fly backwards
Here's what I want to be able do:

- record a loop and play over it
- build up a groove by overdubbing loops on loops (and for the groove to be a loop itself)
- switch to a different loop when I get to a different bit of the song (the chorus, say), without having to use my hands

Can an RC-20 do that?

- build up a groove by overdubbing loops on loops (and for the groove to be a loop itself)
- switch to a different loop when I get to a different bit of the song (the chorus, say), without having to use my hands

Can an RC-20 do that?

when ya find out will ya let me know, been buggin me too, suppose I coooouuuuulllldddd read the manual but it looks confusing

Can an RC-20 do that?

no

people do sometimes use two loopstations in parallel to do this kind of thing, or a loopstation combined with a line-6 delay, but the mental effort involved in doing something like that is too much for me

people do sometimes use two loopstations in parallel to do this kind of thing, or a loopstation combined with a line-6 delay, but the mental effort involved in doing something like that is too much for me

I do something similar with my dd-20 on some songs, it's not really great as a looper, it just does sound on sound and if you turn off the loop then you lose it but I'll record a short phrase then drop it onto the RC-20 while I'm playing over it. It only really work for drones and background noises where it doesn't matter if it syncs up with the main phrase or not.

you can use an rc-50. even an rc 20xl will do the job.

with the rc-20 you can get a boss pedal switcher to switch between the loops. you can also store 12 loops to the memory.

thats exactly what you need no?

But I think theres a catch with the RC-20XL. Once you switch to a different loop, for the chorus say, you'll loose all that overdubbed recording you did on the other loop, unless you bend down and press the two little buttons (with your hands) to permanently save the loop recording on the first loop before you switch loops. I think I'm correct with this, will check tonight.
If you hit stop/playback foot pedal on the first loop while you're playing it will play away for you but it isn't recorded to memory. Only if you press the two little buttons combo to save will it be saved to memory allowing you to switch to another loop, jam on that and then switch back to the first saved loop afterwards. If you don't mind losing the first loop then you're okay.
Say RC-50 makes this much easier and looks like has better AD-DA conversion.

But I think theres a catch with the RC-20XL. Once you switch to a different loop, for the chorus say, you'll loose all that overdubbed recording you did on the other loop, unless you bend down and press the two little buttons (with your hands) to permanently save the loop recording on the first loop before you switch loops. I think I'm correct with this, will check tonight.
If you hit stop/playback foot pedal on the first loop while you're playing it will play away for you but it isn't recorded to memory. Only if you press the two little buttons combo to save will it be saved to memory allowing you to switch to another loop, jam on that and then switch back to the first saved loop afterwards. If you don't mind losing the first loop then you're okay.
Say RC-50 makes this much easier and looks like has better AD-DA conversion.
correct.

Correcto mundo.
If you don't reach down with your hands and hit the save button twice then if you switch loops with a plugged in foot switch the original loop is lost. Also found the RC-20 wont allow you to switch to blank loops in memory using a foot switch so if you're original loop is blank cause you didn't save to it then you can't switch back to it! it will skip over the blank loop to the next loop it finds?
So it has its flaws, maybe fixed in the RC-50.
Saw a guy called Station House or Station Master once upon a time in the Spiegel tent who used a Boomerang Phrase Sampler. He was doing all instrumental stuff overdubbing as he went, pretty cool.
Maybe that would be more suited to your needs? 320 euros on ebay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back