Learning Guitar (1 Viewer)

Jim Daniels

Burls Forever
Supporter
Since 2000
Website
twitter.com
Instead of (because of?) having a mid-life crisis, I've decided to take acoustic guitar lessons. Whats the story?! Its REALLY hard!

At the risk of sounding like a Nivea model, I have the following questions to ask of all you guitar heroes

1. When will my 37 year old fingers begin forgiving me, and toughen up after their, to date, most sheltered life?

2. How long does it take those fingers to mind their own business and stop rubbing against the wrong strings.

3. After ten two-hour lessons, will I be even able to strum a little bit?

4. Will girls be impressed or distressed?

Any other late life learners out there?

you'll get the hang of it in no time. try to resist the temptation to impress people at a party by having the music turned off so that they can listen to you playing redemption song. the 10 lessons should see you well on the way. you could learn it easily from a book or youtube or something but the lessons might help you focus for a while so that you're less inclined to forget about it.

seriously, something like this would be handy for toughening up your fingers gently and getting you used to getting your fingers into the chord shapes properly

toy-guitar.jpg

chicks dig deejays now.
and always drummers for some reason.
sux dude.

are you competent at any other instrument? if so, youll be able to pick it up quicker using your ear, well was the case in my experience anyway. also, yes, after a while youll be able to stop making so many mistakes but patience is all importance. time is a shit.

Thanks for the advice Ernesto. And no, I've never played any other instrument and was told as a kid that I was tone deaf! Time is a killer alright.

And cheers Shaney. I might buy my nephew that guitar and forget to give it to him for a few weeks..

chicks dig deejays now.
and always drummers for some reason.
sux dude. .

Ah maan, wrong choice again!

I didn't start playing guitar until I was 22. Late enough I suppose. I had already been in bands though so I kinda had a head start.
Play regularly to toughen up the fingers. It probably won't take too long if you do that. Even 10 minutes a day or so but more if you can. It'll also help with accuracy etc. Being patient with yourself is very important too.

I started practicing guitar this week. I haven't actually practiced in about 7 years. It's quite exciting really.

Instead of (because of?) having a mid-life crisis, I've decided to take acoustic guitar lessons. Whats the story?! Its REALLY hard!

At the risk of sounding like a Nivea model, I have the following questions to ask of all you guitar heroes

1. When will my 37 year old fingers begin forgiving me, and toughen up after their, to date, most sheltered life?

2. How long does it take those fingers to mind their own business and stop rubbing against the wrong strings.

1. In a few months you'll be able to extinguish cigarettes with em

2. There's no real short cut. The more you play the quicker it all falls into place.

3. If not get a refund

4. Some will be mildly impressed until someone better looking comes along.

I'm playing 20 years this year. I though I'd be better and richer by now.

1. Why not give them a helping hand by slicing open your fingertips and holding them over a gas flame.

2. Forever

3. Jesus

4. Impressed, incest.

Hopefully this helps:)

Hey Guys,

I recently bought a jackson V with floyd rose tremolo and have noticed that the 15th fret on the d string buzzes like a bastard and when i pull back on the tremolo it mutes half way because the strings touch the fretboard.

Should i unlock the locking nuts and raise the bridge or what should i do?

Thanks in advance!
Jesus.
Why not give them a helping hand by slicing open your fingertips and holding them over a gas flame forever.
Hopefully this helps:)

seriously, something like this would be handy for toughening up your fingers gently and getting you used to getting your fingers into the chord shapes properly

Yeh, I learned on an ancient piece of shit with huge gaps between the strings and the fretboard. I had to work harder, but when I switched to a fancy schmancy electric it was like playing on air. Gives you finger-discipline or sumptin.

Guitar is one of those things that when you practice it you come along in leaps and bounds. You'll be working away at it for a while and it will be frustrating and horrible, then suddenly you'll be able to do something you couldn't before with little effort. If you stick at it this happens quite often and it's a great boost to your confidence.

The fingers toughening up is slow, and you go back to square one again if you're lazy about your practice, as I know too well.

Good luck!

what frona said

pick it up every day and play a bit

when you get the fingering and chords down there are loads of lessons on youtube

Don't go posting your version of classical gas on youtube til you have it sorted though

Aaaagh.. my future is not what it used to be

But thanks for all the tips folks...|..|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrad (BFB.ie)
Hey Guys,

I recently bought a jackson V with floyd rose tremolo and have noticed that the 15th fret on the d string buzzes like a bastard and when i pull back on the tremolo it mutes half way because the strings touch the fretboard.

Should i unlock the locking nuts and raise the bridge or what should i do?

Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back