learn russian, now! (1 Viewer)

no_exit

Website
www.livejournal.com
recently i made an excellent discovery. while watching a clockwork orange a few weeks ago, i realized something i had never seen before. all of the slang they use are actually russian words!
here are a few:
"horrorshow" is the way you pronounce the word for "good"
similarly:
droog= friend
devotchka=young girl
malenky=small

there are loads more... but i can't remember. cool, right?

yeh, i read all about that years ago when i was CO obsessed. There's an online glossary of "nadsat" someplace on the web - it's mostly just based on russian.
Good film.

Speaking of languages, does anybody know where or how I might go about learning Japanese? In book shops they only have dictionaries which are about as useful as.. they're not very useful. I'm planning on going to Tokyo next summer....

you can get a CD-ROM in Easons and other language shops. "Modern languages" on west land row and another language book shop on south frederick street in Dublin might be other places to find stuff. You'll find that speaking japanese is alot easier than reading & writing it. It's got 3 symbol systems which are all jointly used in sentences (katagana,hiragana & ganji). Ganji is a chinese symbol system in which every symbol has to be learnt, they're pretty much distinct. However, you can say stuff in katagana & hiragana which means the same thing in ganji.

You should also note, japanese people don't know how to read posh newspapers until they finish high-school!

can i come to Japan too, pretty please, strangely enuff last night literally just after i finsihed reading this post in work, i went downstairs and one of the clients said some word from the clockwork orange (for no reason!), whatever they call milk in that damn film, twas a bit of a weird moment though

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back