London to Granada by train (1 Viewer)

broken arm

Hello,
I'm working out how to get to Granada (south of spain) from London. it's possible

Has anyone travelled on the trainhotel from Paris to Madrid?

Do the departure time match up well with the Eurostar and the train from madrid to granada? I'm asking before i go trawling through all the timetables........

thanks.com

LWT800.jpg

IG2_trainset.jpg

Granada800.jpg

ReadySteadyJedi said:
I have some idea the new improved Orient Express crowd do one from paris to greneda, but i think it might be a luxury coach only.

I have it sorted. It'll take a day and a bit - with a little hanging out in paris and madrid.

afternoon eurostar from london to paris. overnight train from paris to madrid. arrive madrid about 9 in the morning. check out madrid for the day. get afternoon or evening train to granada. pitch tent/go to hotel. find pub. holiday!!!!

ReadySteadyJedi said:
Quality! Cost?

its working out at about £180 return from london

the other option was to fly from Cardiff to Malaga - about £152 return with a bus journey from malaga airport to malaga and a bus from malaga to granada (not sure of costs of buses) - it looks like it'll be only a tenner or so more but we get to spend a few hours in Paris and a most of the day in Madrid on the way.

buses in and around malaga are cheap, it was about 10 europes from malaga to grananda last time i did it. granada is gangbusters, really nice in all ways. if you're going to al hambra make sure to get there in the morning and get a spot for the afternoon - they have fixed entry times. it was 10 euro in a couple of years ago.

there's a restaurant down by the cathedral that serves your food in the ajoining square, accompanied by live cello. makes you feel like hercule poirot or something, but it's good. free tapas galore around there too. see also the moorish covered markets, which sell alot of guff, but is nice. there's also a giant taxidermied bull in the window of a shop.

i took the train from malaga to paris, but got stuck with a stopover in hendaye and a miserable overnight without accomodation in madrid. the spanish train from malaga to madrid was really comfortable, and the bit at the malaga end had loads of nice scenery. i missed much of paris because of sleep, and was on a nasty cheapo train, but the spain-france border area had loads of nice views. if you hadn't already paid for it i would have said get the euro26 card if you can get it, 50% off train travel in spain.

the bongo said:
also the moorish covered markets, which sell alot of guff, but is nice.

nice one. part of the reason we are going is to there is to explore the moorish heritage. We won't be staying in Granada all the time but doing a short tour (on our own) to places like Cordoba. I was at a confernece about Islamic art and architecture a year or two ago and one of the presentation was on the moorish architectural heritage of southern spain. i have wanted to go since then.

the bongo said:
if you hadn't already paid for it i would have said get the euro26 card if you can get it, 50% off train travel in spain.

alas i'm just past that.

--------------------------------------------

the mosque in cordoba

outside
hypostyl_cordo.aer.lg.jpg

inside
cordoba_mosque.jpg

the Mezquita (sp?) - that mosque - is an amazing spot. was there a couple o' year ago. the alhambra ditto - as stressed get there early in the mornng and you'll have the place more or less to yourselves. There's also something in Seville that makes up the third part of that trinity. didn't get there myself but supposed to be the best of the lot.

www.carmalaga.com/image/ architecture-caja-1.jpg

Calle Elvira (Street Elvira, i don´t remenber the number)
Hostal Cascabel

it is a bar in the street and the rooms are upstairs, the people is nice and you can smoke
hash in the bar. Your friends must to ask to the waiter.

right.

just a note of caution to anyone thinking of doing this - i.e. the paris to madrid overnight train. The SNCF website is a frickin nightmare. It has a really bad booking system that seems to be insaneoid. But if you stick with it you'll get what you want. You can book through Rail Europe but they charge you a small fee and give you the more expensive options so meh to that. If you are travelling 2nd class as seperate sexes you will be put into different cabins (not like the trans siberian express). I ended up paying a bit more for a 1st class cabin for the two of us so it'll be vibes all the way.

I was seriously considering walking from Granada to Cordoba and seville soon before the summer would melt me, and some of the balearics. Looks like a pretty cool area in parts of Andalucia, love the moorish influence. However my dole officer wants to have a chat with me soon though,.... spoilsport.

Edit - interesting little aside, saw on a programme when the moors needed help from some north africans a few hundred years later the african lads were shocked at what a big bunch of nancies the moors had turned into, it was the only spot that islam had ever really existed in a friendly climate and the people had the luxury to become fat and flamboyant. (nerd)

is it possible to pre book tickets for the alhambra on the web?

couldn't figure it out.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back