• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Looking for info on old Irish goth bands and clubs

Thread starter #1

aurnia

New Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2005
Messages
51
Location
Dublin
Website
www.myspace.com
Hi all

I was recommended to post here. I'm researching about old Irish goth bands (North and South of the Border) that gigged, demo'd etc during the 80's to the 90's, though era is not specific.

I'm a dj for Dominion goth club http://dominion.gothic.ie/ but also an "old farter", ie over 30!

Anyhow I'm on an email list iegoth http://groups.yahoo.com/group/iegoth/ and a thread came up about old bands. Now I tried to research way back in '99 and again in '01 but only got so far which wasn't too far at the time due to the lack of knowledge available.

So I'm hoping that there's a few other old farters out there that can help. Looking for anything on old bands, such as The Flesh Temple, Bouquet of Blue Roses, Stigmata Martyr which are bands I was just told about but have no info on. I'm also iffy on the details of House Of Byron.

Any help would be great. Plus if there's bands that I haven't mentioned, that would be brill too. I know the usual suspects, is VPrunes and it's off shoots, This Burning Effigy etc..

Pics also of bands, flyers of gigs, flyers of clubs is also appreciated, as is info from said clubs. I only went to the Grove, Olympic and Fetish and then organised my own clubs in McGonagles - the 2nd of which was the first Badlands.

The ulimate goal of this will be to develop a website to the forgotten goth of yore and then link it to the today stuff.

Thanks
Orla
 

Anthony

Well-Known Member
Supporter
Joined
Nov 7, 2000
Messages
15,642
Location
Vanav
Website
www.groov.ie
Clubs: Fusion in the 13th Floor on O'Connell Street was a bit Gothy. I think there was a pure goth club there as well though. Maybe called The Temple.
 

RED(tape)MENACE

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2000
Messages
6,529
Website
www.myspace.com
Anthony said:
Clubs: Fusion in the 13th Floor on O'Connell Street was a bit Gothy. I think there was a pure goth club there as well though. Maybe called The Temple.
I think you're exactly right there, terence.
Why not talk to that Goth guy who's had the same haircut for 12 years (shaved sides, long at the back) that was actually born in Fibbers. He'd probably know a thing or two about a thing or two.
 

Thayl

Active Member
Joined
Nov 15, 1999
Messages
476
GrRrrrR said:
Why not talk to that Goth guy who's had the same haircut for 12 years (shaved sides, long at the back) that was actually born in Fibbers. He'd probably know a thing or two about a thing or two.
That guy!!! Me and my fellow Fibber going posse just to call him "the King Goth" when we went to Fibbers, back in 1996. And he's had the same haircut and clothes ever since, I saw him walking down Dame St. two Saturdays ago! I binned my purple combats years ago......
 

avernus

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2001
Messages
10,397
Location
misery
GrRrrrR said:
I think you're exactly right there, terence.
Why not talk to that Goth guy who's had the same haircut for 12 years (shaved sides, long at the back) that was actually born in Fibbers. He'd probably know a thing or two about a thing or two.
that guy with the black contacts? he's largely terrifying looking.
 

billygannon

Well-Known Member
Contributor
Joined
Apr 7, 2001
Messages
13,195
Location
Dublin
GrRrrrR said:
I think you're exactly right there, terence.
Why not talk to that Goth guy who's had the same haircut for 12 years (shaved sides, long at the back) that was actually born in Fibbers. He'd probably know a thing or two about a thing or two.
That'd be Jason. Squack's best mate goes out with him. He's a pretty successful graphic designer/software-type thingymejig. He may know stuff about old Goth clubs, but probably not the best to talk to about it.
Dominion folk are the best option I suppose.

Or you could summon up Satan or one of his legion of devils. They could have some idea.
 

billygannon

Well-Known Member
Contributor
Joined
Apr 7, 2001
Messages
13,195
Location
Dublin
avernus said:
that guy with the black contacts? he's largely terrifying looking.
Oh! He's not that scary. He is when armed to the teeth with machetes and maces and balls'n'chains, but generally he's into playing the Playstation, listening to music and the card-game, Canasta.
 

avernus

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2001
Messages
10,397
Location
misery
Clinton Bapiste said:
Oh! He's not that scary. He is when armed to the teeth with machetes and maces and balls'n'chains, but generally he's into playing the Playstation, listening to music and the card-game, Canasta.
ya I know, but when I was 16 going to fibbers he tweaked me out. it was the black eyes, you see. but yeah some friends of mine know him and say he's lovely.
 

tommytrousers

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2003
Messages
1,295
Location
Banished to D5
Website
www.moutpiece.com
There was a band around 86-88 called Guernica that featured a guy who is a well known comedian now but who's name escapes me right now.
Ther was The Garden Hasn't Changed Much;a bunch o' lily livered southsiders aroundat that time too.

Not forgetting the one, the only, the magnificent...CACTUS WORLD NEWS!!!!
 

crumb

New Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2004
Messages
301
Location
Dublin
Website
www.crumbmusic.com
aurnia said:
Hi all

I was recommended to post here. I'm researching about old Irish goth bands (North and South of the Border) that gigged, demo'd etc during the 80's to the 90's, though era is not specific.

I'm a dj for Dominion goth club http://dominion.gothic.ie/ but also an "old farter", ie over 30!

Anyhow I'm on an email list iegoth http://groups.yahoo.com/group/iegoth/ and a thread came up about old bands. Now I tried to research way back in '99 and again in '01 but only got so far which wasn't too far at the time due to the lack of knowledge available.

So I'm hoping that there's a few other old farters out there that can help. Looking for anything on old bands, such as The Flesh Temple, Bouquet of Blue Roses, Stigmata Martyr which are bands I was just told about but have no info on. I'm also iffy on the details of House Of Byron.

Any help would be great. Plus if there's bands that I haven't mentioned, that would be brill too. I know the usual suspects, is VPrunes and it's off shoots, This Burning Effigy etc..

Pics also of bands, flyers of gigs, flyers of clubs is also appreciated, as is info from said clubs. I only went to the Grove, Olympic and Fetish and then organised my own clubs in McGonagles - the 2nd of which was the first Badlands.

The ulimate goal of this will be to develop a website to the forgotten goth of yore and then link it to the today stuff.

Thanks
Orla
There also was:
The Summer House- (they had a track on a comet compilation) and
Tower of Bable-(featuring Paul Lacey sound engineer)
Guernica -were more like early New Order, they were great but definitely not a goth band check out deep sea diving
Cold- semi goth played Joy Division covers

That's all I can think of for now.
 

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... if we have any.

Upgrade now

Buy me a coffeeBuy me a coffee

Who's Online

Staff online

  • pete
    chronic procrastinator

Members

Latest posts

Latest threads

Latest profile posts

Spotify integration is sorted - go here - https://thumped.com/bbs/account/connected-accounts/ - to activate
I think I just bought Pete a coffee.
Everybody happy? Grand.
Well at least this is working properly now.