Lana del Rey (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter egg_
  • Start date
  • Replies 355
  • Views 40K
  • Watchers 8
She is dreadful and her entire career is an attempt to rewrite Criminal by Fiona Apple.

But I'm gonna give the new album a whirl anyway.

ps bump
I read a deadly review of a new book about all these songwriters now being middle aged Scandinavian men. Max martin et al.
It was in Newsweek. Left it on the fucking plane. Any idea what it's called?

I read a deadly review of a new book about all these songwriters now being middle aged Scandinavian men. Max martin et al.
It was in Newsweek. Left it on the fucking plane. Any idea what it's called?
this yoke? It looks good alright. Lefsetz thinks there's nothing new in it but it sounds like it brings together a whole load of disparate ideas from recent years

Amazon product ASIN 0393241920
The lad who (co)wrote all the songs on the Lana album wrote Heaven is a Place on Earth and You Get What You Give BTW

sorry, The Song Machine by John Seabrook

He wrote what must have been a shorter version for the New Yorker a few years back:

The Song Machine - The New Yorker

maybe the book got commissioned based on it?

Seabrook recounts an early collaboration between Max Martin and Dr. Luke. They are listening, reportedly, to the Yeah Yeah Yeahs’ “Maps”—an infectious love song, at least by indie-rock standards. Martin is being driven crazy by the song’s chorus, however, which drops in intensity from the verse. Dr. Luke says, “Why don’t we do that, but put a big chorus on it?” He reworks a guitar riff from the song and creates Kelly Clarkson’s breakout hit, “Since U Been Gone.”

This seems kinda mean.

That's the issue with the whole poptimism thing as I see it; yes it's empowering and a refreshing change from baby-boomer logic but you have to start doing some nifty tricks with your mind not to see the strings.

Last edited:
If you think of her as an artist in the same way as Patti Smith Nancy Sinatra or then you'll probably think she's a big phoney

If you think of her a member of a team of collaborators who want to create this idea of an enigmatic star called Lana Del Ray then it's much easier

If you think of her as an artist in the same way as Patti Smith Nancy Sinatra or then you'll probably think she's a big phoney

If you think of her a member of a team of collaborators who want to create this idea of an enigmatic star called Lana Del Ray then it's much easier
That's a fair point, but there's the whole Kanye West meta thing going on as well. You know, where they do something really cringe-worthy and people go "oh they know it's dumb, that's why they did it, that's why they're a genius". Drives me mad, MAD

Just listening to the latest lp now..3 mins into the first song ..fucking LOVING it.

SOunds great on the cans

Reminds me of Sandy Denny

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back