Looking for Riot Grrl/female punk/hardcore/garage rock type bands (1 Viewer)

Yes, but it's not. The most frustrating thing is when people act like pretending like everything is okay, we don't have a problem is the only way forward and if anyone tries to intervene they're the real "sexists" or some shite. If you're seriously going to push that there's not much I can do as I think it's a pretty rotten and dishonest position to take.

Gender balance of attendance, or people in bands? The fact that people aren't even able to come up with names here suggests otherwise.

There is a problem here. This is the typical sort of shite people always get when they actually try to deal with it, as they view any intervention as putting up these barriers which already clearly exist. I see it a lot especially with LGBT issues and the like.

I'd ask you what you propose, but apparently you're pretty happy with almost no female bands and that it's at least better than it was 20 years ago(which I'm not sure it was).

i never once mentioned i though it was "sexist" stop trying to read between the lines...i am a supporter of such events and have in the past played them my self.see earlier in the thread where i asked for some direction on what type of bands you were after and then suggested some. trying to help beleive it or not.

i simply think if a woman musican doesn't want to be part of it its her choice and it doesn't make her selfish as you tryed to imply. i didn't push any anti your gig agenda at all.

also i never said i was happy with no female punk bands( actually there is loads in the punks scene) i simply said there was a better balance at the moment(which is great to see) than other times i remember.i never said it was ideal or i was happy for it to simply stay like that.

If people did just look at them as "musicians", and there were no barriers, there would be n equal amount of male and female musicians. Do you seriously believe that unless there are legal restrictions there are no barriers?

Talking about sexism always results in vast wads of intellectual dishonesty or self delusion though, which is why it's such an uncomfortable subject.

What makes you think there would be equal number of male and female? I suppose punk rock in Ireland is racist too, maybe you should put on a gig with only bands that have black members in it. How many of those do you know?

I didn't say there are no barriers just that I find it hard to think of all the bands with girls in them that I know because I don't keep a list of them handy so that i can segregate them out.

What makes you think there would be equal number of male and female? I suppose punk rock in Ireland is racist too, maybe you should put on a gig with only bands that have black members in it. How many of those do you know?

I didn't say there are no barriers just that I find it hard to think of all the bands with girls in them that I know because I don't keep a list of them handy so that i can segregate them out.

Well, maybe you have to ask why there aren't more black people in bands? At least there, there's sort of a cultural thing that has a slightly more valid history than subtexts that equate to "girls can't play guitar". But it does seem wrong that a lot of black dudes are still stereotyped into doing hip hop rather rock(nothing wrong with hip hop of course - in fact I'm looking at some female hip hop artists for Femfest, just that there's an element of if you're x, you do y, which caused a big argument in the other thread).

I'd have no problem with a POC oriented rock event either. In fact I'm going to try and specifically feature POC if possible in Femfest since this intersectionality is often overlooked by feminism.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back