Looking for info on old Irish goth bands and clubs (1 Viewer)

crumb said:
There also was:
The Summer House- (they had a track on a comet compilation) and
Tower of Bable-(featuring Paul Lacey sound engineer)
Guernica -were more like early New Order, they were great but definitely not a goth band check out deep sea diving
Cold- semi goth played Joy Division covers

That's all I can think of for now.

Closet goth!

Hi again.

I realise I was a bit unclear last night, I know all about the Tower because I've been to almost all the Tower's since '95 and I know Eric the dj well. Plus all the clubs since. If you want to know what clubs existed since '99 have a look at : http://ns.gothic.ie/sites/

And the guy who suggested Dominion, ehm you didn't really read my post because I _DJ_ there as STAFF and I've been doing so for the past 6 yrs.. Plus Greg who's my collegue is English and Conor is a bit younger and didn't gig as much as I did, and according to them I'm the fountain of all goth knowledge..

Btw blonde Jason isn't a goth. He isn't into all of that. I know his girlfriend well.

But without pissing off the other half the population here, - what I'm looking for in clubs is pre all '92, thank you very much which rules out pretty much posts from anyone under 30.
So it's ye farters I need the info from..

In otherwords info on the Source, Gotham City, Olympic, Fetish, in respect of dj's, dates they ran from etc etc. Plus flyers on it. I went to the Grove, the Olympic and Fetish myself but didn't get a flyer from the Olympic.

Did clubs that existed here before that? I only know of the Source being the first but surely that couldn't be right, if Goth's been around since '81. There has to have been clubs that were around prior to The Source which was around what '87-88/89 right?

For a bit of history I organised clubs myself in '92 in McGonagles under Indie/Gathering and then later as Badlands which the dj's went onto from Badlands in Mulligans (93) and Badlands in Hacienda '95. If anyone has flyers from them, yes I was the promoter along with an ex.

I'm also looking info on pubs. I went to Bartley Dunnes, William Tell, South William and Bruxelles. Anyone here remember the Daniel Ash poster! :)

Also info on the Periot club. I had heard it was a great hang out, so dropped in the early 90's but everytime I went there wasn't a goff to be seen. Also anyone remember the Abbey Mall?

Ta for the guys on for TOB, TGHCM - those two I know of. What happened to Firewater Creed? Who was in it other than Mark Lawlor? Ditto with Stone Pony? Is he still working in Freebirds? I haven't dropped into there in years. And ditto with Candy Apple Red.

I hadn't heard of Cold, The Summer House, Guernica, thanks guys. I'd appreciate any info on these, like members, releases, demo's, track lists, flyers, photos...

Any other bands?! I know of Pulse and the lads who were in it, and who I'll be pumping for info soon, and I found recently of Jam Jar Jail who I saw in the Baggot in '89/90 if I'm not very much mistaken.

Anyone know what band Ronan Harris of VNV Nation was in? I do know that he played in the Olympic 'cause he told a friend of mine.. but never told her the name of the band, the bold thing!

I'm limited in my knowledge of Byron other than a Dave Roberts on vocals, Brian Cooper on bass/drum machine and a Julius? on guitar and that they had a demo called Red Reflection.
An ex of mine's buddy was in Babylon the Bride, so I got them covered. I saw them in Barnstormers (da Capel St one) and Charlies. They were very good, and it was a pity that they split.

I also saw the Dreads from Drogheda in the Rockgarden in '92. Did anyone else see them? Any pictures? Who was in the band? What happened to them?

Oh and also Cherryblossom. Did anyever see these guys? I saw them play in McGonagles in '89. I have no info about them.

I believe CWN have a compilation or reissue coming out. I used to love them!

Like I was saying I'm going to compile all of this plus what I get from others onto a website, and scanned photos of flyers, demo's, flyers etc will make the difference between a crappy info site and a real good one and the latter is what I want, to give Mick Mercer a run for his money!

Thanks Naplam. I'll email Velvetron Paul as I didn't realise the drummer was in Stigmata Martyr. I knew he was in bands before but not which one's. The pics of MBV in the Clarendon would be brill.

Btw if ye want to post or email me off board that's fine too.

Oh and guys I should have said, I'm not limiting this to just goff bands. I'm including the industrial and dark indie too, as long as they are Irish! Which includes Whipping Boy (saw these in the Rockgarden in '91), Chimera and Power of Dreams who supported the Mish in SFX '90 and the Pixies in '91.

Did anyone else go to the Mish gig in SFX in '90? Anyone else see both those bands. Weren't the WB the bees knees?! I used to want to er snog Fergal!

