Leaving the Catholic Church - countmeout.ie (1 Viewer)

maims bond

This has come up a number of times in various threads but I reckon this is the most appropriate one.

The information on this is fairly sparse so myself and a few others have got together and produced countmeout.ie. The site generates all the forms you need to leave the church, lists all dioceses and has an FAQ etc.

So if you were disgusted by the Ryan Report, don't like the state's close relationship with the church or are just plainly an atheist/agnostic and want out then we hope this site will be useful for you.

You can also join the facebook group here and follow us on twitter: @countmeout.ie

Any feedback, comments, abuse welcome.

Re: Leaving the Catholic Church

Could you explain why it would be necessary to "leave" the church if you're an atheist/agnostic? I mean I went through the whole shebang from baptism to confo but now I have nothing to do with the church, why would I want/need to "leave"?

if only I could opt out of humanity!!!!1

Could you explain why it would be necessary to "leave" the church if you're an atheist/agnostic? I mean I went through the whole shebang from baptism to confo but now I have nothing to do with the church, why would I want/need to "leave"?

Well the site offers some reasons as to why you would choose to leave:

If you were baptised as a Catholic you are still counted among the congregation of the church, regardless of what beliefs you currently hold. Here are some reasons why you may wish to leave:

• You no longer subscribe to the Catholic ethos, or are a 'lapsed' Catholic and you
    • Do not wish to be counted as a member;
    • Are appalled by the revelations concerning clerical abuse and wish to formally leave the church as a symbolic action;
    • Do not approve of the close relationship between the church and the Irish state and wish to contribute to its dismantling.
  • You wish to join another faith/religion.

Church Abuse Scandals

The Catholic church has been rocked by countless scandals involving physical, sexual and emotional abuse of mostly young children. This has been most recently documented in the Ryan Report which stated that children lived in "a climate of fear" and that "sexual abuse was endemic in boys institutions". The public reaction to the report was one of shock and outrage. Formally defecting from the Catholic church is one way of letting church authorities know how you feel about these scandals.

Church/State Relations

Ireland has long been regarded as a traditionally Catholic country. As such, the state has afforded the Catholic church a role in the provision of a range of key social services. For example, 98% of primary schools are funded by the state and yet are managed by the local Catholic bishop. Many hospitals are funded by the state and run by the Catholic church. The institutions where the abuse documented in the Ryan Report occurred were all run by Catholic orders. In modern Ireland, do we really want to maintain this close relationship between the church and state? Formally defecting from the Catholic church sends an unambiguous message that you no longer wish to be counted in a statistic used to justify the church's role in the state's social services.

Emotional Satisfaction

Some may argue that simply being a "lapsed" Catholic (i.e. not going to mass, not praying etc.) is enough of a step. There are others that feel this does not go far enough for them, it does not provide the emotional satisfaction they require. Formally defecting from the Catholic church is the best means possible to make a clean break with the church.

The funding of schools is an interesting one.
Any parents here have kids in secular schools or are looking at it as a future option? Are they all private(maybe a silly question when 2 % funding is going towards c.o.i/moslem etc)if so, are they pricey?
if so, what kind of demographics are we lookin at in the next 20 years if their is a considerable shift to secular education etc etc etc.

The funding of schools is an interesting one.
Any parents here have kids in secular schools or are looking at it as a future option? Are they all private(maybe a silly question when 2 % funding is going towards c.o.i/moslem etc)if so, are they pricey?
if so, what kind of demographics are we lookin at in the next 20 years if their is a considerable shift to secular education etc etc etc.

our two are down for local Church of Ireland primary school.

after that, who knows.

time to bring back hedge schools?

Formally defecting from the Catholic church sends an unambiguous message that you no longer wish to be counted in a statistic used to justify the church's role in the state's social services.

I'd imagine the census figures are what would be used for this.

I'd imagine the census figures are what would be used for this.

Yeah, but how many non-practicing/non-believing Catholics marked themselves down as Catholic simply because they technically are still Catholic? There's no box to tick for atheist.

Well the site offers some reasons as to why you would choose to leave:

If you were baptised as a Catholic you are still counted among the congregation of the church, regardless of what beliefs you currently hold. Here are some reasons why you may wish to leave:

• You no longer subscribe to the Catholic ethos, or are a 'lapsed' Catholic and you
    • Do not wish to be counted as a member;
    • Are appalled by the revelations concerning clerical abuse and wish to formally leave the church as a symbolic action;
    • Do not approve of the close relationship between the church and the Irish state and wish to contribute to its dismantling.
  • You wish to join another faith/religion.
Church Abuse Scandals

The Catholic church has been rocked by countless scandals involving physical, sexual and emotional abuse of mostly young children. This has been most recently documented in the Ryan Report which stated that children lived in "a climate of fear" and that "sexual abuse was endemic in boys institutions". The public reaction to the report was one of shock and outrage. Formally defecting from the Catholic church is one way of letting church authorities know how you feel about these scandals.

Church/State Relations

Ireland has long been regarded as a traditionally Catholic country. As such, the state has afforded the Catholic church a role in the provision of a range of key social services. For example, 98% of primary schools are funded by the state and yet are managed by the local Catholic bishop. Many hospitals are funded by the state and run by the Catholic church. The institutions where the abuse documented in the Ryan Report occurred were all run by Catholic orders. In modern Ireland, do we really want to maintain this close relationship between the church and state? Formally defecting from the Catholic church sends an unambiguous message that you no longer wish to be counted in a statistic used to justify the church's role in the state's social services.

Emotional Satisfaction

Some may argue that simply being a "lapsed" Catholic (i.e. not going to mass, not praying etc.) is enough of a step. There are others that feel this does not go far enough for them, it does not provide the emotional satisfaction they require. Formally defecting from the Catholic church is the best means possible to make a clean break with the church.

I have my young fella's name down for the little protestant schoool in Raheny. I am willing to bring him to the CoI or unitarian church to get him dipped in the font if this will help the cause. Do I have to 'sign out' of the RC Church to do this?.
I'm an atheist but would have no problem with the lad receiving a good christian values based edgumecation as long as it's not catholic. can he be a nominal proddie 'for the record' like?

I have my young fella's name down for the little protestant schoool in Raheny. I am willing to bring him to the CoI or unitarian church to get him dipped in the font if this will help the cause. Do I have to 'sign out' of the RC Church to do this?.
I'm an atheist but would have no problem with the lad receiving a good christian values based edgumecation as long as it's not catholic. can he be a nominal proddie 'for the record' like?

I'm not too sure on this one. Rights to education is a grey area and something we have written to the dept of education about. But as far as I am aware, you're membership of the church should have no bearing on your kid being dipped into another cult...i mean...religion.

I was a big U2 fan when I was 12. I used to go to see them play gigs and everything. Now I hate them. I figured just not going anymore would do. Following the churchy logic, do I need to fill out a form to leave?

Seriously though, why does anyone give 2 shits? If you want to go, go. If not, don't go. But fuck this shit with forms and the like.

I was a big U2 fan when I was 12. I used to go to see them play gigs and everything. Now I hate them. I figured just not going anymore would do. Following the churchy logic, do I need to fill out a form to leave?

Seriously though, why does anyone give 2 shits? If you want to go, go. If not, don't go. But fuck this shit with forms and the like.

if you want to officially leave the religion I don't see what's wrong with filling out the forms or the information on how to do this being available

Well that is an option and we've tried to address that on the site. However, for some, particularly after the Ryan Report, simply not going is not enough of a break. They want a formal, in writing break. Reasonable enough if you ask me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back