Thanks
Orla

crumb said:
This might be useful if not just for goth bands. some one posted it before

http://www.angelfire.com/indie/irish_punk_wave/t.html

I've already emailed him and it was Mike himself who told me to post to ye!

Btw Avernus "old farters" is apparently a term used internet land for those over 30 especially if one is in a music scene. I've been called one myself..

Though have to say I'm not that old, but I am the wrong side of 30!

Orla

aurnia said:
I'm also looking info on pubs. I went to Bartley Dunnes, William Tell, South William and Bruxelles. Anyone here remember the Daniel Ash poster! :)

Woa, never saw the poster but didn't they have a framed wooden Love And Rockets thingy? Criminally neglected band this side of the U.S. ocean.

portrid said:
Woa, never saw the poster but didn't they have a framed wooden Love And Rockets thingy? Criminally neglected band this side of the U.S. ocean.

That was the Daniel Ash poster (at least I'm nearly 100% it was a poster) circa Love And Rockets which was framed, and it was placed on the wall beside the bar, on the right hand side, up near the toilets.

For those that are to young to remember, the bar changed position a few years ago Absolutely a very neglected band. One of my fav's along with Bauhaus.

You didn't go to the Bauhaus re-union gig in '98 did you? I was at both gigs in the Brixton academy. Plus did anyone go to the David J gigs a few years back? He played a secret gig in the Temple Pub Dorset St and also in Club Mono, which is now the Village.

Orla

You're bringing me back.. i was in a band that played a rake of gigs with house of byron (dave robinson not roberts on vocals). Mark, from tower of babel/stone pony hasn't worked in freebird in years. John dee (who used to work there and was in city discs for a while) was good buddies with House of Byron, he'd have a load of info. I have some tapes from around then. sides may have had a goth night. mail me and i can try and hook you up with some folks from then
[email protected]
aurnia said:
Hi again.

Btw blonde Jason isn't a goth. He isn't into all of that. I know his girlfriend well.

But without pissing off the other half the population here, - what I'm looking for in clubs is pre all '92, thank you very much which rules out pretty much posts from anyone under 30.
So it's ye farters I need the info from..

In otherwords info on the Source, Gotham City, Olympic, Fetish, in respect of dj's, dates they ran from etc etc. Plus flyers on it. I went to the Grove, the Olympic and Fetish myself but didn't get a flyer from the Olympic.

Did clubs that existed here before that? I only know of the Source being the first but surely that couldn't be right, if Goth's been around since '81. There has to have been clubs that were around prior to The Source which was around what '87-88/89 right?

Also info on the Periot club. I had heard it was a great hang out, so dropped in the early 90's but everytime I went there wasn't a goff to be seen. Also anyone remember the Abbey Mall?

Ta for the guys on for TOB, TGHCM - those two I know of. What happened to Firewater Creed? Who was in it other than Mark Lawlor? Ditto with Stone Pony? Is he still working in Freebirds? I haven't dropped into there in years. And ditto with Candy Apple Red.

I hadn't heard of Cold, The Summer House, Guernica, thanks guys. I'd appreciate any info on these, like members, releases, demo's, track lists, flyers, photos...

I'm limited in my knowledge of Byron other than a Dave Roberts on vocals, Brian Cooper on bass/drum machine and a Julius? on guitar and that they had a demo called Red Reflection.
An ex of mine's buddy was in Babylon the Bride, so I got them covered. I saw them in Barnstormers (da Capel St one) and Charlies. They were very good, and it was a pity that they split.

GrRrrrR said:
I think you're exactly right there, terence.
Why not talk to that Goth guy who's had the same haircut for 12 years (shaved sides, long at the back) that was actually born in Fibbers. He'd probably know a thing or two about a thing or two.

saw that guy in Dame St last week - long black coat?
he looks like he did in 1991.

I saw Whipping Boy about ten times in the 1989-92 period. In the Underground on a few occasions. No pics sadly, although my mate Mick may have some.
The Rock Garden gig saw them give out the 7" promos of Buffalo/Favourite Sister. Nabbed two. Submarine was due a few weeks later.

The Garden Hasn't Changed Much - takes me back. Can't remember where but I definitely saw them play.

Saw Power of Dreams a few times.
Into Paradise were pretty dark. Played McGonagles with Whipping Boy and Candy Apple Red. Had a row on stage which wasn't pleasant.

Clubs I frequented in that period were mainly Panic (Thurs) and Sonic Boom (Sat) in McGonagles.

nlgbbbblth said:
I saw Whipping Boy about ten times in the 1989-92 period. In the Underground on a few occasions. No pics sadly, although my mate Mick may have some.
The Rock Garden gig saw them give out the 7" promos of Buffalo/Favourite Sister. Nabbed two. Submarine was due a few weeks later.

The Garden Hasn't Changed Much - takes me back. Can't remember where but I definitely saw them play.

Saw Power of Dreams a few times.
Into Paradise were pretty dark. Played McGonagles with Whipping Boy and Candy Apple Red. Had a row on stage which wasn't pleasant.

Clubs I frequented in that period were mainly Panic (Thurs) and Sonic Boom (Sat) in McGonagles.

If you have pics, that will be excellent. I used to love Into Paradise too!!!
I didn't get to see Candy Apple Red. I remember they played in the Rock Garden but I didn't go for some reason. I'm regretting it now and especially as an ex of mine went. He was mad into ToB and the off shoots.

As for TGHCM. I only got told about them yesterday or the day before. I friend on iegoth emailed me some pics that he scanned in, unfortunately they are slides. He's now looking to buy a scanner with a slide/neg capacity..

But you're bringing me back on the Panic and Sonic Boom. Yikes! I couldn't remember the names of the clubs as I neglected to take any fliers home and I've been racking my brains for a few days on it.

I do have a flyer from Fetish which was on a Wed night and the two clubs I ran took over that slot on a once off basis, in Mar '92 )Indie/goth gathering aka In God's Own Medicine (2 names!) and Nov '92 (Badlands). The dj's were Andy Martin and Jethro aka Jed aka Patrick Doyle respectively.

Jed used to dj on Radioactive 101. Anyone remember them? Dekko was the main man. Jed and a friend Dave Brennan aka Armand aka SuperDave decided to do the Badlands in Mulligans with the Radioactive crowd behind them.

The club died a death in Oct (ish) of '93 (I'm fuzzy on the exact details as I stopped going for a few reasons but Dave resurfaced it with an other Dave Murphy in the Hacienda in '95. This was around the time that the Tower started.

Actually was there another club going between '93 and '95. Other than the indus club Furnace that Sinead posted to me earlier was there any more? I had at the time took a break goff clubbing until '95. I haven't heard of any from all my contacts and friends. I think pubbing was the thing to be doing other than going to the then started Fibbers.

Btw anyone remember what the club in Fibbers used to be called in the late 80's?! Got my sins I do :)

nlgbbbblth said:
Their "Heads" album (cassette only release) was pure brilliant, and only 2.50 at the time (1990)
I saw them in The Underground in 1988. And McGonagles in late '87 with The Foremen.

nlgbbbblth said:

I saw them have a few rows, but the worst one was when the bassist dropped her bass
onto the stage, and just walked off, leaving the singer to apologise to the audience.

They used to do a great cover of Magazine's "Shot By Both Sides".

nlgbbbblth said:
I DJed on Radioactive too, 1994-95. DJ Spiv.
Good buzz

Cool!!!!!
I probably listened to you!

The lads went under Jethro and Armand.. and it was '92-'93! Jed's girlfriend Kaz also dj'd on the station as did Lolo. That radiostation was great but the reception could be bleedin' iffy at times. I then started to listen to Alice's Restaurant which then became XFM, and then Phantom though nowadays I don't listen to the radio much.

I know Lolo, Bren and Mark too. Bren and Mark were the one's that were in Pulse with the two Jeff's. And one of those Jeff's was the boyfriend of a girl Catherine that went to the same college as me - Kevin St!

Btw had a look at yer profile. You're from Newbridge right? Did you know a Danny from Naas? He was a big Cult fan and went to my clubs and then the other Badlands. He was in a band too but I can't remember their name..

I run into him every so often at gigs, and he's been down to Dominion on the odd occassion. I last saw him at the Wedding Present gig in Feb. Would love to get in touch with him over the band he was in.

O

nlgbbbblth said:
ah now, I hail from New Ross.
I only moved to Newbridge in 2003. Used live in Dublin for years before that.

If you are from New Ross, then do you know Brendan North?. He was a big MBV fan. I went to college with him.

aurnia said:
If you are from New Ross, then do you know Brendan North?. He was a big MBV fan. I went to college with him.

spooky
Brendan aka Benny is a good friend of mine. Have known him for over 20 years. He lives in Kildare town now. I still see him every few weeks. I was in UCD that era too, 92-95 Arts, the works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back